Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering the purchase of a new mini van in the next month or so. I've read allot of "reviews" of the new 2011 Odyssey, but none have really commented on what it is like to drive it.

How does it handle? Is it quieter than the outgoing model? Are the seats more comfortable? etc.

If you have road tested a 2011 Odyssey or have already bought one and have some comments, I'd like to hear.

In Canada, we won't see this van until the end of October.

Thanks,

:)

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
You are kidding right? There was a very long a extensive review posted a couple of hours before your post and is still in the first 6 threads on here.

That said, welcome to the Odyclub.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I saw it just after I posted here. Thanks for the warm welcome (if not a bit critical).

Now that the thread is here and you've read it, do you have any first hand knowledge of the 2011 Odyssey?

·
Registered
463 Posts

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the friendly help Tom. That is what I was looking for.

The poster seemed a bit biased, given that he ordered one, but obviously he was impressed enough to purchase.

I agree that the darker colours will probably look better in that they will hide the sliding door track a bit.

In the end, for me it is about the interior finish and the drive quality. I'd prefer to like the exterior, but I'll spend much more time inside, behind the wheel.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had a chance to see & drive both the 2011 Toyota Sienna & Honda Odyssey. For looks, Sienna looks a lot better than ODY which I think looks horrible. I have a 2007 Touring & I'm happy to keep it & I wouldn't exhange it for the 2011. Sienna definitely looks more elegant & has a lot of room & feature than the ODY. But because of Sienna's size, it's kinda heavy to drive. The ODY is much smaller & has less ground clearance, that's why handling improves & easy to control. If you prefer the looks, I'd go for the Sienna but for driving pleasure...ODY has the edge...no question about it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
rbtamms said:
But because of Sienna's size, it's kinda heavy to drive. The ODY is much smaller & has less ground clearance, that's why handling improves & easy to control. If you prefer the looks, I'd go for the Sienna but for driving pleasure...ODY has the edge...no question about it. [/B]
My wife loves her new Sienna compared to the ride of the 2005 Touring we had. Other than overboosted steering, the new Sienna handles very well and is probably as good or better than the old van was. The new Sienna is also a lot quicker (which it should be with more power and a 6 spd).

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rbtamms said:
I had a chance to see & drive both the 2011 Toyota Sienna & Honda Odyssey. For looks, Sienna looks a lot better than ODY which I think looks horrible. I have a 2007 Touring & I'm happy to keep it & I wouldn't exhange it for the 2011. Sienna definitely looks more elegant & has a lot of room & feature than the ODY. But because of Sienna's size, it's kinda heavy to drive. The ODY is much smaller & has less ground clearance, that's why handling improves & easy to control. If you prefer the looks, I'd go for the Sienna but for driving pleasure...ODY has the edge...no question about it.
Can you comment on interior noise at highway speeds? I have a 2008 Sienna that seems fine in the city, but it is amazing how noisy it really is at highways speeds. Until you stop, you don't notice just how high the volume was turned up on the radio to be able to hear it on the highway. I think this is due to wind and road noise combination. Typically Honda's have more road noise than Toyotas.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
rbtamms said:
I had a chance to see & drive both the 2011 Toyota Sienna & Honda Odyssey. For looks, Sienna looks a lot better than ODY which I think looks horrible. ***snip***
The Sienna isn't exactly all eye candy either. The side panels still look like they were cut from a 4-by-8 sheet of plywood. Nevertheless, I think it looks better than the 2011 Ody, at least in the pictures. Haven't seen a real one yet.

·
Registered
506 Posts
davedrivesody said:
The Sienna isn't exactly all eye candy either. The side panels still look like they were cut from a 4-by-8 sheet of plywood. Nevertheless, I think it looks better than the 2011 Ody, at least in the pictures. Haven't seen a real one yet.
We love the look of our new Sienna. You clearly need to see one in person.

It definately is a "swagger waggon" and not only looks better than our 05 touring but is simply the hands down winner against the new Oddity.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Snobike Mike said:
We love the look of our new Sienna. You clearly need to see one in person.

It definately is a "swagger waggon" and not only looks better than our 05 touring but is simply the hands down winner against the new Oddity.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
It's the 2011 Ody that I haven't seen yet in the flesh. How do you find the handling of the Sienna? I have read that it's improved in the new generation, especially for the model with the sport suspension.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Most people complain that minivans look boring and Honda decided to add a little style to theirs and people still find fault with it. I havent seen one in person but I do give them credit for making something that looks a little different from the norm. As far as the Sienna it doesnt look all that great either now the SE with the 19" wheels and clear tail lights now that looks good. A recent article in Consumer Reports rated the current Sienna on par with the Kia Sedona saying it was a downgrade in quality. I believe both Toyota and Honda both have slipped in the quality department. Hyundai is catching up quick to both of them and give it a little more time and they will be past them in quality and sales.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I drove a 2011 yesterday at Vatland Honda (Rick Fuss) in Vero Beach, Fl. It drives very well. I can't say it felt any better then my 08 but it is right there next to it. Full of great little extras (built in cooler, buttons on door piller to close doors, wrap around seats etc.) but the big thing that I saw was it looks better in person then the pictures show it. The lightning bolt thing looks fine on the car in person. Rick said it is the angle that people take the picture from. You will have to see it in person. Lou

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
davedrivesody said:
It's the 2011 Ody that I haven't seen yet in the flesh. How do you find the handling of the Sienna? I have read that it's improved in the new generation, especially for the model with the sport suspension.
I drove a sport edition Sienna as well and though it handled much better than our 2008 model. In addition, it was quieter on the highway. My only gripe with the Sienna is the heating system. In Canada, during the coldest winter months, I find that the engine takes a long time to reach operating temperature, which means a slow cabin warm up. In addition, when you split air between the floor and the windshield, there is very little warm air delivered to the driver's footwell. This was not improved in the 2011 model (carry over engine and heating system).

Because of the heating deficiency in the Toyota, I'm considering a Odyssey, but not at the expense of uncomfortable seats and intrusive road noise at highway speeds. If those problems exist, it will be another Sienna in 2011.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Shazzam said:
I drove a sport edition Sienna as well and though it handled much better than our 2008 model.

I dont think people buy these vans to autocross they buy them to move kids and stuff.

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
Bone said:
I dont think people buy these vans to autocross they buy them to move kids and stuff.
That wouldn't be a good discussion point. We used to say the same to KK when he said people buy vans to move kids around.

Handling is a very import aspect of a car purchase regardless of if you go autocrossing or just haul kids around.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bone said:
I think there is a big difference between "autocrossing" and "improved handling and ride". Much is made of the difference between the handling of the older generation Sienna and the outgoing Odyssey.

One of Honda's selling points is that it is a more nimble and flat handling van than the Sienna - "more car like than van like".

The car magazines that review these vehicles also talk about the differences in handling, ride and comfort.

Honda has traditionally been known for better handling and more road noise (all of their vehicles have more road noise when compared to a Toyota equivalent, but they tend to handle better).

The Sienna has been known for a softer ride with more body roll and a quieter interior. People who wanted a more entertaining drive chose the Honda while those who didn't really care what the vehicle drove like and wanted more quiet and comfort chose the Sienna.

For 2011, the Sienna has improved the handling considerably and made the van quieter. They have attempted to close the gap in the handling department. The sport model is quiet and has good steering feel along with fairly flat handling in a turn.

I was simply asking what people have found with the new 2011 Odyssey (those who have driven one). Is the vehicle quieter? Does it handle even better? The car magazines haven't answered those questions, choosing to talk about the cup holders, etc. - such information being a reprint of Honda's official press release.

Most people in the market for a new mini van will be comparing the two brands. I was just wondering what those people think about the new Honda Odyssey.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Shazzam said:
I think there is a big difference between "autocrossing" and "improved handling and ride".
Im just messing with you because in your last post you said something about drag racing and I was just talking about more power. Well you were talking about handling and I mentioned autocrossing.

·
Registered
650 Posts
dvpatel said:
That wouldn't be a good discussion point. We used to say the same to KK when he said people buy vans to move kids around.

Handling is a very import aspect of a car purchase regardless of if you go autocrossing or just haul kids around.
Im just having fun with shazzam when i mentioned i wished the odyssey had more horsepower he said something along the lines that people buy these vans to move kids and stuff not to drag race.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bone said:
Im just messing with you because in your last post you said something about drag racing and I was just talking about more power. Well you were talking about handling and I mentioned autocrossing.
:) :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts