Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Insurance Institute of Highway Safety (IIHS) has just announced that model year 2011 Honda Odyssey managed to score the maximum rating in the latest crash tests conducted by the institute. The vehicle received a Good rating for protection in front, side and rear-impact crashes, wile roof strength in rollover crashes will be tested later this year.

The Odyssey reacted well to the crashes, with dummy movement well controlled in the frontal impact. "After the dummy moved forward into the frontal airbag, it rebounded into the seat without its head coming close to any stiff structure that could cause injury," IIHS said in the official results.

Although the driver and the passenger were pretty well protected, there were some forces that could have led to injuries to the lower leg, IIHS said. The vehicle thus earned Good for protection at the level of the head and the chest and acceptable when it comes to feet.

The 2011 Honda Odyssey went on sale in the United States in September 2010, with prices starting at $27,800. Safety features include side curtain airbags that use a rollover sensor, side airbags for the driver and front passenger, with the latter using an Occupant Position Detection, dual-stage front airbags, active head restrains for the front seats, electronic stability control and ABS with electronic brake distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist.

There are five trim levels available across the range, each of these being powered by a 3.5-liter V6 engine that develops 248 horsepower. The engine can be mated to either a five- or a six-speed automatic transmission.

AutoEvolution

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I hope it looks better wrecked........

·
Registered
786 Posts

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More on NHTSA: 2011 Honda Odyssey 5-Star Overall Safety Rating

The all-new 2011 Honda Odyssey has become the first minivan to earn the best possible vehicle score in the U.S. government's crash-test safety ratings, earning 5 stars overall from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in its New Car Assessment Program (NCAP).

The Odyssey was awarded 5-star ratings in NHTSA's frontal and side crash safety tests for all evaluated front and rear seating positions in all scenarios, and received 4 stars in the organization's rollover testing—the highest possible score for light trucks and minivans.

According to Honda, this achievement was supported by the performance of the Odyssey's Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) body structure, which represents a unique approach to vehicle design. The ACE setup relies on a series of connected structural elements that have been specifically developed to more evenly distribute crash energy throughout the front of the vehicle—not just to the lower load-bearing structures—reducing the amount of crash force that is transferred to the passenger compartment. Other notable standard safety content on the Odyssey includes:

• Vehicle Stability Assist with traction control

• Anti-lock braking

• Dual-stage multiple-threshold front airbags

• Side airbags for both the driver and front passenger

• A front-occupant position-detection system

• Active front-seat head restraints

• Three-point seatbelts at all seating positions

• A tire-pressure monitoring system

Honda's all-new minivan also features standard three-row side-curtain airbags with rollover sensors to help protect outboard passengers in all rows of seating. The system was designed so that if a crash occurs and sensors determine the airbags should deploy, they only do so on the impacted side of the vehicle unless there is a rollover. At that stage, all relevant airbags will deploy and remain at full inflation for roughly three seconds, providing a longer duration of protection during the likely increased duration of a rollover accident.

Also notable is the fact that the Honda Odyssey has been designed to protect pedestrians as well as passengers. For example, the hood of the minivan, the windshield wiper pivots and the hood hinges themselves were all developed to absorb crash energy in case of a collision with a pedestrian, not transfer it back to that person, and engineers built in extra clearance between the hood and the hard engine parts beneath it, again reducing the likelihood a pedestrian will strike an unforgiving part of the vehicle

Autotropolis

·
Registered
196 Posts
The system was designed so that if a crash occurs and sensors determine the airbags should deploy, they only do so on the impacted side of the vehicle unless there is a rollover. At that stage, all relevant airbags will deploy and remain at full inflation for roughly three seconds, providing a longer duration of protection during the likely increased duration of a rollover accident.
I haven't seen this talked about before. Cool stuff indeed.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Nice

Dunno, in this part of PA the 4th generation ones start looking much better than the aging ones, possibly because there are not tons of them in every parking lot (yet) and they don't look like my old 99 Civic :)

OK, off-topic :p
Which County are you in? :DD I was more referencing the fact that we're at complete opposite ends (I think he's in Lawrence county?) of the state yet agreed on the statment more than a Pennsylvania consensus.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Which County are you in? :DD I was more referencing the fact that we're at complete opposite ends (I think he's in Lawrence county?) of the state yet agreed on the statment more than a Pennsylvania consensus.
I'll make it easy, I'm your immediate neighbor to the left and caught around 1 foot of snow today :).

As per Lawrence County, Isn't that already part of Ohio?... Damn, now I'm in trouble :evil:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Excellent news, particularly on the stringent new NHTSA 5-star rating. No guarantee the last model would have scored 5 star (we'll never know.)

I had faith Honda would get this rate and it was rewarded. Major marketing win for Honda too.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I'll make it easy, I'm your immediate neighbor to the left and caught around 1 foot of snow today :).

As per Lawrence County, Isn't that already part of Ohio?... Damn, now I'm in trouble :evil:

Lawrence County Borders my county in PA...Mercer County. Lawrence is Home to New Castle.....the origional Jersey Shore Guido Club Headquarters.

Lots of Gold Chains, hairy chests and Rocky Balboa accents.....And you should see the men.....lol

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Oops...How could I forget....The Capitol of Big Hair and Bedazzled Sweat Shirts with matching stretch pants

·
Registered
786 Posts

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Notes from the USA Today related article

"Out of the more than 50 models NHTSA has tested so far, only 11 have earned a five-star rating under the revamped system: Acura MDX, BMW 5 Series, Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Cruze, Chevrolet Silverado, Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia, GMC Sierra, Honda Accord, Hyundai Sonata and Volvo XC60. NHTSA still has few more models left to test for 2011."

USA Today

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
"Out of the more than 50 models NHTSA has tested so far, only 11 have earned a five-star rating under the revamped system: Acura MDX, BMW 5 Series, Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Cruze, Chevrolet Silverado, Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia, GMC Sierra, Honda Accord, Hyundai Sonata and Volvo XC60. NHTSA still has few more models left to test for 2011."

USA Today
Of those eleven, only two have received 5-stars in all the individual frontal and side crash tests: the Honda Odyssey and the Chevy Cruze. While probably not a big deal in terms of overall safety, still pretty impressive.

If the Odyssey also earns an IIHS Top Safety Pick once tested for roof crush strength, it would join the Cruze, Hyundai Sonata, Volvo XC60 and perhaps a very few others as the only models to obtain overall top ratings from both the IIHS and in the new NHTSA rating system.

Still wondering why Honda didn't put lane departure and collision avoidance systems in an all-new vehicle targeted to families, even if only as an option or in Touring models. Other than that, it's hard to fault in terms of safety. I suspect those features will appear in the mid cycle refresh. I guess you gotta have something up your sleeve to entice buyers a few years into the model...

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
2011 Honda Odyssey features Brake Priority Logic

It seems that it made it for the 2011 Odyssey

Odyssey also features brake priority logic, which means that if the accelerator and the brake are both engaged, the vehicle prioritizes the brake more highly, a nifty but unnecessary response to Toyota’s not-so-long-ago woes

Autonet.ca

1 - 20 of 84 Posts