Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that included actual repair rates. So in late 2005 I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now updates actual repair frequencies, not just dots, four times a year, to report on new models sooner and track cars closely as they age.

We've had excellent participation by Odyssey owners, with over 1,100 signed up. I'd like to have reliability information on the fourth-generation Odyssey as soon as possible--just a matter of how soon enough owners join and participate.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the Odyssey, for free. I'll share results for the Odyssey in this thread after each update.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Car reliability research

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Six owners of the 2011 signed up so far. A decent start, but more remain needed to start providing stats on the new Odyssey.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And now 14. Thanks, guys. If we can get to 40 over the next few weeks we'll likely have a full result with the May update.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks like we probably won't have an initial result next month, but will have one in August.

More participants remain needed to provide full results for the new 2011 Odyssey.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never mind that last post--we will have an initial result next month. Thanks, guys.

More participants remain needed to provide full results, hopefully in August.

Car reliability research

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
About the same amount of data per van that Consumer Reports will have from October 2011 (when they next update their results) through October 2012 (their annual survey went out a few weeks ago). Just few months, on average, but JD Power has built their entire quality stats business on the first 90 days of ownership.

Want more data? Wait another quarter or two. With updates every quarter, our stats will track the vans very closely as they age.

·
Banned
728 Posts
About the same amount of data per van that Consumer Reports will have from October 2011 (when they next update their results) through October 2012 (their annual survey went out a few weeks ago). Just few months, on average, but JD Power has built their entire quality stats business on the first 90 days of ownership.

Want more data? Wait another quarter or two. With updates every quarter, our stats will track the vans very closely as they age.
I usually just read the CR report on reliability. What does yours add?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I usually just read the CR report on reliability. What does yours add?
Information that is, on average, ten months newer.

Actual repair frequencies rather than just dots. CR's dots often make differences between car models seem much larger than they actually are. They refuse to disclose the numbers behind the dots, so few people realize this.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Information that is, on average, ten months newer.

Actual repair frequencies rather than just dots. CR's dots often make differences between car models seem much larger than they actually are. They refuse to disclose the numbers behind the dots, so few people realize this.
I agree but they have thousands of owners participating. In my experience, people on these forums often have a specific bone to pick with Honda; sometimes unjustifiably so. I'm not sure a sample of owners here would be a representative sample.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We get participants from many other sources.

Because of how the survey is designed, the source of the sample hasn't been an issue. If you check out the stats for earlier model years, they speak for themselves.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Okay, I'm in.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We have an initil reliability stat for the 2011 Honda Odyssey to include owner experiences through March 31, 2011.

With 54 repair trips per 100 vehicles per year, it's about average.

We'll have updates in August and November, to closely track any changes.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Honda Odyssey reliability ratings and comparisons

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm In!

1st Honda, but my 6th on True Delta. I'm in!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, guys, I appreciate it.

We'll have updated stats later this month.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks, guys, I appreciate it.

We'll have updated stats later this month.
TrueDelta is extremely useful in researching models - for those who don't think a red circle with a dot in it tells you anything specific about a car...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We've updated our reliability stats for the 2011 Honda Odyssey to include owner experiences through June 30, 2011.

With 51 repair trips per 100 vehicles per year, it remains about average.

We'll have updates in November and February, to closely track any changes. The more owners participate, the better this information will be.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Honda Odyssey reliability ratings and comparisons

1 - 20 of 67 Posts