Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from South Dakota. New to this forum. Forgive me if this is a discussion that has been had before.

About three months ago we purchased a 2011 Ody with 72k on it. A couple weeks ago the CEL and TCS lights came on. Engine was running smoothly as far as I could tell. Took it to the dealer, they change all 6 plugs as the codes suggested misfire in cylinders 5&6. About 5 days after that was complete same lights came on took it back to the dealer and they determined it was the fuel injector(s). The put some fuel injector cleaner in it to see if that would solve the problem. About 3 days after that the lights came back on. So now we are at a point where we need to spend a little money to solve the problem. The dealer quoted fuel injector replacement and valve adjustment at $1450. I called an independent repair shop I trust to get their take on it. This is without them looking at the vehicle, but they mentioned they might start with the valve adjustment first to see if that takes care of the issue. I plan on having them take a look at the vehicle tomorrow hopefully. But it brought up a question in my mind. Would the dealer be able to determine whether 100% it was the fuel injectors? If so, why the need for the valve adjustment? Does it make sense to do the valve adjustment first to see if that fixes the problem? Or does it makes sense to just do it all?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
There could be a number of issues. I believe there has actually been reports of codes like this from an improper type of oil filter used. The variable cylinder management (VCM) is very particular with oil pressure. If it’s colder than heck, incorrect oil were used, and particular oil filters it will throw codes. When’s last time you changed the oil and what type of filter was used?

Speaking of VCM I’d highly recommend that you research VCM inhibit devices. They essentially trick the engine controller to never allow the VCM to become active. Lots of reports of carbon buildup in the piston rings causing extensive engine damage. By installing a defeat device you avoid this costly scenario and it really does not affect mileage by an appreciable amount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Btw - Unless your using some really awful fuel I’d have a hard time believing your injectors are damaged at 75K miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When’s last time you changed the oil and what type of filter was used?

Speaking of VCM I’d highly recommend that you research VCM inhibit devices. They essentially trick the engine controller to never allow the VCM to become active. Lots of reports of carbon buildup in the piston rings causing extensive engine damage. By installing a defeat device you avoid this costly scenario and it really does not affect mileage by an appreciable amount.

I had the oil changed soon after we purchased it at the same Honda dealer so I assume type of oil and filter would be Honda recommended?

I will research that VCM deal. I'm not entirely sure what that even is.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,341 Posts
A valve adjustment is an odd suggestion. It is before the factory recommended interval to do anything more than check the clearances. Even then, it only says "adjust if noisy" and that's about it. Most find their valves are fine even past 100k miles.

Similar deal with the injectors. 72k miles and 8 years means the van was driven reasonably often, so the injectors should still be good. They have a tendency to have problems only if they are let to sit (not driven) for long periods of time with ethanol fuel.

Just so you feel better, the traction control light comes on with the check engine light, so nothing is likely wrong there. Manufacturers like to turn on lots of warning lights to get people to go to the dealer to get things serviced...

Did the dealer mention anything about how the spark plugs looked when they were changed? They really should keep them and show the customer, but they never do. Also cylinders 5 and 6 should be unaffected by VCM issues, as they are never off...

-Charlie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A valve adjustment is an odd suggestion. It is before the factory recommended interval to do anything more than check the clearances. Even then, it only says "adjust if noisy" and that's about it. Most find their valves are fine even past 100k miles.

Similar deal with the injectors. 72k miles and 8 years means the van was driven reasonably often, so the injectors should still be good. They have a tendency to have problems only if they are let to sit (not driven) for long periods of time with ethanol fuel.

id the dealer mention anything about how the spark plugs looked when they were changed? They really should keep them and show the customer, but they never do. Also cylinders 5 and 6 should be unaffected by VCM issues, as they are never off...

-Charlie
Yeah I'm not a tech so I just don't know what to believe. I have to think the dealer wouldn't be lying. They have been good to work with so far. Tough to tell how the vehicle was driven prior to us purchasing.

They did not show me the sparkplugs after they changed them and I didn't think to ask. Wish I would have now though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Researching this VCM inhibitor stuff has me thinking. Would it make sense to none of those repairs, install an inhibitor, wipe the codes and see what that does?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts