Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Thanks! this will come in handy! What year is your Honda? I wonder if that will work with 2011. I have no clue how it ripped. I do have a lot of squirrel and chipmunks and funny story, we took our Subaru to a Jiffy Lube and the guy showed my wife a video of a squirrel jumping out of the hood as they opened it up so who knows. Although I will say the tear was right along the inside ridges of the tube so no signs of chewing so who knows.
Makes sense... you need to deal with that issue.
Honda wire insulation is made from soy and they like to eat them.

get a spray bottle from the dollar store and mix some cayenne and water, or some ammonia and water (dilluted enough that it wont smell for humans) and spray the engine bay area.

If youre not too far out of the city, coyote urine gets rid of the rodents, but may attract coyotes which is why its best to use in the city.

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
Ok maybe this has something to do with lol! So I'm looking at how to take of the large flexible hose that goes from the airfilter to the throttle body and low and behold their is a huge tear in it. Do you guys think that might do it? Maybe getting too much air? At any rate I will just put some gorilla tape on it for now and see if it happens, in the meantime I'm ordering a new hose and a gasket for the throttle body in the event that I will need to properly cleaning it.
That would absolutely do it. Tape it for now but I'd just order a new hose and forget the throttle body cleaning and gasket. You will need a scan tool to reset the idle and if you don't have it you'll just cause another headache. Just replace that intake tube and you will likely be fixed. You can then plan on cleaning the throttle body at a later time when you can do your proper research and make sure you have a scan tool that can reset the idle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
That would absolutely do it. Tape it for now but I'd just order a new hose and forget the throttle body cleaning and gasket. You will need a scan tool to reset the idle and if you don't have it you'll just cause another headache. Just replace that intake tube and you will likely be fixed. You can then plan on cleaning the throttle body at a later time when you can do your proper research and make sure you have a scan tool that can reset the idle.
Yes Fortunately I have a scan tool and can do the reset if I clean the throttle body. I will plug it up first and make sure I can get to the appropriate sections in the software before I try it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check ignition switch.
Bad one will kill engine at low speed/rpm.
Engine will restart fine after you rotate the key.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Was watching some more vids and actually getting my new duct today. Should I clean the MAF and MAP while I'm at it? I don't want to give myself more headaches by doing too much lol.

·
Registered
14,040 Posts
If you have been using top tier fuel I would just install the duct and go on my merry way.
That doesn't mean you shouldn't have a look around to see if there was any rodent damage.
The question remains: how did the duct get damaged?

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
647 Posts
Just install the duct. You'll be able to checkout the throttle plate (at least the outside) to see if you think it is worth cleaning. A bit of grime is fine, a sticky oily mess, not so much.

-Charlie

·
Registered
365 Posts
The torn snorkel could be your problem because (if I'm getting your meaning) the tear is between the MAF sensor and the throttle body, resulting in 'short-circuiting' the air flow through the MAF. However, a hole in the tube at that point should have produced a loud 'moan' at higher throttle, like a carburetor with no air filter. This could also have contributed to dirt in the TB because its unfiltered air.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts