Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we took delivery of our 2011 Touring Elite a couple weeks ago. All in all we love it! We had a 2008 Touring prior to this one. Of all the "new" features the 11 has (especially the Elite), there is one feature (functional) that is missing. Although the 11 has a TPMS, it does not identify the problem tire. From what I have read in the manual, it only tells you there is A tire with a problem. The 08 identified the exact tire, and displayed the pressures. According to the manual, the 11 doesn't do this. Of course I haven't lowered the pressure in a tire to test it yet, but I believe this to be true. Your take?

·
Registered
739 Posts
That's terrible. I love that feature. I also know that they deleted the inboard armrests in the second row captain seats. Also terrible. The instrument panel isn't as nice as before, they made the speedo smaller so its not as easy to read.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
I've got an 08 Pilot EXL that tells you which tire is an issue, and my 09 Odyssey EXL is similar to your 11 Ody...it only tells you there is an issue, but not which tire. Pathetic cost cutting measures.

·
Registered
144 Posts
that's surprising. i thought it would be nice, if unnecessary, to show the pressure of individual tires but to lose the ability to identify the problem wheel seems a bit lame. it really shouldn't be too difficult to have it show up in the in-dash display.

related to losing features, i would have appreciated the underfloor storage of the third gen...

·
Registered
8 Posts
When center seat is down in 2nd row, it acts as the armrests. My kids like it.
I am not crazy about the MID position (I liked it in the lower position. Can't get used to this) and the compass in it is gone. For someone with a poor sense of direction that is horrible!

·
Registered
786 Posts
psu ody fan said:
I've got an 08 Pilot EXL that tells you which tire is an issue, and my 09 Odyssey EXL is similar to your 11 Ody...it only tells you there is an issue, but not which tire. Pathetic cost cutting measures.
He had a Touring in 08 which did show specific tire info. Starting in 2007 I believe Honda gave all Odys a TPMS to be in accordance with the upcoming mandate. But LX, EX, & EXL's didn't tell the specific tire.

That really is awful that they deleted it. It makes you wonder if they even looked at a 3rd gen Ody when they designed the 4th. I would expect a 2011 Touring Elite to build on a 2010 Touring, not delete/replace features. But if I had to give an explanation, I would guess that the 3rd gen mainly had it because of the PAX system. When they dropped PAX though, they kept the feature included.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cntrtwnltd said:

That really is awful that they deleted it. It makes you wonder if they even looked at a 3rd gen Ody when they designed the 4th. I would expect a 2011 Touring Elite to build on a 2010 Touring, not delete/replace features.
My feeling exactly. I thought for sure I was missing something in the manual. I find it hard to believe that they would strip such a functional element of the information display when changing gens. What a shame. Maybe honda can "flash" our systems and add the feature back in?? :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Cntrtwnltd said:
He had a Touring in 08 which did show specific tire info. Starting in 2007 I believe Honda gave all Odys a TPMS to be in accordance with the upcoming mandate. But LX, EX, & EXL's didn't tell the specific tire.

That really is awful that they deleted it. It makes you wonder if they even looked at a 3rd gen Ody when they designed the 4th. I would expect a 2011 Touring Elite to build on a 2010 Touring, not delete/replace features. But if I had to give an explanation, I would guess that the 3rd gen mainly had it because of the PAX system. When they dropped PAX though, they kept the feature included.
The new 2011 touring has many features the 2010 touring doesn't, 6 speed automatic, 3mpg better highway, faster 0-60mph, bigger, better brakes , 1 more inch 3rd row legroom, barely slightly lighter curb weight by using more high tensile steel in the unibody and other improvements.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oddy03 said:
The new 2011 touring has many features the 2010 touring doesn't, 6 speed automatic, 3mpg better highway, faster 0-60mph, bigger, better brakes , 1 more inch 3rd row legroom, barely slightly lighter curb weight by using more high tensile steel in the unibody and other improvements.
I think many of us are well aware of the "additional" features the 4th Gen Ody has to offer. The point of the original post was to call attention to a feature present in the previous gen, but omitted this go around. Yes, the 11 brings many improvements, many of which that led us to the decision to get rid of the 08 and get the 11. I am not clear why the specific preasures, or at least the specific tire indications were pulled. Even if it was only a feature on the top of the line (with the 4th gen, that would be the Elite, which we have), I don't understand why it wouldnt be there anymore. Perhaps it caused people to rely too heavily on the gauges and opened Honda up to potential liability if there were inaccuracies in the preasure display in the instrument panel? Just curious.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Nah, its just cost cutting plain and simple. Another feature I miss, and my 08 doesn't have but my 05 had, was the folding cup holder on the outboard second row seats.

Maybe they'll add the TPMS back on the MMC? The Pilot Touring and the MDX still have them (the TPMS with readout) so its not like they dropped it all together.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
The Pontiac Vibe I rented a few weeks ago had a screen that told me the exact pressure at each tire.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
BigBoat said:
Do you mean the defunct Pontiac? Cost cutting was really needed there, better design, less costly bells and whistles :p

Ooops, off-topic, carry-on guys :D
I'm sure it came right out of the GM parts bin....same thing that is used on many entry level GM cars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
2011 Lost a feature

Thanks for the updates my 05 touring does show pressure in each wheel even after de-pax. I put new sensors in my 06 EX wheels that I bought from salvage.
Look under "Honey I shrunk the van" Note sun visors are not adjustable but were in my 05 Touring and a friends 05 EX.

I have not purchased an 11 and will not because the plus features don't equal the ones left out.

By the way figure 10000 miles at 26 MPG and same at 23 MPG and the diff is about 50 gallons or about $150 a year at $3 a gallon.

Thanks Honda for making my 05 look soooo good.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Re: 2011 Lost a feature

Johnofrpv said:
Thanks for the updates my 05 touring does show pressure in each wheel even after de-pax. I put new sensors in my 06 EX wheels that I bought from salvage.
Look under "Honey I shrunk the van" Note sun visors are not adjustable but were in my 05 Touring and a friends 05 EX.

I have not purchased an 11 and will not because the plus features don't equal the ones left out.

By the way figure 10000 miles at 26 MPG and same at 23 MPG and the diff is about 50 gallons or about $150 a year at $3 a gallon.

LOL.. Different strokes for different folks. My '11 is better overall than my '05, brakes.. no more soft spongy feeling brakes, I've already gotten 31mpg on a few long highway trips, best my 05 touring ever got was about 27mpg. Thats a big improvement. Acceleration, the '11 feels faster, road tests show .7 of a second 0-60mph.

Thanks Honda for making all the improvements to the 2011 new generation you did esp the brakes and gas mileage and finally a 6spd automatic which should have dropped in a few years back.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
psu ody fan said:
I'm sure it came right out of the GM parts bin....same thing that is used on many entry level GM cars.
Now that I read this again, actually it is the Toyota parts bin (Pontiac Vibe = Toyota Matrix) :eek: ;)

Johnofrpv said:
oddy03 said:
Thanks Honda for making all the improvements to the 2011 new generation you did esp the brakes and gas mileage and finally a 6spd automatic which should have dropped in a few years back.
And thank you Honda for making everybody happy, and for dropping the fugly Honda Element after the 2011 MY :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree that the readout of tire pressure was a useful feature and am sorry to see it deleted on the 2011. Biggest improvements I see are 1) The backup camera 2) Overall soundproofing - doors "thunk" like a luxury vehicle. 3) Wife likes the lighter steering. We've owned an 05 an 08 and now an 011 (all Tourings) and this is the quietest and best handling.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Re: 2011 Lost a feature

Johnofrpv said:

Objectively, that's just an absurd statement. Not to mention the fact that all of you are ignoring the content that Honda DID add over the years. For instance my '07 EX-L had no satellite radio, no backup camera of any kind, and no power liftgate. All pretty big deals. They were added in '08 and '09 (and of course are still on the current model.)

So, how do you like the nice MID display? Nevermind, you don't one, though I do enjoy that particular shade of puke green on the radio. Well, forget the radio anyway, you can listen to your ipod. Wait...no IPod connectivity on your van, so that's out. Okay, no music, maybe it would be nice to call mom and wish her well. Ahh, but you're in DC or NY, you have to use handsfree--and you don't have Bluetooth, now standard on EX-L and higher. Well, at least the sun visors are adjustable! Of course, everyone would be more comfortable in the new van, since it has significantly more room, but...that's okay, since your are paying more for fuel, better to discourage passengers anyway.

I could go on here. Please....give me a break. I'm glad people like their old vans. I liked mine too. There are legitimate gripes about the new ones, and a couple of relatively minor decontents. But...some of this is just ridiculous.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: Re: 2011 Lost a feature

MFLetou said:
I could go on here. Please....give me a break. I'm glad people like their old vans. I liked mine too. There are legitimate gripes about the new ones, and a couple of relatively minor decontents. But...some of this is just ridiculous.
I have to say that I agree with you. It does seem kind of silly to come into the 2011 section to bash it. You could just post in the earlier forums about how much you like yours.

·
Administrator
14,556 Posts
Re: Re: Re: 2011 Lost a feature

astroricardo said:
I have to say that I agree with you. It does seem kind of silly to come into the 2011 section to bash it. You could just post in the earlier forums about how much you like yours.
In case you haven't noticed (since you are new and all), bashing is all we do over here at the Odyclub. Prior gen forums are filled with bashing those gens. Same here. Nothing new. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts