Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have successfully managed to get the ATEQ Quickset to work with a swap of Summer and Winter tires. It hasn’t been without trial and tribulation but there was certainly a lot of happiness going on when I finally got it all done. Details on the process follow.

1. The supplier for Odyssey TPMS components is TRW and they have this special thing called “Shipping” mode. Given that each sensor has a Li-ion battery, the battery does not start operating until a tool is used to send a 125 kHz to the sensor. This is a different tool than the ATEQ Quickset. Not funny. Very irritating.
2. The Odyssey (non-touring) system is based on “uploading” sensor IDs into the ECU of the vehicle. However you first have to know the IDs before you can do this. Word of caution -- Even if TireRack says they will include the IDs with your order, they might not include the IDs with your order. I ended up having to go to a dealer to get this done because the ATEQ Quickset cannot read the sensor IDs. Yet another tool has to be used to read the sensors IDs. Not funny. Very irritating.
3. Finally once you have woken up the sensors and obtained the IDs you can use the ATEQ Quickset to download the existing IDs (e.g., Summer tires) from the ECU and upload the new ones (e.g., Winter tires) to the ECU.

Glad it is over with and hoping that eventually Honda will decide to use the Touring system (auto sense and relearn) on all trim levels of the Odyssey in the near future. This kind of cash grab does not give me a good attitude. If you have questions let me know.

·
Super Moderator
13,838 Posts
I'm sorry, but what the hell are you talking about??
He is talking about TPMS sensor reprogramming when you swap to winter tires.

This is one more reason why people should post in the right categories. This belongs in the wheel forum and for future reference, watchman, please post in right forum categories to prevent a thread lock.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Don't know where this was originally posted but why couldn't this be in the DIY forum? Seems like it would work there too. Just curious.

·
Super Moderator
13,838 Posts
Don't know where this was originally posted but why couldn't this be in the DIY forum? Seems like it would work there too. Just curious.
It was in the 2011 forum. It would work in te DIY forum too but we can barely get folks to step out of the generational forums. If it had been posted in the DIY forum, it wouldn't have been moved.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It could have gone either way

What's the point of the generational forum if everything is broken down into individual categories. I originally started posting this to the tires forum but thought that it was not only a general comment about the 2011 Odyssey but also pertinent to the wheels.....DVIII what the hell are you so emotional about it for? TPMSing? Jeepers.

·
Registered
632 Posts
new members need to know DVPatel more...he's keeping the forum from getting chaos and everything in line.

·
Super Moderator
13,838 Posts
What's the point of the generational forum if everything is broken down into individual categories.
Not everything is broken down. We mostly enforce the broader category for Audio/video, Wheels/Tires and Detailing. If you post in wrong forums, your thread(s) could be locked is all I am saying.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TPMS auto-sensing

Hi:

I know that the Touring edition doesn't need a special tool to upload the new IDs to the ECU but the dealer may still have to wake the sensors up initially.

cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi:

I know that the Touring edition doesn't need a special tool to upload the new IDs to the ECU but the dealer may still have to wake the sensors up initially.

cheers
Can I clarify what you're saying -- that the 2011 Touring models will recognize the TPMS from the all-seasons when I go to put them back on in the spring? In other words, once the sensors are "woken up," the TPMS system on the car will accept their signals?

I can't even get a clarification on this from Honda service departments -- and I've called several.

For now, I've cancelled my order with TireRack for wheels and snow tires. I'm not going to jump through hoops to get the system re-initialized twice a year, and I'm not going to bypass/ignore factory-installed safety systems.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
3. Finally once you have woken up the sensors and obtained the IDs you can use the ATEQ Quickset to download the existing IDs (e.g., Summer tires) from the ECU and upload the new ones (e.g., Winter tires) to the ECU.
Watchman,

Thanks for this post. Very few people took the time to say it works well on a 2011 Odyssey. Quick question: once I have the TPMS ID of my wheels, does the ECU (or the ATEQ device) care about which TPMS ID is at which position?

Thanks!

-Patrick

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Touring edition clarification

Can I clarify what you're saying -- that the 2011 Touring models will recognize the TPMS from the all-seasons when I go to put them back on in the spring? In other words, once the sensors are "woken up," the TPMS system on the car will accept their signals?

I can't even get a clarification on this from Honda service departments -- and I've called several.

For now, I've cancelled my order with TireRack for wheels and snow tires. I'm not going to jump through hoops to get the system re-initialized twice a year, and I'm not going to bypass/ignore factory-installed safety systems.

Thanks!
-----------------
Hey 31 Hz: I suspect that the only thing your dealer has to do on the Touring edition is "wake up" the sensors just once. From thereon-in the ECU should just autosense the sensors everytime you switch the tires out. My dealership did the wakeup on mine for free. It's about a 4 minute exercise and they don't have to put the vehicle on the hoist.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Watchman,

Thanks for this post. Very few people took the time to say it works well on a 2011 Odyssey. Quick question: once I have the TPMS ID of my wheels, does the ECU (or the ATEQ device) care about which TPMS ID is at which position?

Thanks!

-Patrick
Patrick:

The ATEQ software is such that you download the sensor IDs to the ATEQ device (either summer or winter which you preselect). Then you attach the unit to your OBD port and push the appropriate button (summer or winter) and it uploads the IDs to the ECU. It's the act of downloading the IDs to the ATEQ device that puts in the mode of uploading the IDs the next time you push the preselected button on the device.

·
Registered
32 Posts
-----------------
Hey 31 Hz: I suspect that the only thing your dealer has to do on the Touring edition is "wake up" the sensors just once. From thereon-in the ECU should just autosense the sensors everytime you switch the tires out. My dealership did the wakeup on mine for free. It's about a 4 minute exercise and they don't have to put the vehicle on the hoist.
I have recently been dealing with TPMS issues on my Touring and have become somewhat educated on the matter.

The Tourings have "initiators" in each wheel well. This is needed so tha tthe system can differentiate each sensor (ie. it knows which wheel is which). The initiators should turn the TPMS sensors on and everything should automatically sync according to the service manual. There should be no need to "wake things up" as is described for non-tourings.

On non-touring models, there are no initiators so you need to follow the procedures described in this thread.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Also, this, of course, means that the TPMS sensors themselves are different between Touring and non-Touring models. Unfortunately, tirerack put in the wrong sensors. :|

For non-Touring: Part# 42753-SJH-A82
For Touring: Part#42753-SHJ-A53

So double check any orders you do...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all

I can also confirm that the ATEQ tool worked on my 2007 EX-L. I was able to swap tires and rims (and sensors) with no problem. I used the ATEQ tool to "push" the winter Ids into the car's ECU. It was a little tricky (I had to have the car on "ON" but the engine off for about 5 minutes before connecting the tool and pushing the code. I also had the drive the car below 50km/hour for 5 minutes (don't know if this works, but highway drive did not shut off the tpms idiot light - only a slow drive did). Lastly, Bruno at ATEQ was of wonderful help. I will post a more complete procedure in the 2007 forum...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wish I had seen this post before. I just got new set of winter tires, wheels and TPMS sensors from Tirerack.
I have had TPMS sensors in my 2008 Acura MDX and I did not have to do anything special to get them activated.
I get my car serviced at an Acura dealership they also have a honda dealership.
I talked to Service department when I was getting snow tires installed in my Acura. They told me that 2012 Honda EXL TPMS will not require any special procedure.
When they installed the tires I saw a TPMS light on.
When I asked them what was wrong they told me that one of my sensors must be faulty. Seems to me that they did not know about Honda TPMS initiation issue.
What are my options here?
Should I take the car Honda service department and they will activate the sensors?
Is this a one time thing or do I have to do this every year?

It is too bad that 2008 Acura technology has not filtered down to 2012 hondas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi WatchMan,

Got couple of questions after reading your post.

Just purchase a set of 4 winter tires/rims from Dealer for 2011 (non-touring) and have it installed.

I am thinking of buying the QuickSet to save the reset services twice a year.
Having read the user manual from ATEQ website, it requires the sensor IDs which I don't have. From the manual, it said it can read the ECU to retrieve the sensor ID. If so, I can use the tool to read the ID for my current Winter set.

Questions:
1) Is that true that I can use the QuickSet to retrieve the current Sensor ID for 2011 Odyssey?
2) Also, the QuickSet can only store max of 4 vehicles. Are they all have to be the same Car Model? 'cause my family just got a new Accord... Can I use the same QuickSet for the 2011 Accord?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
131 Posts
Questions:
1) Is that true that I can use the QuickSet to retrieve the current Sensor ID for 2011 Odyssey?
2) Also, the QuickSet can only store max of 4 vehicles. Are they all have to be the same Car Model? 'cause my family just got a new Accord... Can I use the same QuickSet for the 2011 Accord?
1) Yes you can retrieve the current TPMS sensor ID from the ECU.
2) You can have 4 different make/model or just keep 3 programmed on the Quickset and use the 4th one as a "junk" car, where you can just load any car you like as long as you keep the sensor IDs organized yourself. Many people use #4 to help friends/family change out their Winter/Summer tires.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts