Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2011 odyssey exl with 119k miles.... we bought it in February with 104miles, second owner. I have always noticed something a little odd so I took it to a local shop in April and they drove it to see if they could see it (computer hooked up)... told me it was a misfire. The light would eventually come on but it wasn’t happening enough to trigger the light... so we decided to change spark plugs, wires, and coil packs... fast forward to July. Light came on, it could feel the engine shake, in park it had shakes and accelerating it clearly struggled. The code was p303? I think... misfire in cylinder 3.. recommended to change the coil pack. We did. Light went off. 2 weeks later light came back on with the same symptoms. Again it read misfire in cylinder 3... we thought the coil pack we put in was defective and it had a warranty so we replaced it again. Light went off and it ran ok. Last THursday after dropping a kid off at school the light came back on and had the same symptoms... that afternoon went back in it and upon starting it, it seemed fine, light was off and it was running as it should. Has ran fine all weekend. This morning I get in it get 10min down the road and I feel shakes (hard vibrations?) let off the gas it stop, step on gas it’s back, light comes on.... I don’t shut the car off and get it to a computer and once again misfire in cylinder 3. I have to get groceries, come out start it up, light is OFF, it’s driving fine!

Any ideas to what is going on. What could be causing this or a solution?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Search "VCM" on this forum and you will find tons of info about the cylinder 3 issue and extended warranty. Bring it to dealer with codes showing and don't change the plug or coil. If you brought it to a Honda dealer originally, they should have recognized this immediately and performed the TSB under warranty. It's a pretty big engine job to do and would be very expensive out of warranty. After you get it repaired, install a VCM muzzling device to prevent it from happening again.
Also, if you haven't done the 105,000 mile timing belt service, it would be a great time to do it because the engine would be opened up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts