Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many posts I have read recently, I was driving along and the check engine light went on solid. This was followed by engine shaking and shuddering. Trouble with acceleration but was able to get it home. I let the car cool off, removed the engine cover and turned on the ignition. I began unplugging the on coil packs individually to test each cylinder. I experienced a drop off in rpm and increased shuddering of the engine on each of the plugs tested in the front of the engine. I then proceeded to test each coil in the rear. The first one I unplugged did not change the idle at all (position 3). I thought I found the problem but when I tested coils in positions 2 and 1 respectively the idle and shudder also remained the same (no change).
Is it possible for all cylinders in the rear to have a problem at the same time? Is there a particular order that I should be testing these coil packs in? Any feedback is much appreciated.

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
You have the infamous VCM misfire issue which has been covered under extended warranty due to a class action lawsuit. It may be nearing the end of the extended warranty on it but I'd take it just the way it is to the nearest Honda dealer. It's likely going to need new piston rings in cylinders 1-3 or 1-4 and new plugs. Once that's done, purchase a VCMTunerII and install that to prevent the "ECO" or VCM from activating.

Reactions: MtMan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow!!! that's great info. Thank you!!! I just read up on this extended warranty. Since my vehicle is a 2011 will they honor the warranty until the end of the year or is it based on the month of purchase? What are your thoughts.

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
It's usually based on the date of first sale. If they won't do it under warranty then I'd order the VCMTunerII, replace the plugs and hope the rings clean themselves up after it gets a chance to run on all 6 cylinders for a period of time.

You need to get it in, though, to at least see what they will do. Do not change the plugs yourself. To be covered, you have to have current codes of P0301 through P0304 and have oil-fouled plugs. If you have a P0305 or P0306 that won't be covered.

Reactions: MtMan
1 - 4 of 4 Posts