Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
June 2018 on a 1,000 mile road trip with the family. Check engine light comes on. Engine vibration. 87,600 miles. I was able to get it to the dealer. Typical VCM issue based on what I have read here. Replaced piston rings and spark plugs (among a couple of other things). After this repair, I installed a VCM muzzle. ECO mode is limited to traffic conditions.

Fast forward to tonight, 11/28/2019. 103,625 miles. Baseball with the kids, get in the car to drive 5 miles home. At about mile 1 or 2, the car starts to vibrate. Flashing Check Engine Light comes on (not good, I know). Dejavu. Feels like the same thing at 87,000 miles. Get the car home and check the code. P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire. Crap.

So now what? Is it possibly the same issue again? What would cause this after the repair and with the muzzle on? Did the dealer screw me and not do the work since the saw the plates on my car? (I don't trust dealers after a few issues with them.) I would appreciate any suggestions or feedback on what to do to troubleshoot this issue.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I had a throttle position sensor go out around those miles. Vibrated and would barely run.... I limped to a dealer a few miles away.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be simply a faulty ignition coil.
Thanks for the reply. I replaced the ignition coil ~20 hours after the initial issue and it seems to be running well. I think that I should pull the plug (or plugs) and check for fouling. Any idea if I can pull a plug and then replace it if it is still good? I am concerned about crush washers and proper torquing.

What plates you have on the car?
I have Florida plates and had the work done in Riverhead NY at Apple Honda.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a throttle position sensor go out around those miles. Vibrated and would barely run.... I limped to a dealer a few miles away.
Throttle position sensor. I will have to look that up. Thank you for the information. Would you happen at have any additional details to share?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Throttle position sensor. I will have to look that up. Thank you for the information. Would you happen at have any additional details to share?
I'm back home looking at my receipt and I was wrong..... It was the oil pressure switch (37240-R70-A04)! Wow, it sure thru the van into a tizzy when it happened!!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could be simply a faulty ignition coil.
Is an ignition coil the same as a coil pack? I'm not having much success with my Google skills today.

How does this spark plug look? Pulled position 3 (closest spark plug to the driver) because of P0303 error code.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,393 Posts
Is an ignition coil the same as a coil pack? I'm not having much success with my Google skills today.

How does this spark plug look? Pulled position 3 (closest spark plug to the driver) because of P0303 error code.
That looks about as perfect as you could hope to see in an internal combustion engine, and cylinder 3 is the tell-tale cylinder because it only fires in 6-cylinder mode. If VCM has your engine running on either 3 or 4 cylinders, number three is shut down and any fouling is likely to be the worst there. Based on the condition of that spark plug, you are not having a repeat of the VCM-related misfiring issue.

As for what you are looking to replace, it's properly called a plug hole coil, and it's item number 2 in this parts diagram (part number 30520-R70-S01).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That looks about as perfect as you could hope to see in an internal combustion engine, and cylinder 3 is the tell-tale cylinder because it only fires in 6-cylinder mode. If VCM has your engine running on either 3 or 4 cylinders, number three is shut down and any fouling is likely to be the worst there. Based on the condition of that spark plug, you are not having a repeat of the VCM-related misfiring issue.

As for what you are looking to replace, it's properly called a plug hole coil, and it's item number 2 in this parts diagram (part number 30520-R70-S01).

Great! Thank you for the detailed response. I replaced the "plug hole coil" and I will continue to drive the car to ensure that issue has been resolved.

For reference (for myself and others), here are the cylinder numbers.
https://www.odyclub.com/threads/2010-firing-order-and-cylinder-locations.152881/post-709880

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Not your problem and TPS is built into the throttle body.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts

View attachment 152898
Plug condition looks good but to me the gap is big. Veryyy carefully check the gap.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I replaced the ignition coil ~20 hours after the initial issue and it seems to be running well. I think that I should pull the plug (or plugs) and check for fouling. Any idea if I can pull a plug and then replace it if it is still good? I am concerned about crush washers and proper torquing.

I have Florida plates and had the work done in Riverhead NY at Apple Honda.
Great! If the misfire stopped after replacing the ignition coil, you're set.
You can reuse the spark plugs, you don't need new washers, just tighten it to specs. (13-16 lbf.ft of torque)
FL plates have nothing to do with the dealership, that's how dealerships are. You need to find a good independent shop near you for future repairs or DIY.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not your problem and TPS is built into the throttle body.
Plug condition looks good but to me the gap is big. Veryyy carefully check the gap.
I will have to get a gap gauge.

Great! If the misfire stopped after replacing the ignition coil, you're set.
You can reuse the spark plugs, you don't need new washers, just tighten it to specs. (13-16 lbf.ft of torque)
Excellent! Thanks!

FL plates have nothing to do with the dealership, that's how dealerships are. You need to find a good independent shop near you for future repairs or DIY.
Yes, that is the way it should be! But from my experiences it is not. The place in NY did the repairs for the fouled plugs and a couple of other things. When I got back to FL I noticed that they did not install something correctly. I call my local dealer and they told me that the repair would be out of my pocket if the place in NY did not pay to fix the issue. From what they told me, the place in NY finally paid (after about 1 week of the run around).

Ignition coil, coil pack, or honda parts language "plug hole coil" haha all the same thing.
Thanks for taking the time to reply to all of my questions!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Okay, I've never seen any plugs out of a Honda, but should the electrode be pointed like that? There also seems to be a build-up on the ground. And that gap does look tremendous, like maybe .060.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,393 Posts
Okay, I've never seen any plugs out of a Honda, but should the electrode be pointed like that? There also seems to be a build-up on the ground. And that gap does look tremendous, like maybe .060.
Having taken a second look, I agree that the gap seems too big. But the almost complete lack of oil or carbon buildup suggests that the piston rings are just fine, and that's very good news.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,585 Posts
The gap may be too large, but that is otherwise how the plugs are supposed to look on this engine. A lot of the modern spark plugs look like that, The 'sharp' point helps control the spark location much better than the older style, but requires much better (read: expensive) materials for the electrodes so they don't wear quickly. NGK/OEM only for these spark plugs!

-Charlie

1 - 18 of 18 Posts