Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm almost certain of a negative answer, but I'll give it a shot.

Given that my wife is now driving the van, Has somebody tried to switch the outside temperature meter and the HVAC temp setting readings from Fahrenheit to Celsius like the models sold in Canada, Mexico and Middle East?

There may be hope, my other car switches readings from °F to °C and viceversa easily by pressing and holding one of the HVAC buttons for 3-4 seconds.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've found some Honda related press-n-hold tricks on the web, but they were mostly for the global models (Fit, Civic, Accord...). Tried them out but failed miserably :tongue:

Anyone with earlier Odyssey gens that may have a trick, I'm willing to try it

TIA

·
Banned
728 Posts
I've found some Honda related press-n-hold tricks on the web, but they were mostly for the global models (Fit, Civic, Accord...). Tried them out but failed miserably :tongue:

Anyone with earlier Odyssey gens that may have a trick, I'm willing to try it

TIA
I'm betting it need a programming adjustment by the dealer and isn't easily switched back and forth. The functionality is there though as the same vehicle is produced for both markets.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'm pretty sure in a friends Canadian Civic there is a button.

I also think (but will have to confirm) that there is a metric/imperial option on my wifes Sienna.

I have such a thing in my Avalanche as well.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Have you searched the owners manual. If there is an option it should be in there somewhere.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm pretty sure in a friends Canadian Civic there is a button.

I also think (but will have to confirm) that there is a metric/imperial option on my wifes Sienna.

I have such a thing in my Avalanche as well.
and that translates into?

Have you searched the owners manual. If there is an option it should be in there somewhere.
:)

I guess that means no good news so far :tongue:

·
Registered
506 Posts
I guess that means no good news so far :tongue:
Don't tell me this is yet another feature in the long list of features that the Sienna has over the Honda? :DD

·
Registered
427 Posts
Don't tell me this is yet another feature in the long list of features that the Sienna has over the Honda? :DD
LOL!. The most important feature the Honda has over the Sienna is the perfect 5 star crash rating, sorry to see the new Sienna only got 4 stars, including 2 star for the right front passenger.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
yet to be seen, but in all honesty i just posted it to give sienna owners an opportunity to justify their purchase and redeem themselves (in an odyssey forum) ;)
lol!. The most important feature the honda has over the sienna is the perfect 5 star crash rating, sorry to see the new sienna only got 4 stars, including 2 star for the right front passenger.
lol!

·
Registered
506 Posts
LOL!. The most important feature the Honda has over the Sienna is the perfect 5 star crash rating, sorry to see the new Sienna only got 4 stars, including 2 star for the right front passenger.
Just don't get into an accident then......;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was about to ask the same question as BigBoat asked so I don't need to repeat the question. This is shocking if Celsius readings are not an option. I don't know when Americans are going to adjust to the rest of the world and get rid of their amateur so called measuring system. In addition to the great waste it causes, you would think Americans would be embarrassed with their so called measuring system. Celsius temperature is the easiest thing to change since it is independent of other units of measurement and the change should be made immediately. The least that Honda could do is make Celsius temperature readings an option. It may be easier to understand that American engineers are too lazy to give it some thought but we all know the engineers in Japan know better.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I was about to ask the same question as BigBoat asked so I don't need to repeat the question. This is shocking if Celsius readings are not an option. I don't know when Americans are going to adjust to the rest of the world and get rid of their amateur so called measuring system. In addition to the great waste it causes, you would think Americans would be embarrassed with their so called measuring system. Celsius temperature is the easiest thing to change since it is independent of other units of measurement and the change should be made immediately. The least that Honda could do is make Celsius temperature readings an option. It may be easier to understand that American engineers are too lazy to give it some thought but we all know the engineers in Japan know better.
The country tried once in the late 70's or early 80's but it was rejected soundly. You're a new generation, instead of bitching try it again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That is not accurate, Moxie. It was not soundly rejected. Americans have been changing to the metric system but very slowly because Americans are too lazy, arrogant and dull-minded to make the change quickly as everyone else in the world did long ago. Americans have to change in order to be competitive in global markets as well as for efficiency reasons. Virtually all American automobiles and construction equipment have been manufactured by metric standards for years. Beverages are sold in metric units. Hospital emergency rooms use metric units to minimize the chance of mistakes. The list goes on. My point was that temperature is independent of metric units so the change to Celsius temperature can be done quickly and independently. By the way, I am hardly of the new generation. For 48 years I have been pushing slow, lazy Americans to catch up with the rest of the world. The change is continuing. For now there is no excuse that Honda cannot offer Celsius readings as an option.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks PSU and Moxie. Not all beverages are sold in metric units. The standard large size for soft drinks today is the 2 liter bottle. There are some smaller sizes for soft drinks but PSU is correct in that most smaller sizes are not metric (yet). The standard size for wine today is the 750 milliliter bottle. If we could make those changes without difficulty, we can start using the Celsius temperature scale today. We do not have to wait for tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
If we could make those changes without difficulty, we can start using the Celsius temperature scale today. We do not have to wait for tomorrow.
If it makes you feel any better, the bank on the corner has an outside time/temp display that scrolls from time ----> temp in farenheit-----> temp in celsius-----> time.......

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
While we're at it, we should force the lazy Americans to drive on the correct side of the road and to have light switches that go on just like the rest of the world so that when I go back and forth from my home country to the IS, there's no change. At it stands right now, I can't even drive back home. :D

On a more "on topic" reply, the prior gens used to have to replace the guage cluster and the climate control unit to get the metric readings. I would be surprised if the arrogant Honda will provide a switch like the American cars have to toggle between the two systems.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts