Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L (without NAV) which should be delivered later this week. I am thinking of buying an iPod Classic to leave in the glove box.

Has anyone used an iPod Classic with the Odyssey iPod interface? If so, are you able to use the genius playlist feature either through the Odyssey interface or on the iPod itself?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have an older 6th Generation iPod Classic (160 GB). I have used it in my Odyssey and it works okay. Once the iPod is plugged into the USB, you can only control it from the Odyssey's audio interface. I don't remember seeing a genius playlist fuction on the menus, but I could be wrong.

However, note that it has frooze several times where I had to unplug and reset the iPod. I'm still not sure what caused it to freeze???

:huh:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I put a 16gb flash drive in our EX-L. It works great but it takes 3-5 minutes after you start the car the next time until all the songs are available to play. (Patience isn't one of my strong suits)

I can only imagine how long it would take the car to recognize 160gb of music. Or as the Ody calls it "building music library."

·
Registered
687 Posts
The audio system is optimized for iPods/iPhones and they are recognized rather quickly once you plug them in. It's like plugging your iPod into your computer and waiting for iTunes to recognize it.

For flash drives, I believe the audio system needs to read the tags of each songs and index the music. This is already done on an iPod.

;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So there's no option to control any settings from the iPod itself without first unplugging the iPod?

·
Registered
687 Posts
So there's no option to control any settings from the iPod itself without first unplugging the iPod?
Hope. You'll see a symbol on the screen that indicates that the iPod isconnected to the Honda. Then you control everything from the Honda's audio system, mainly using the jog dail.

My Pioneer receiver works the same way. That's what iPod integration is all about.

:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
It seemed like it took a few minutes the first time I plugged in my iPod, and after I updated some tag info. I think it stores info from the last time it read the library, as now it loads much faster. I believe it reads when there has been changes to the database and "resyncs" thre library.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just took a look at the genius option in iTunes. I'm a new iPod owner and haven't had a chance to use it yet. It definitely does not work with the Honda interface. The only thing I could figure out was that you can create a playlist in iTunes based on a song, up to 100 songs, but the Genius mixes don't seem to work. It may be that the Genius option is too new and the Honda system doesn't recognize it. Not sure if that will be something the update, but I doubt it, at least for the 2011.
The only option you have is to start the mix, then plug it in and it will play it.

Although the mixes are pretty good, and I'm glad I checked it out. It really is a bummer that it isn't available.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts