Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Researching all over the web and forum - I can run my AC fine with hot and cold air, but the air is only coming out of the defrost vents. All signs point to the AC Blower motor (79140-TK8-A51) for the passenger side. I have checked all the others and they seem to be functioning fine. Before I try to order the part and tear apart the dash, are there any fuses/relays I should check before doing so? Part I am referencing is #13 in the diagram.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,700 Posts
It sounds like it is more likely #12 on the other side of the diagram, but I'm not sure. What trim is the van?

-Charlie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
#12 is fully functioning, if you get down by the pedals and look up you could see it moving when having someone push the buttons above.
Trim on the 2011 Odyssey - EX-L with Entertainment.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,700 Posts
I searched again - it does look like that part is also described as the blend door motor (it definitely isn't the blower motor - that's the fan). #12 is described as the 'mode motor' - probably for fresh/recirc? Then 14/15 are the temp controls for each side. The problem I have seen most often (happened to my van) was the drivers temp motor going out (#14).

Anyway, hopefully you don't have to take too much of the dash apart to get to it!

-Charlie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been dreading making this part swap - everything I have seen from looking under the dash, requires removing most of the dash and airbags to access the part (to be able to unscrew) just to swap out the part. Looks like I know what I am doing this weekend.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,700 Posts
Would a right angle screwdriver be able to get in there? I got lucky with the actuator on my van - it is right there and easy to access...

-Charlie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After a month of delay in changing the part - I replaced the part and the AC still doesn't work. All the front air still is only coming out through the defrost vents.
It was a real pain to get to this part, had to remove the whole AC Blower motor assembly just to be able to barley access the motor #13 labeled above. There is a lot of unfinished metal in this area and a lot of cuts to the hands. Unfortunately you cannot test the system once the part is in, since all the other connectors leading up to the part had to be disconnected and the hosings removed to get to the part.
Once everything was assembled, tried the system and no luck. Before beginning I even checked each and every fuse in the cabin to make sure nothing was blown out to cause this not to work. I really am out of options at this point. Driver side motors work (#12 &14 from diagram above). Don't know if motor #15 is also to blame in this mix, but #13 is brand new.

·
Registered
13,549 Posts
The mode control motor is #12 on the diagram above, not #13. The easiest way to test is to remove it and move the mode control door manually. 14 and 15 are the temp motors.

·
Registered
13,549 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, #13 is the cool box control motor. The recirculation control motor is on the blower motor housing. The only motor responsible for changing modes (defrost, floor, vent, etc.) is #12. When you change modes, you should see that motor moving and doing its thing. If the modes aren't changing yet that motor is moving I'd look close at it and make sure it's not broken or the mode control door isn't broken.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
John - Thanks for the info. #12 motor is working fine and moves when adjusted with the buttons on the console. It might be the door itself that is broken, since I can be under the driver side dash and push the buttons for the AC modes and see the motor moving when I push the buttons.
In all honesty, I wouldn't care if I could just have the air come through the front vents rather than the defrost vents and I'd be a happy camper. Living in So. Cal. with summer heat, defrost vent AC is not keeping me cool, I have to run the AC full blast just to get some circulation in the van with cool air.

·
Registered
13,549 Posts
Also, often that mode control motor will move several different doors at once. Need to make sure it's installed properly and moving all the doors its supposed to.

·
Registered
2011 EX-L
17 Posts
Did you find a solution to your problem? I'm having the same one with my 2011.
I am also having an intermittent problem with the mode motor not changing vents. I just went out and looked at it and if it stops working if I tap the motor it will move to the correct position. I am going to remove it and pull it apart and clean the contacts. I saw a post about that in the 2nd gen forums MODE CONTROL FIX. Ours is around the same spot just up higher and doesn't have the linkages attached like the older models.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This motor moves two doors - switching between the floor, the dash, and the defrost. I removed the motor ( bait of a nuisance), replaced with a new part. Did not fix the problem. Reinstalled the original part with some dielectric grease, insuring the door "pins" were correctly inserted into the guide on the back of the motor, and the system worked. Perhaps just the removal and reinstallation with the grease made a good connection.(??) The van belongs to another person for whom I was trying fix it. Since I'm not driving it, I don't know if it is still working. Hopefully she'll tell me if it doesn't, then I go to plan "B", which is ??

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was able to remove the lower and upper screw (closest to engine) but the last upper screw closest to cabin is very very very difficult. Has anybody been able to remove the one circled in red below without removing everything else?
Font Auto part Bicycle part Logo Drawing

·
Registered
2011 EX-L
17 Posts
I was able to remove the lower and upper screw (closest to engine) but the last upper screw closest to cabin is very very very difficult. Has anybody been able to remove the one circled in red below without removing everything else?
View attachment 164642
I don't remember if I used a regular screwdriver or ratchet with Phillips bit and extension (more than likely) but I was able to get it without removing anything else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't remember if I used a regular screwdriver or ratchet with Phillips bit and extension (more than likely) but I was able to get it without removing anything else.
I successfully changed the Front Mode Control Motor on my wife's 2011 the other day. As stated, a VERY tight fit; had to do some of the work with just my hands, in the blind. I used a 7mm socket with a small ratchet and 3" extension. Only enough room for a couple ratchet clicks in either direction, so patience is a must! Getting the screws out is tricky; getting them back in is even more challenging.

·
Registered
5 Posts
same issue here air only from the defrost vents
John - Thanks for the info. #12 motor is working fine and moves when adjusted with the buttons on the console. It might be the door itself that is broken, since I can be under the driver side dash and push the buttons for the AC modes and see the motor moving when I push the buttons.
In all honesty, I wouldn't care if I could just have the air come through the front vents rather than the defrost vents and I'd be a happy camper. Living in So. Cal. with summer heat, defrost vent AC is not keeping me cool, I have to run the AC full blast just to get some circulation in the van with cool air.
I know it’s been a while… But did you ever address this issue? Mine is performing just like yours only in the defrost mode but I can see parts moving when I change the modes on the dash.? Very reluctant to take out # 12 to find out the same result

1 - 20 of 20 Posts