Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those with the OEM NAV in they're ody. What's your opinion of it. I've been using it for about a month now and i think i've been more frustrated with it, than appreciative of it. I'm coming from a 05 Prius and and 00 MDX with touch screen. Both systems seem to work so much better than this. I feel the touch screen is easier to use than the dial. And it seems both systems find my locations that i want to enter easier. It seems like every time i try to enter something in the Ody, it can't find the road, or sends me out of state some where. It's pretty frustrating. Just seeing what luck other people are having.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I find the system to be pretty good. The business search feature is useless, but I've always had great success with address searches. I have a 2008 Acura TL-S, with the touchscreen navi, and I like the odyssey's navi much much better.
The traffic feature (traffic speed) is a total waste though. I only have information for a segment on a large state road near my house. Highways display no speed information at all. I took a 500mile trip from Clearwater FL to Altanta Ga, and I had 0 speed information displayed on the navi, and yes, it is 'checked' in the stuff to display.

·
Registered
687 Posts
No complaints here!

It's not as good as my portable Garmin, but better than a lot of GPSes I have seen in other cars. The jog dial takes some getting used to, but the screen is bright with good resolution and there are no fingerprints. I done searches (mostly local area with some out of town searches during a road trip) and it found the street/address/location pretty much each time.

:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is the first Nav system I've ever had so I don't have a whole lot to compare it to. I do have the good 'ole Garmin. But the convenience of the Nav system in the van far outweighs. I love it. I'm not one that like to get finger prints all over my screen - so that's kind of an extra bonus to me.

I haven't had any problems with it thus far. But of course, I have only had it for 3 days now. ;)

·
Super Moderator
13,842 Posts
My opinion is that Navigation related questions should be posted in the dedicated Navigation related forum. ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Does the new 2011 Navigation use a jog dial now? My 08 uses the touch screen and I like it a lot. It is very good and I have the Garmin 1450 as well for when we fly away on trips. I have used the BMW job dial and not a big fan of it. I wonder if it is like that.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Does the new 2011 Navigation use a jog dial now? My 08 uses the touch screen and I like it a lot. It is very good and I have the Garmin 1450 as well for when we fly away on trips. I have used the BMW job dial and not a big fan of it. I wonder if it is like that.
No, it's much easier to use than the BMW unit. The newer bmws seem better though, but my dad had a 2006 5 series, and that wasn't very user friendly.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I wish we could get a more detailed and 3D view on the Honda Navigation maps.

I shudder to think how much it'll cost to upgrade this thing in a few years!

:rollingeyes:

·
Registered
193 Posts
The $189 yearly data upgrade is crazy. A few more years and the unit in my 2006 will seem like a hardwired car mobile phone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I moved from a 2005 Toyota 4Runner with a touch screen. I didn't like the jog dial at first, but now that I've gotten the hang of it I find it nice to use. The directions that the Odyssey uses are better than the 4Runner because it does a better job of describing which lane to be in at a big highway interchange.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Looking to get an EX-L or EX-L with NAV, is the NAV worth it? Whats your experience?

So it is a $2k option (maybe less if I can negotiate a good deal) and you get integrated NAV and traffic, 3 position backup camera and voice control. Oh and a slighly better stereo.

Is this worth the money? One salesman told me the voice control is for more than just the NAV, is he correct? I have not been able to find anything detailing this. Also, is the tri-view backup camera worth it vs the single view version?

There are more EX-L's with NAV around than just EX-L's and I don't want RES, I would rather just buy my kids an iPad so they can take it with them when they leave the car.

I have no problem buying a Garmin and using a ProClip mount, but I would like to have it integrated if it is worth it.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,842 Posts
Did you know that we have a dedicated forum for audio/video/NAV?

Also, this is one of the top 6 questions for new prospective buyer for not only this 2011 gen van but prior gen van too. It was a 2K option for the prior gen as well.

You might benefit from reading all the prior posts on the subject by searching on them. There are several threads asking this exact question not only for the prior gen but explicitly for the 2011 model too.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I will offer my $.02. I definately did not want nav - esp $2K option on the Ody. However when we were shopping for a '10 at the end of model year, all we could find was with nav. We negotiated so it was only $1k more. We have actually used it alot! Don't use it day to day, but have occasion at least 1 time/month that it is useful. Plus on the '10 we got backup display and bluetooth - both bounses. Integration to vehicle is very nice!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Welcome to Odyclub Raistlin. Since you are new here, I'm going to give you a word of advice that the moderator dvpatel normally gives.

First, do a search before starting a new thread. Often, your questions and inquiries have already been asked and discussed.

Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - Announcements in Forum : 2011 + Odyssey

Secondly, please post appropriate questions in the appropriate forums. dvpatel will probably move this thread to the Audio, Video, Security & Navigation forum:

Audio, Video, Security & Navigation - Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums

Anyway, there is an existing thread that discusses the navigation system:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/11-au...ion/149512-navigation-whats-your-opinion.html

;)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Did you know that we have a dedicated forum for audio/video/NAV?

Also, this is one of the top 6 questions for new prospective buyer for not only this 2011 gen van but prior gen van too. It was a 2K option for the prior gen as well.

You might benefit from reading all the prior posts on the subject by searching on them. There are several threads asking this exact question not only for the prior gen but explicitly for the 2011 model too.
I have been reading (still am going through the forums/threads), I am looking to call my salesman today and hoped I could get a quick response from someone who maybe just went through this and had some good insight.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I will offer my $.02. I definately did not want nav - esp $2K option on the Ody. However when we were shopping for a '10 at the end of model year, all we could find was with nav. We negotiated so it was only $1k more. We have actually used it alot! Don't use it day to day, but have occasion at least 1 time/month that it is useful. Plus on the '10 we got backup display and bluetooth - both bounses. Integration to vehicle is very nice!
Thanks for your opinion, I think the NAV option for 11 is less desirable than previous years because the EX-L comes with backup camera and bluetooth already. This is why I would like some opinions, if the NAV option included the backup cam and bluetooth then it would be worth it.

·
Super Moderator
13,842 Posts
The fastest way to get a response it to go through the old threads. They come sorted by the newest ones first in the search results. :)

Another thing the old threads do is when you post to it, the subscribers to the thread get an email and they tend to look at the thread and reply v/s going through all the new threads. :)

Gstom1 already linked you to one of the 2011 specific thread. Hope you get your answers in there.

I will later merge this into that one.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I had very specific questions about the NAV option for 2011 including the extras that come with it.

I don't think my question was only about the NAV, I wanted to know if the option with all extras is worth it.

Maybe I should have titled the post better.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Check out some of the videos on Youtube that discuss the Nav and other technology that come with the 2011 Honda odyssey:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIAiK624e80

Whether they are worth it our not is something only you can determine. Do you value the Nav, RES, etc. and are you willing to the thousands of dollars extra to have them?

:huh:

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
rear theater mode? i need to find how i can get in that mode, usually moves blast me away on the front seat and passengers in the back can't hear what's being said

1 - 20 of 39 Posts