Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Odyssey Elite and Indiana has gotten their first snow/slush/rain for the season. The one thing that I've noticed on the Odyssey is that the inside front windshield has a lot of condensation on it. I don't mean just a little, I mean lots of little drops of water all over the inside of the window. I noticed this starting about three weeks ago. I noticed that a little wedge shaped area of condensation just to the right of the bottom middle of the front windshield. Tonight I went out (the car had been off for 2.5 hours and when I got in the car, the entire front windshield was covered with large droplets of condensate.

I don't think I've ever owned a car that did this as much as this Odyssey is!!!!

I'm beginning to wonder if I need to go buy 20 pounds of desiccant and see if I can dry out the interior of the car. It's getting to be a pain to always have to go out and use half a roll of paper towels to sop up the amount of condensate that forms on the INSIDE of the windshield. Ugg!

Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Curious what climate control setting do you have? Did you leave the a/c compressor on or off?

·
Registered
375 Posts
you might need a new windsheild- looks like it is not sealed. Also when using defrost, make sure AC is on, it defaults to on and make sure it the air is set for fresh and not recirc- recirc will cause condensation.

I had a windsheild replaced on another car and the new windsheild was not sealed properly and i had the same problem- turns out the installer did not use enough glue. Get it checked out at the dealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Curious what climate control setting do you have? Did you leave the a/c compressor on or off?
It was set on AUTO and I pressed the front defrost button (the button to the left of the mirrors & rear window heater button). I'll have to look at the manual. I'm not sure if the A/C was on or not. I know it was below 40 degrees so I would think that the A/C compressor wouldn't be on (I thought it wasn't good to run an A/C compressor when it's below 40 degrees outside). Of course it wasn't below 40 the entire time it was doing this.

It's a brand new car ( it had 7 miles on it when I bought it). If the windshield isn't sealed, then it wasn't sealed from the factor.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
If in auto the a/c was probably running.The 40 degree thing is old school. The A/C runs throughout the winter for defogging the windshield. Your s may not be working as if it isn't the windshield will fog in high humidity. First make sure the A/C is working and see if it is blowing any air on the windshield.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
To the OP, I believe this issue is not related to the A/C settings, the windshield is defective.

No crazy A/C setting or malfunction should generate moisture in-between the glass layers.

My 2 cents

·
Registered
112 Posts
To the OP, I believe this issue is not related to the A/C settings, the windshield is defective.

No crazy A/C setting or malfunction should generate moisture in-between the glass layers.

My 2 cents
I don't think the OP meant there was moisture on the inside surface of the windshield and not within the glass laminate.

Based on OP's statement the moisture was found after the van had been sitting for a couple of hours, I wonder if there was moisture in the van (wet carpet due to a leak, wet boots etc, or water pooled up in an all weather mat) causing the excessive humidity.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Very weird. If its that noticeable, its definitely something wrong. Wearing wet boots, or even a wet suit for that matter should not do something like that.

It could be as others described, a defect or poor seal. Upon closer inspection of my vehicle, I can tell you the seal on my windshiled is below average.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

My 2 cents
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I was trying to stress that the condensation was on the interior side of the front windshield (inside the car). It's not inside the glass.

I don't think I've ever seen anything like this much moisture condensed on the interior side of the windshield (even the side windows). This is like big huge droplets that formed. It's like the kind of droplets that form on the outside of your iced tea glass on a hot muggy day. I was kind of surprised that they hadn't run down the glass and made a mess. I had to wipe the window down with a rag just to drive (the rag was soaked), because to get that much condensate off the front window with just the front defroster blower would have taken an hour or more. I don't really know how long, but it would have been a long long time.

If this does this through the winter, I'll have to scrape the ice off the inside of the windshield as well as the outside. My daughter (age 14) made the comment that we needed a windshield wiper on the inside of the car.

Maybe it's a busted heater core hose or a bad heater core? I don't see any water anywhere in the van.

I did send my kids out with windex to clean the front windshield, but I can't imagine that that caused this issue.

I'll check around to see if there is any water on the carpet to check for leaks. I did get the black (form fitted) honda rubber floor mats about five days after I bought the car in April.

I've pretty much always left the car climate control system on AUTO for the entire time I've owned the car.

I'm going to call the dealer and make an appointment with the service people. I'll let you know what they say.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sure something is malfunctioning. if it were design many more would be complaining.
Maybe there is a leak in the heater core. Do you have any smell related to the condensation?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bump. Just found this post. I'm having the same issue. What ended up happening? Did you get a new windshield or did they tell you it was normal and to not use "recirc" on and use "fresh" air most of the time?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Same problem here. Brand new 2013 ODy touring elite.

Had a snow fall recently. After all the snow was removed, I noticed condensation on the inside. Went away after the van warmed up and set defrosting on. Bit distinct water droplets.
Thought it was a one time issue.

Had rain this morning and van was sitting in the rain. Same problem. Condensation inside the windshield. Went away after starting the engine and defrosting in minutes.

All this is leaving spots on the inside of the windshield.

Not sure what this issue is. Van is less than a month onld, about 1500 miles on it.

ANy thoughts!!!!!!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I just noticed mine doing this just this year. My friend said there's nothing wrong, but before this year, I don't remember seeing this on my w'shield. I don't know if anything is wrong or not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bump. Just found this post. I'm having the same issue. What ended up happening? Did you get a new windshield or did they tell you it was normal and to not use "recirc" on and use "fresh" air most of the time?
Sorry, I haven't been on here for a long time. I took the van to the dealer and I don't think they believed me. They said exactly what you said above, which wasn't really helpful. I ended up buying a bag of silica cat littler from the grocery store and filled 3 or 4 old socks with the stuff and put them around the van. I never had the problem again.

·
Registered
463 Posts
My guess: The sunroof drains are blocked/cracked and you're building up moisture inside the cabin, the pillars, etc. I don't know Odyssey's that well to be 100% certain but someone here probably does.

Our '07 Avalon XLS had this happen, there would be a little pool of water in the footwells during the rainy months and we could NOT figure it out. Moisture on the inside of the front and rear windows, sometimes so much the car couldn't be used until it was warmed up and wiped off. There was a TSB on the year/model but it was ONLY to be addressed if the car had any issues and within a ridiculously short time span. So our car likely had this issue for a while, nature use would keep it to a minimum but at some point it was too much. Sure enough, after several adventures and misdiagnosis a dealership knew exactly what was what and fixed the issue and we had water running forward and aft inside the roof lining and down the pillars. We had to run a dehumidifier in the car for weeks after this was fixed and pulled out a crazy amount of water.

It's worth looking into this possibility though it may be wrong it sounds all too familiar...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts