Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've searched around the forum but I only found scattered threads and replies related to fuel economy/consumption for the 4th generation Odyssey so, if the mods agree, post your numbers here just to have an idea on how we owners are fairing. I also see Canadian members, so l/100 km numbers will do too :D

No need for a scientific analysis on each reply (i.e. just use your trip meter numbers on gas fill-up), but add some context data as well:

- US mpg or l/100 km number
- Odometer miles/kilometers
- City/highway/mixed
- Driving style (spirited, hyper-miling?)
- A/C usage (heavy, light, none?)
- 5AT or 6AT Model...

Some conversion basics as extracted from Wikipedia:
To convert either way between L/100 km and miles per U.S. gallon, divide 235 by the number in question; for miles per imperial gallon, divide 282 by either number. For example, to convert from 30 mpg (U.S.) to L/100 km, divide 235 by 30, giving 7.83 L/100 km; or from 10 L/100 km to mpg (U.S.), divide 235 by 10, giving 23.5 mpg. To convert between L/100 km and km/L, divide 100 by the number in question.

Edit: Added the transmission (5AT or 6AT)

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
- 17.5MPG
- Odometer: around 1000 miles
- 85% City/ 15% Highway
- Driving style: Normal
- A/C usage (yes, but on heating mode A/C used to avoid window fogging)
- Hilly back roads

I've gotten up to 27.1 MPG pure highway at cruise speed, but it was not a long drive

·
Registered
13 Posts
2011 odyssey only 5 weeks old....averaged 20.5 mpg in city driving... love the unit.. joncar

·
Registered
69 Posts
1st tank

17mpg city driving (los angeles) in 2011 ex-l on 1st tank. big tank!

look forward to the 26+mpg on road trips..

·
Registered
29 Posts
- 13.3 l/100 km
- 2800 kilometers
- Mostly City, some highway (20%)
- Driving style mix
- A/C usage (none)
- Lost of stop and go, longest distance is daily kids school 7km one way
- Fill up when tank almost empty ~ 1/5

·
Registered
157 Posts
- 22.9MPG
- Odometer: around 3000 miles
- 50% City/ 50% Highway
- Driving style: Normal/light
- A/C usage: always on
- Much of the driving was a road trip from Denver to Dallas and back.
- 4 1/2 - 5 1/2 passengers at almost all times (three kids, and my wife is pregnant with 4th).

BTW - My other car is a Prius and its instruments really help you learn how to milk mileage. I figured out the best thing you can do (for any car) is try to hit all traffic lights green so you don't lose momentum. That means speed up a bit if you think a distant green light will turn red about the time you get there and it also means slow down (earlier the better, like 1/4 mile up the road) if you think a red light is about to turn green.

Also, it's sort of weird, but sometimes very subtle pressure changes on the gas can mean the difference between 20 MPG and 40 at similar speed. Turn your front instrument readout to the real-time MPG view (the view that looks like a fluctuating progress bar) and you can sort of learn the feel.

·
Registered
316 Posts
BigBoat said:
- 17.5MPG
- Odometer: around 1000 miles
- 85% City/ 15% Highway
- Driving style: Normal
- Hilly back roads

+1, but my odo is around 600 miles.

FWIW, under the same conditions, my '05 Ody gets ~16 MPG.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Down to 17MPG on this fill-up, less highway driving.

Only relevant item: gas warning light came at 15 miles of Estimated Distance Range in the information display. Nothing key precision but better than nothing.

·
Registered
755 Posts
When we bought the vehicle about two months ago, there were no witer gas here yet so I was averaging 22-24mpg the whole time, with 50-50 city/hwy driving. But now with winter gas aroun here, I'm only averaging around 20-21mpg. Oh and the car has around 3500miles on it so far. I love the six speed tranny on the highway!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was curious to see what I'd do on my 50 mile or so drive today loaded up with kids and presents for Christmas. (And when I say loaded up, I mean that there was not a square inch of the back that was vacant, and that was with the third row folded down.) My route was highwayish--relatively rural road that you drive around 65 on, but with some intermittent traffic lights. It is very hilly---both up and down.

Anyway, 20.9 mpg on the trip. Not too bad.

In everyday driving, my wife seems to be in the 16-18 range, depending on how much she idles. She leaves that car running a lot because when our daughter falls asleep in it, she can't be transferred without waking up so they sit in it for an hour or so. (Wasteful but not as bad as a 19 month old that didn't sleep during the day.) Last week there wasn't as much idling and she did 18.4---that would pretty much be all "city."

·
Registered
21 Posts
22mpg
30%city 70% highway
Ac on
For speed up rpm goes to about3500
Only thing I want from this car is freedom of gear change--at the freeway speed sometimes I need gear change for the better mpg(6speed)
I didn't have this problem with my 2005 odyssey.
:(

·
Registered
17 Posts
24.3MPG (computer and manual calculation agree, 474.8 trip miles, filled tank with 19.54 gallons)
850 miles on odometer
Tank was spent like this:
Trip part 1 loaded with 2 kids, 2 adults a few suitcases and boxes:
2 city miles
50 mountain highway miles in snow, about 55MPH, AC on
100 mountain highway miles ~75MPH, AC off
60 highway miles ~65MPH
5 city miles
5 highway miles ~60MPH
end of part 1 computer reads 27MPG! :)

During our stay the car was cold started numerous times and moved a few feet because the house has a one lane driveway and there's no street parking at night. We also drive about 20 city miles. This brought the computer readout to about 25MPG.

Trip part 2, loaded with 2 adults and 2 kids plus many boxes, suitcases and a large piece of furniture. The rear was loaded to the ceiling, with things crammed in every available space, including the front center and passenger floor, and 2nd row floor, plus the second row middle seat.
220 highway miles, about 150 of which in the mountains, 70-75MPH, headwind, never really recovered much on the MPG, pretty much stayed at 25MPG.

Another 14 miles or so of city driving.

While on the long trips I was trying to be gentle with the gas pedal and keep the ECO light on. I tried the cruise control for a bit in the mountains and saw my MPG drop fairly quickly, so I kept it off letting my speed vary a few MPH to take advantage of downhill or keep it in ECO going back up hill.
I'm pretty pleased with the mileage over all. I expect it may go up a little more after some more miles are on the engine.

·
Registered
506 Posts
For those interested in a Comparo from a '11 Sienna LTD AWD.

530 mile trip in cold weather, reasonably heavy load, and slightly taller winter tires than stock. 1/2 of the trip at roughly 56 mph average and 1/2 at 70+mph average.

Ran approx 21 mpg total.

I figure we used about 12-15% more fuel than if we ran our 05 Touring on the same trip.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Snobike Mike said:
I figure we used about 12-15% more fuel than if we ran our 05 Touring on the same trip.
I read somewhere that the 2011 Sienna XLE MPG was very close to the 2011 6 Speed Odyssey Touring in real life. If their curb weight is very similar, would it then be the AWD that brings the numbers down?

·
Registered
506 Posts
BigBoat said:
I read somewhere that the 2011 Sienna XLE MPG was very close to the 2011 6 Speed Odyssey Touring in real life. If their curb weight is very similar, would it then be the AWD that brings the numbers down?
Yes, AWD uses more fuel for sure.

·
Banned
728 Posts
BigBoat said:
AWD mileage is rates a couple lower than the FWD version in the Sienna.

·
Registered
157 Posts
boulder_bum said:
- 22.9MPG
- Odometer: around 3000 miles
- 50% City/ 50% Highway
- Driving style: Normal/light
- A/C usage: always on
- Much of the driving was a road trip from Denver to Dallas and back.
- 4 1/2 - 5 1/2 passengers at almost all times (three kids, and my wife is pregnant with 4th).
As a revision to my original numbers, we're actually managing to get around 24.7 MPG with local driving if I remember correctly, which has me excited because it's still the winter when MPG is lowest!

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
- 18.5MPG
- 85% City/ 15% Highway
- Driving style: Wife driving
- Hilly back roads

Wife is starting to drive the car, I think that factor contributed to the 1-1.5MPG bump

·
Registered
9 Posts
2011 Touring Elite - 500 miles drive from Atlanta to Tampa, FL. 20.9 MPG each way. 5 adults, 2 kids, lots of stuff driving at 80 - 85 MPH, few stops. City has been about 19.1, one adult.

1 - 20 of 214 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.