Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new 2011 Ody yesterday and currently declined the extended warranty; I won't receive the vehicle until next week and the dealer said just let them know if I still want it later.

It seems people on this forum tend towards purchasing it and I'm wondering why everyone seems to think it is so important. Is it because there is a tendency for many things to go wrong, or is it that if something goes wrong on the Ody it's typically very expensive repair (eg sliding doors)? I'm guessing it's the later, and people are just de-risking themselves from the expense even while the probability is quite low.

I have an '07 Fit that I purchased the Honda ext warranty on it for 5 years, so it's now 4 years and I've only used it once on oxygen sensor which I think would have only cost me a couple hundred bucks. That said, the Fit is less 'complex' than the Ody :) so probably fewer things to go wrong, but I haven't used the value I paid for the warranty.

I usually don't buy extended warranties on anything because it's essentially insurance and on average the insurer is making the money, so if the cost of incident won't break you, on average you do better not taking the coverage.

Thoughts on coverage for the 2011 Odyssey?
Would be really good to hear feedback from Honda mechanics on what they see coming in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you do purchase, save yourself a ton of money and buy it from another Honda dealer online. Just make sure it is a Honda warranty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can understand declining on a fit. I added it to my '11 Elite due to all the electronics it has. I had an '06 EX with the extended and I totally got my money's worth. Any issues I had was always taken care of by Honda. Plus it only adds a few more bucks per month. Why not pay a little more to be safe. It only takes one issue to be like "I should've added it when I had the chance."

·
Registered
118 Posts
They are an incredible waste of money but marketing has a lot of folks thinking they need one. Everyone selling these warranties makes a lot of money so a lot of effort goes into getting you to buy one.

There are plenty of instances where people can only afford a 20k vehicle but they want a 40k vehicle. In those cases they cannot afford any surprises so they take out insurance in the form of an extended warranty.

Trust your instincts and save your money. You will be far better off when you look back at it 20 years from now.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
Did you know that the dedicated Warranty Forum applies to ALL gens of the Oddy including the 2011s? Please post in correct forums to prevent your threads from getting locked.

There are several discussions in the Warranty Forum as to whether to get the warranty or not. They might be for the prior gen but the idea is the same and the logic/rhyme/reason still applied to the 2011s. Try and check the older threads out on why people buy warranties.

Its mostly for peace of mind. No warranty/insurace is beneficial to start out with. They are all scams and money makers but they do provide the most necessary peace in life. :)

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I never buy extended warranty's......However, Something told me to get one on this POS. Thank God I did...it has paid for itself 4 fold....at least. It's a dice roll.....but a good one these days with the quality of Honda

·
Registered
301 Posts
I don't really want to buy it but I am going to for my 11 Ody. I have never owned a Honda but I am used to Audi's 4 yr 50k mile standard warranty and not this 3 yr 36k mile one the Ody has. My wife and I have said we want this Ody to be a 10 yr car, so then I think Honca Care is a must.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't really want to buy it but I am going to for my 11 Ody. I have never owned a Honda but I am used to Audi's 4 yr 50k mile standard warranty and not this 3 yr 36k mile one the Ody has. My wife and I have said we want this Ody to be a 10 yr car, so then I think Honca Care is a must.
The question is whether you think you'll spend the additional >$1000 between yr 3 and yr 5; remember also it's how much more than the warranty cost you'll spend, because you've already locked into the ext warranty cost. I think the probability of such high repair costs will be quite low. It's a minor gamble that if I'm wrong, I can afford it (it won't break my bank). I would think an unexpected high cost repair (even if low probability) for anyone else driving around in a new Odyssey who is used to Audi's won't break their banks either. :DD

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wow. So many warranty info. I am not sure where to put in. I have a question.

For example: by looking at 8/120 extended warranty. Does it automatically start at 36,000 miles limited or 60,000 powertain? Extended warranted will be good until 156000 or 196,000?

Thank you.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The question is whether you think you'll spend the additional >$1000 between yr 3 and yr 5; remember also it's how much more than the warranty cost you'll spend, because you've already locked into the ext warranty cost. I think the probability of such high repair costs will be quite low. It's a minor gamble that if I'm wrong, I can afford it (it won't break my bank). I would think an unexpected high cost repair (even if low probability) for anyone else driving around in a new Odyssey who is used to Audi's won't break their banks either. :DD
Actually years 3 to 8 for the 8yr/120 warranty, which adds three more years for break down posibilities. I know I could have this car for 10+ years and have no major repairwork that is over $1k, but I think I would like to have the peace of mind. For .06% of the cost of the car I get another 5 years or 84,000 miles added on to the warranty.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Wow. So many warranty info. I am not sure where to put in. I have a question.

For example: by looking at 8/120 extended warranty. Does it automatically start at 36,000 miles limited or 60,000 powertain? Extended warranted will be good until 156000 or 196,000?

Thank you.
No, I don't believe that is how it works. You get up until 8 years or 120,000 miles of coverage. Your original warranty handles everything up to 3yr/36k miles and then the EW kicks in.

·
Registered
186 Posts
They are an incredible waste of money but marketing has a lot of folks thinking they need one. Everyone selling these warranties makes a lot of money so a lot of effort goes into getting you to buy one.

There are plenty of instances where people can only afford a 20k vehicle but they want a 40k vehicle. In those cases they cannot afford any surprises so they take out insurance in the form of an extended warranty.

Trust your instincts and save your money. You will be far better off when you look back at it 20 years from now.
I completely disagree...we replaced our '02 Odyssey with an '11 and bought the 8/100k mile Honda Care plan for one reason - between July '05 and July '09, the period between end of original warranty and HC expiration, Honda Care covered each of the four major warranty repairs my '02 Odyssey needed - AC compressor x2, transmission sensor and alternator. It easily paid for itself 3 or 4 times over. Just one of those repairs could make up the cost of the contract. Well worth it in my opinion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts