Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 ody that is just about to reach it's 100,000 miles mark. I have not had any real issues however in the last 2 months I have had the R/F CV Axle replaced, L/F Sway bar/stabilizer links replaced, and rear brake pad/rotors replaced. I'm looking for a list of items that I need to start thinking about having replaced proactively before I start having issues when an ody reaches the 100,000 miles mark and beyond. Just made my last payment so it's all mine and I would like to keep it running for as long as I can. I would greatly appreciate any advice on the things I need to have replaced prior to something going wrong first. Thanks to everyone for their time and effort,

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
Do you follow the maintenance minder? If so, the code(s) for the timing belt service and spark plug replacement will be coming up. The interval for that before there was a minder was 105,000 miles.

What else should be on your radar? Well we have had reports of folks with your vintage vans having the spool valve gasket leak onto the alternator killing it.

I do hope you have been keeping up with trans fluid changes...

·
Registered
641 Posts
Starter and alternator should be next to go. Not a big deal. Just replace when they stop working. ON my 2001, 215,000 miles, still original alternator. (seems on generation 2, alternators last longer). Just replaced 02 sensors, but originals were still working. Just replaced CV Axle, at 215,000 miles, boot started leaking.

So, happy driving. Van paid for! Just keep "slush fund", for repairs. Hard to predict life of components.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you follow the maintenance minder? If so, the code(s) for the timing belt service and spark plug replacement will be coming up. The interval for that before there was a minder was 105,000 miles.

What else should be on your radar? Well we have had reports of folks with your vintage vans having the spool valve gasket leak onto the alternator killing it.

I do hope you have been keeping up with trans fluid changes...
I do follow the maintenance minder and have had it serviced regularly. Please forgive my lack of knowledge when it comes to your language, when you say trans fluid changes are you referring to maintenance minder of old changes or transmission fluid changes or both? Even thought I do follow the maintenance minder I wouldn't mind even getting ahead of that. I would like to do a little each month or every other month so I'm not hit with a big bill all at once if or when something goes wrong
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
234K on a 2012. Still on my original axles & starter. I change fluids & drive. At 100K & 200K, I did the belts etc. 2 set of front rotors. No issues to speak of otherwise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
234K on a 2012. Still on my original axles & starter. I change fluids & drive. At 100K & 200K, I did the belts etc. 2 set of front rotors. No issues to speak of otherwise.
John,
When you say change fluids and drive what do you mean exactly? You have your oil changed every 3,000 miles and just drive? Thanks

·
Registered
481 Posts
You are due for a new timing belt kit.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
John,
When you say change fluids and drive what do you mean exactly? You have your oil changed every 3,000 miles and just drive? Thanks
Oil/filter every 6,000 miles. Trans oil every 12 or 18,000 miles depending if I’ve towed. Power Steering & Brake fluid every fall (Suck out and refill). Full brake fluid exchange/ bleed every other year.

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
Yes, by trans, I mean the transmission fluid. That gets changed every 30,000 miles and the MM (maintenance minder) should show a code 3.* A code 4 is coming next, the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, perhaps other bearings & idlers in there and the spark plugs. Start pricing (and saving) for that now. You can go a little over the miles, maybe to 110,000 without too much worry. Beyond that and you are playing with fire. Hondas have an interfeance engine. That means if the timing belt breaks, the valves will be bent.
It is recommended around here that, if you are not using the dealer for the timing belt service, insist the independent mechanic use a timing belt kit made by Aisin. They are said to make the parts for Honda. This is an expensive service, should last another 105k, so make sure it gets done right. Many here source the kit from Rock Auto. They are a forum sponsor and usually have a discount code active. If using an independent shop, see if they will allow you to bring your own parts.

*Note that others, including me, change the trans fluid much more often, like every 15k or every other oil change. The 30k interval is the factory recommendation and can be just fine for many folks. Some of us drive harder and load heavy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oil/filter every 6,000 miles. Trans oil every 12 or 18,000 miles depending if I’ve towed. Power Steering & Brake fluid every fall (Suck out and refill). Full brake fluid exchange/ bleed every other year.
John,
Thanks for the explanation and break down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, by trans, I mean the transmission fluid. That gets changed every 30,000 miles and the MM (maintenance minder) should show a code 3.* A code 4 is coming next, the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, perhaps other bearings & idlers in there and the spark plugs. Start pricing (and saving) for that now. You can go a little over the miles, maybe to 110,000 without too much worry. Beyond that and you are playing with fire. Hondas have an interfeance engine. That means if the timing belt breaks, the valves will be bent.
It is recommended around here that, if you are not using the dealer for the timing belt service, insist the independent mechanic use a timing belt kit made by Aisin. They are said to make the parts for Honda. This is an expensive service, should last another 105k, so make sure it gets done right. Many here source the kit from Rock Auto. They are a forum sponsor and usually have a discount code active. If using an independent shop, see if they will allow you to bring your own parts.

*Note that others, including me, change the trans fluid much more often, like every 15k or every other oil change. The 30k interval is the factory recommendation and can be just fine for many folks. Some of us drive harder and load heavy.
Egads,
Thanks so much for the detailed breakdown and explanation. Also, thanks for the advise on parts and weather I use independent shop or the dealer. It sounds like I should use the dealer for the timing belt to know I'm getting the correct parts and that it will be done right. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
, insist the independent mechanic use a timing belt kit made by Aisin. They are said to make the parts for Honda. This is an expensive service, should last another 105k, so make sure it gets done right.
My independent shop once put a $8 water pump (I saw the computer screen showing cost) on my Villager. A year later, just out of his warranty, the bearing went out..... From then on, I gave him the part numbers of the parts I wanted.... no more cheap "jobber" substitutes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Henbob, egads may want to clarify that trans fluid change is nothing more than draining the fluid by gravity and adding same amount of new Honda trans fluid. My 2011 EX-L drained 4 quarts exactly. There are many posts on Odyclub about frequency. If DIY there are very good You Tube videos. Power flushing is not allowed on Honda Odyssey transmission.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2011 ody that is just about to reach it's 100,000 miles mark. I have not had any real issues however in the last 2 months I have had the R/F CV Axle replaced, L/F Sway bar/stabilizer links replaced, and rear brake pad/rotors replaced. I'm looking for a list of items that I need to start thinking about having replaced proactively before I start having issues when an ody reaches the 100,000 miles mark and beyond. Just made my last payment so it's all mine and I would like to keep it running for as long as I can. I would greatly appreciate any advice on the things I need to have replaced prior to something going wrong first. Thanks to everyone for their time and effort,
I had a 2004 EX-L and I had the front struts and springs (came in a single unit for each side) replaced around 110,000 miles and this greatly improved the handling. Something to consider.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts