Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2011 Odyssey getting Godspeed lowering springs

2107 19
Well this will be my first time starting a new post in the OdyClub forum. I am going to begin my project this weekend with putting lowering springs on my black 2011 Odyssey EX-L. I currently have a gray 2011 Odyssey EX that is my wife's daily driver that gets a lot of miles put on it so I'm not doing any suspension modification to that one.
Car Wheel Sky Tire Vehicle

I will try to keep up some pictures and progress of steps and complications to installing
GodSpeed Traction S Lowering Springs Honda Odyssey (2011-2017) LS-TS-HA-0024.
I will also be fitting a set of 2022 Ridgeline Black edition 18-in Wheels to this van as well. I've done a dry run of the wheels but have not mounted tires until I figure out clearance once the springs are installed.
Product Automotive tire Font Screenshot Rim

I'll start with a before picture and add more of them as I progress.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Automotive side-view mirror

I am also planning on blacking out the Chrome and my tint man should be here next week to darken things up a bit. I have heard of using some 3M 2080 for blacking out the chrome. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks and I'll probably not update with any pictures until the end of the weekend.:cool:

Attachments

Reactions: viper74656
1 - 21 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Odyssey EX-L
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. Tonight I got the springs installed but left the stock wheels and tires on it for reference. I got 1" of drop in the front and 0.5" of drop in the rear. Their specs were 1.5" front and 1.2" rear.
Wood Tool Temperature Tape measure Measuring instrument

This is front before...
Tape measure Ruler Wood Office ruler Rectangle

This is front after...
Automotive tire Office ruler Tape measure Measuring instrument Photographic film

This is rear before....
Glasses Tape measure Wood Rectangle Office ruler

This is rear after...
Notice the excellent android photo quality.
Now I did use 3/4" heater hose for spring insulation on the rear since the original spring seat was a bit worn after 250k miles.
Gas Wood Auto part Metal Circle

Automotive tire Tire Tread Synthetic rubber Wood
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Grille Automotive design

I also trimmed the bump stops in the rear.
Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Snow Art
Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Coil spring

Not much of a height difference with the rear springs but I could probably lower it another 1/8 of an inch if I went back with factory spring seats or removed the homemade lower spring insulators.
Wood Font Gas Art Circle

Now there was quite a difference in the height of the front springs when compared unloaded.
But noting the final ride height I was at exactly 29 in the front and 29 in the rear to the wheel well Arch with factory wheels and tire size. And the tire to wheel Arch was exactly 1 in front and rear.

Reactions: Azdude

·
Registered
11 Odyssey EX-L
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only got a snapshot of it at night still in the bay. Most likely the weather is going to be crappy due to the hurricane coming through so I probably will not get an outdoor after picture until later in the weekend.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Now the fitment of the 2022 Ridgeline Wheels has me a little bit concerned. Due to them being 8Jx18 ET 45 and my factory wheels are 7Jx17 ET 55 that means I will have the Ridgeline Wheels sticking out 18mm further than where my factory wheels are now. The Ridgeline wheels on my other 11 Odyssey are from a 2020 and are 8J18 ET 50 so they stick out only about 9mm more. Inner clearance is not an issue.

·
Registered
11 Odyssey EX-L
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll put that theory to the test. I've always heard that, now I'll get the chance to prove it. I'll just need to hold on to the factory wheels for a while before I sell them after I figure out what I'm going to run on the Ridgeline wheels. I'm a little tossed between the 235/55R18 ( .75" lower with the same width as OE ) or 225/55R18 ( 1.2" lower and 0.8" thinner ) to possibly clear the fenders better if the rear gets a little loaded down some time in the future.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
3,271 Posts
Check sliding door clearance too. I have a feeling it will be close if they did push the wheels out on that one. I'd still keep the OEM Elite tire size on there if possible - 235/60-18.

I have MDX 20's (8" wide, 55 offset) on our van with no issues or rubbing with 255/45-20 tires.

-Charlie

Reactions: nathan.n.mechanic

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Don't put a hitch on it...

Even the OEM or Draw-Tite 76025 (hidden) hitch will probably drag as soon as you climb in. :oops:

I installed the 76025 and have popped out the hitch plug more than once on steep driveway transitions. (No lowering springs involved.)

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'll put that theory to the test. I've always heard that, now I'll get the chance to prove it. I'll just need to hold on to the factory wheels for a while before I sell them after I figure out what I'm going to run on the Ridgeline wheels. I'm a little tossed between the 235/55R18 ( .75" lower with the same width as OE ) or 225/55R18 ( 1.2" lower and 0.8" thinner ) to possibly clear the fenders better if the rear gets a little loaded down some time in the future.
They definitely settle . I installed lowering springs and camber arms at the same time on a TL once. My perfect camber setting went all outta whack when I rechecked it a few months later. Noticed the car was about half a finger lower too.

·
Registered
11 Odyssey EX-L
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't put a hitch on it...

Even the OEM or Draw-Tite 76025 (hidden) hitch will probably drag as soon as you climb in. :oops:

I installed the 76025 and have popped out the hitch plug more than once on steep driveway transitions. (No lowering springs involved.)
I had installed a trailer hitch on an 07 Odyssey and yes I am aware of the inability to clear the majority of driveways and sometimes parking stops. It makes a hell of a thump when you hit concrete with a trailer hitch bolted right to the frame.

·
Registered
11 Odyssey EX-L
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well today I did some wheel and Tire fitting to the van. I did some measuring before I took off the OEM and the rear had stayed at exactly 29" but the front had sunk in 1/8" to 28 7/8". It has only been 24 hours but I plan on giving it at least 30 days before making a final conclusion as to how much the springs have settled. Well this is with the Ridgeline Wheels with a 235/55R18 Michelin tire.
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

And this is what it looks like with the original wheels and factory size tire.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light
Wheel Tire Car Automotive side-view mirror Vehicle

I've increased my wheel well clearance from 1" to 1 3/4" by going from 235/65R17 to 235/55R18.
Measuring instrument Ruler Automotive tire Font Tints and shades
Ruler Office ruler Tread Automotive tire Tire

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
3,271 Posts
I'm not sure I understand why you would undersize the tires. You make the van look like it isn't lowered but you still have all the disadvantages of lowering (clearance). There's clearly plenty of space there for a full sized tire...

When you go to the extremes, tire size changes sometimes make sense, but this is a very modest change.

-Charlie

·
Registered
11 Odyssey EX-L
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This project was done just for the purpose of trying to make the van a little different than the other 12 odysseys I see everyday. After driving it I can truthfully say it does not feel any tighter in cornering or swerving. The main thing I noticed is the fact I can see over the roof when I walk up to the vehicle. I have left the factory shocks on it for now. I am working with a budget that's still includes two teenagers and a grocery bill that has really jumped in the last year. Some KYB's will be installed in the future, one of the rear shocks is a little wet around the hydraulic seal. Other than that I checked the rebound of the front and the rear shocks when I had them removed and saw no reason to immediately replace them. Going with a smaller Tire is done for the purpose of, if I am loading up the van and it starts to squat a bit then I have a bit more room to go. These wheels are 18 mm further out than my factory wheels and I have not attempted a full compression of the rear yet but I can see that there may be some contact unless I roll the fenders. Using my straight edge I can tell that there would be rubbage. I tried to get a picture of it but could not find the right angle to show the issue. Since I have found the rear lower spring seats for only $6 each I will probably be removing the rear springs and taking the heater hose off of them and installing the thinner original spring seats and that should lower the back another 1/8". While the springs are out I can mount my tire on the hub and test the full suspension swing and clearance without fighting the spring.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
3,271 Posts
ut I can see that there may be some contact unless I roll the fenders. Using my straight edge I can tell that there would be rubbage.
The rear Honda multi-link has a ton of camber gain with compression - I think you'll be surprised at what you can fit.

-Charlie

Reactions: nathan.n.mechanic

·
Registered
11 Odyssey EX-L
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well Charlie, you were right. With as much as the camber increased under full travel the tire and wheel clears the fender with about a pinky finger of clearance. I took the rear spring out and reattached the lower control arm and then put the wheel on the van and used a stiff arm to compress the suspension all the way up into the vehicle till it hit the bump stop, well what I left of the original.
Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Vehicle
Automotive tire Tire Wheel Vehicle brake Bumper

I did go with the OEM tire size of a 235/60R18 to make the wheel wells look a little more filled out and the lowering work more apparent. These 2022 Ridgeline Wheels habe an ET of 45 instead of the original Odyssey ET of 55. Crunching the numbers that means that the wheel and tire stick out about 18 mm farther than the original 17 inch Odyssey wheel.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
3,271 Posts
With as much as the camber increased under full travel the tire and wheel clears the fender with about a pinky finger of clearance
That's a ton of room in the "wheel fitment" world. You are all good! I've had to fight for credit-card thickness clearance in the past... I mean, don't be putting chains on there, but...

-Charlie

1 - 21 of 20 Posts