Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just joined because I am thinking about buying a 2011 Odyssey touring elite. I think It's a good deal, but I've done a little research and found quite a few people have had major problems with the transmission, timing belt, brake rotor warping, water pump leaks and a few other issues. I figured this is the place where the knowledge is, so if anyone has any advice warnings, tips,or just general information they could share it would be greatly appreciated. The vehicle has 115,000 thousand miles but other than that I haven't had the opportunity to ask about possible current problems or if any significant work has been done.
Thanks,
bix49

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hello,
I just joined because I am thinking about buying a 2011 Odyssey touring elite. I think It's a good deal, but I've done a little research and found quite a few people have had major problems with the transmission, timing belt, brake rotor warping, water pump leaks and a few other issues. I figured this is the place where the knowledge is, so if anyone has any advice warnings, tips,or just general information they could share it would be greatly appreciated. The vehicle has 115,000 thousand miles but other than that I haven't had the opportunity to ask about possible current problems or if any significant work has been done.
Thanks,
bix49
clean carfax?
how does it run/drive?
any oil leaks?
do you have the service history since new, or is it a mystery car?
have the plugs removed/inspected, and look for oil fouling.

The 6 speed on the touring has been one of the better transmissions, timing belt is a wear and tear serviceable item, use only quality parts like aisin or honda kits to avoid disaster.
front brake rotors do go early and pulsate/ vibrate, as in my experience. changed out the oem replacements with high carbon steel ones after 3 years ownership. so far so good.
have not heard anything on water pump leaks, for those who follow the maintenance schedule.

did you read all the TSB's for the gen 4's? more stuff to look out for when going over a particular vehicle.

If you do get it, disable that variable cylinder management (VCM), its probably the most mentioned topic around here, and safe to say over 1000 times.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
548 Posts
Timing belt/water pump/tensioner: All regular maintenance items. Sometimes the timing belt tensioner goes a bit early, but doesn't cause immediate engine damage and can easily be fixed. Haven't heard of any other problems with those parts
Brakes: Use good quality aftermarket parts (covered here) and the problem is easily fixable.
Transmission: Must be regularly serviced (more often than the 30k factory service interval) to maintain reliability. There are a few software updates for the early vans that can also help.
Oil burning/spark plug fouling/VCM issues: easily solvable by disabling the VCM system. Lots of threads on here.

Make sure the van was taken care of. It can either be a total dud or a gem at this point, all depending on how it was cared for.

-Charlie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts