Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Hope all is well. I have a concern, i have a 2011 honda odyssey with 100000mi on it and just did a transmission fluid change, when i totally drained the fluid and put new fluid in it was 3.3 quarts then drove it around and days past i used it i just recently check the dip stick and saw it was in min, so filled it with tranny fluid so total that i poured is approximately 4 quarts, is that normal? Just kinda worried. Please help

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Hello everyone! Hope all is well. I have a concern, i have a 2011 honda odyssey with 100000mi on it and just did a transmission fluid change, when i totally drained the fluid and put new fluid in it was 3.3 quarts then drove it around and days past i used it i just recently check the dip stick and saw it was in min, so filled it with tranny fluid so total that i poured is approximately 4 quarts, is that normal? Just kinda worried. Please help
yes...
the question comes up often here.
the longer the amount of time you leave it to drain, the more AT fluid that needs to be replenished/replaced.
that variable is not fully understood.
the ideal method is measure amount of fluid drained, then replenish the fluid based on that value.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes...
the question comes up often here.
the longer the amount of time you leave it to drain, the more AT fluid that needs to be replenished/replaced.
that variable is not fully understood.
the ideal method is measure amount of fluid drained, then replenish the fluid based on that value.
Thank you!! You guys are awesome, kinda got worried because i dont see anything leaking under the hood nor on the floor thats why i got worried. Wheew!!

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,700 Posts
As long as you have no visible leaks and the level is correct when the transmission is warm (that is also a variable here!), you are fine. It could have been slightly underfilled at the last service.

-Charlie

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As long as you have no visible leaks and the level is correct when the transmission is warm (that is also a variable here!), you are fine. It could have been slightly underfilled at the last service.

-Charlie

-Charlie
thank you, well guess what, after filling it up and i drove around yesterday, i checked again the transmission fluid and its over the maximum level, what do you think i should do? drain some of it by using a siphon through the small metal hose where you test the level or old fashion way??

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,700 Posts
i checked again the transmission fluid and its over the maximum level
Depends on the amount. As long as you aren't getting any shifting issues, it will (probably) be ok.

Also, the trans dipstick isn't the easiest to read. I have found that you can read the level more easily if you use a paper towel to help discern the level, like this:

That was with a fairly cool transmission, shows the level right above the min mark. the two marks to the right are cleaning wipes before inserting to read the level.

Without that trick, the wispy marks above the full level can fool you into thinking the trans is overfilled. Works on the engine dipstick too...

-Charlie

·
Registered
48 Posts
thank you, well guess what, after filling it up and i drove around yesterday, i checked again the transmission fluid and its over the maximum level, what do you think i should do? drain some of it by using a siphon through the small metal hose where you test the level or old fashion way??
there is transmission drain and fill thread - that has useful info about checking level and removing excess (you can siphon out from dip stick). But checking transmission fluid level is pain. As per the service manual - you need to bring vehicle to normal operating temperature (specifically they say it - when cooling fan come on only once - not more than once, otherwise it will be higher) and then check level within 90 seconds of turning off the engine. I don't know about transmission but they want to avoid oil from torque converter to collect back in pan, before you measure it (that's what some folks in transmission drain and fill thread are saying). Also note, you need to read dip stick where there is "HOT" marking - oil level is different on both sides of dip stick (use the lower of both value).

here is from service manual:

ATF LEVEL CHECK
1. Park the vehicle on the level ground.
2. Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature (the radiator fan comes on), and turn the engine off.
3. Remove the dipstick (yellow loop) (A) from the dipstick guide tube, and wipe it with a clean cloth.

NOTE:
 Keep all foreign particles out of the transmission.
 Check the ATF level within 60-90 seconds after turning the engine off.
 Higher ATF level may be indicated if the radiator fan comes on twice or more.

4. Insert the dipstick back into the dipstick guide tube.
5. Remove the dipstick, and check the ATF level. It should be between the upper mark (A) and the lower mark (B).
6. If the ATF level is below the lower mark, check for fluid leaks at the transmission, and the ATF cooler hoses and the line joints. If a problem is found, fix it before filling the transmission with ATF.
7. If the level is above the upper mark, drain the ATF to the proper level (see step 4 ).
8. If necessary, fill the transmission with the ATF through the filler hole (A) to bring the fluid level between the upper mark and the lower mark of the dipstick. Do not fill the fluid above the upper mark. Always use Honda ATF DW-1 Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF). Using a non-Honda ATF can affect shift quality.
NOTE: If the vehicle is driven when the ATF level is below the lower mark, one or more of these symptoms may occur:  Transmission damage.
 Vehicle does not move in any gear.
 Vehicle accelerates poorly, and flares when starting off in D, L, and R.
 The engine vibrates at idle.

9. Install the ATF filler bolt (B) with a new sealing washer (C).
10. Insert the dipstick back into the dipstick guide tube.

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 120k miles
2,121 Posts
As the post above shows, reading ATF level is not exactly easy. In fact it is easy to do inaccurately.

For anyone coming here with fill-level questions, I'd consider an accurate reading as the first thing to confirm.

Some highlights / comments on the less obvious parts of the procedure (which should be in the owner's manual, which BTW and LOL is generally not provided in these cars) ...

2. Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature (the radiator fan comes on), and turn the engine off.
The engine + AT just need to be warmed up so the fluid is warm and expanded, and distributed throughout the AT. So checking after a normal drive would be sufficient. The instructions are often written for the service techs, so assume the car is cold and not going anywhere, so that's why they tell you to warm it up. Just check after returning home (or in a level parking lot) after a drive.

Big one here. I believe the concept is that ATF will drain internally down to the bottom where the dipstick measures level, raising the level as time progresses. So checking it 10 seconds after shutdown is not practical, and 10 minutes might allow more ATF to drain and pool at the bottom raising the level. So they spec 60-90 seconds. If you check after things are warm (so the ATF has thermally expanded) but had a very long time to drain, you might get a higher reading than accurate per the spec. Similar if you went and checked it cold in the morning - fluid will not be expanded, but it will have all drained down and a high reading would be expected.

Also ... engine is off when checking ... which is different vs. most ATs I'm familiar with.

Other than that, looking for the fluid line on the dipstick may not be obvious, just like when checking oil. Bright sunlight, good vision, and knowing how to look for the line between dry and liquid are helpful. As a good ballpark estimate, draining should produce about 3.5 qts out, so putting about that back in is pretty safe. BTW both 5-speed and 6-speed ATs were used on these cars from 2011-2013, based on trim level, having different drain and fill specs, so keep that in mind on exact numbers you might get.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
there is transmission drain and fill thread - that has useful info about checking level and removing excess (you can siphon out from dip stick). But checking transmission fluid level is pain. As per the service manual - you need to bring vehicle to normal operating temperature (specifically they say it - when cooling fan come on only once - not more than once, otherwise it will be higher) and then check level within 90 seconds of turning off the engine. I don't know about transmission but they want to avoid oil from torque converter to collect back in pan, before you measure it (that's what some folks in transmission drain and fill thread are saying). Also note, you need to read dip stick where there is "HOT" marking - oil level is different on both sides of dip stick (use the lower of both value).

here is from service manual:

ATF LEVEL CHECK
1. Park the vehicle on the level ground.
3. Remove the dipstick (yellow loop) (A) from the dipstick guide tube, and wipe it with a clean cloth.

NOTE:
 Keep all foreign particles out of the transmission.
 Higher ATF level may be indicated if the radiator fan comes on twice or more.

4. Insert the dipstick back into the dipstick guide tube.
5. Remove the dipstick, and check the ATF level. It should be between the upper mark (A) and the lower mark (B).
6. If the ATF level is below the lower mark, check for fluid leaks at the transmission, and the ATF cooler hoses and the line joints. If a problem is found, fix it before filling the transmission with ATF.
7. If the level is above the upper mark, drain the ATF to the proper level (see step 4 ).
8. If necessary, fill the transmission with the ATF through the filler hole (A) to bring the fluid level between the upper mark and the lower mark of the dipstick. Do not fill the fluid above the upper mark. Always use Honda ATF DW-1 Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF). Using a non-Honda ATF can affect shift quality.
NOTE: If the vehicle is driven when the ATF level is below the lower mark, one or more of these symptoms may occur:  Transmission damage.
 Vehicle does not move in any gear.
 Vehicle accelerates poorly, and flares when starting off in D, L, and R.
 The engine vibrates at idle.

9. Install the ATF filler bolt (B) with a new sealing washer (C).
10. Insert the dipstick back into the dipstick guide tube.
thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As the post above shows, reading ATF level is not exactly easy. In fact it is easy to do inaccurately.

For anyone coming here with fill-level questions, I'd consider an accurate reading as the first thing to confirm.

Some highlights / comments on the less obvious parts of the procedure (which should be in the owner's manual, which BTW and LOL is generally not provided in these cars) ...

The engine + AT just need to be warmed up so the fluid is warm and expanded, and distributed throughout the AT. So checking after a normal drive would be sufficient. The instructions are often written for the service techs, so assume the car is cold and not going anywhere, so that's why they tell you to warm it up. Just check after returning home (or in a level parking lot) after a drive.

Big one here. I believe the concept is that ATF will drain internally down to the bottom where the dipstick measures level, raising the level as time progresses. So checking it 10 seconds after shutdown is not practical, and 10 minutes might allow more ATF to drain and pool at the bottom raising the level. So they spec 60-90 seconds. If you check after things are warm (so the ATF has thermally expanded) but had a very long time to drain, you might get a higher reading than accurate per the spec. Similar if you went and checked it cold in the morning - fluid will not be expanded, but it will have all drained down and a high reading would be expected.

Also ... engine is off when checking ... which is different vs. most ATs I'm familiar with.

Other than that, looking for the fluid line on the dipstick may not be obvious, just like when checking oil. Bright sunlight, good vision, and knowing how to look for the line between dry and liquid are helpful. As a good ballpark estimate, draining should produce about 3.5 qts out, so putting about that back in is pretty safe. BTW both 5-speed and 6-speed ATs were used on these cars from 2011-2013, based on trim level, having different drain and fill specs, so keep that in mind on exact numbers you might get.
thank you

·
Registered
48 Posts
View attachment 167254
Here is the reading ahen engine is cold, and i did the engine off then measure it gave me a little more or above the max level
View attachment 167254
Here is the reading ahen engine is cold, and i did the engine off then measure it gave me a little more or above the max level
At least In 2014 odyssey, dipstick shows different oil levels on both side of it (because dipstick enters pan with steep angle). In your first pic you showed level with "HOT" marking but on second pic you are measuring it on the opposite side. May be you checked on the correct side and posted pic from the other side. Just be aware of this issue..I asked this question on transmission drain and fill thread and seems like lots of folks know about it and advice me to use lower oil level from both sides.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,700 Posts
Based on what I'm seeing there - You might just want to do another drain and fill. The trans fluid still looks a bit brown, which hints at a need for new fluid in there anyway. But your trans isn't going to blow up if you drive it some more with those levels.

-Charlie

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At least In 2014 odyssey, dipstick shows different oil levels on both side of it (because dipstick enters pan with steep angle). In your first pic you showed level with "HOT" marking but on second pic you are measuring it on the opposite side. May be you checked on the correct side and posted pic from the other side. Just be aware of this issue..I asked this question on transmission drain and fill thread and seems like lots of folks know about it and advice me to use lower oil level from both sides.
So your recommending to have to trans oil on lower level rather than full?
Based on what I'm seeing there - You might just want to do another drain and fill. The trans fluid still looks a bit brown, which hints at a need for new fluid in there anyway. But your trans isn't going to blow up if you drive it some more with those levels.

-Charlie
i actually changed and replaced the transmission fluid a few days ago

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,700 Posts
i actually changed and replaced the transmission fluid a few days ago
You did about 1/3 of the fluid a few days ago. If it isn't red, it is likely worn enough to warrant another drain and fill. The factory 30k drain and fill interval is often inadequate.

-Charlie

Reactions: viper74656

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You did about 1/3 of the fluid a few days ago. If it isn't red, it is likely worn enough to warrant another drain and fill. The factory 30k drain and fill interval is often inadequate.

-Charlie
I did a whole trans fluid drain and change a few days ago and used it then checked the level and filled it a lil bit, if thats the case, if they roccomend changing the tran fluid 3x could you give me a strp by step on how to fill, drain then drive again and repeat the process, thank you for your comment, im practically new to this and trying to prolong the life of our vehicle

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,700 Posts
if they roccomend changing the tran fluid 3x could you give me a strp by step on how to fill, drain then drive again and repeat the process
You just did it there yourself. The transmission holds about 3x the fluid that comes out when you drain the transmission from the drain plug. The rest is located in the torque converter and other fluid passages in the transmission. Since Honda specifically recommends against any "power flush" technique on their transmissions that could truly change all of the fluid in the transmission, they recommend draining and filling 3x with some driving in between each drain and fill. That gets the majority of the old fluid out without risking any damage to the transmission.

If you are going to DIY such a procedure, the easiest way is simply drain and fill on 3 consecutive weekends.

Since the fluid looks a bit old in your transmission and you are going to mess with the level anyway, now seems like a good time to do a little bit of 'catch-up' maintenance with another drain and fill... If you aren't noticing any poor shifting, etc. you won't need to do any more than that.

-Charlie

Reactions: 0dyfamily

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You just did it there yourself. The transmission holds about 3x the fluid that comes out when you drain the transmission from the drain plug. The rest is located in the torque converter and other fluid passages in the transmission. Since Honda specifically recommends against any "power flush" technique on their transmissions that could truly change all of the fluid in the transmission, they recommend draining and filling 3x with some driving in between each drain and fill. That gets the majority of the old fluid out without risking any damage to the transmission.

If you are going to DIY such a procedure, the easiest way is simply drain and fill on 3 consecutive weekends.

Since the fluid looks a bit old in your transmission and you are going to mess with the level anyway, now seems like a good time to do a little bit of 'catch-up' maintenance with another drain and fill... If you aren't noticing any poor shifting, etc. you won't need to do any more than that.

-Charlie
Gotcha, thank you and surely ill do that. Thank you for you advice, you happen to know where i can buy cheap weatherproof floor mata?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Here's what you have to do to have full confidence in the trans oil level after a D/F. Measure the trans fluid level as per the excellent instructions above to see that it is correct. Now do the drain into a clean, dry pan and re-install the drain plug. Have ready a gallon jug that you have calibrated for 4 qts with the 4th qt divided into four 8 oz segments. Using a funnel, pour the used oil into the jug and note the exact amount of fluid in it. This is the exact amount of new fluid you will put back in. You can now use the jug to dispose of the used oil in the proper way for your locality or save it for the next D/F.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Question to add to this thread. I have a 2011 EXL w the 5 speed, 165K miles. I am doing the 1x drain and fill for the first time. (My first time doing it myself, trans has been serviced regularly.). I had it serviced back in January and now starting the every other oil change regimen. Van was fairly warm when I drained the fluid and I got about 4.7 quarts out of the single drain. The manual says it should be 3.3 quarts. Was it overfilled? Should I just put back 3.3 qts and check it as per above? Or put back what I took out. Van was shifting and running fine before draining. The extra DW1 is throwing me for a loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts