Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So we have had out Touring for a few weeks now and there are a few things i've noticed that i want to "poll" the other members here and see if they notice the same things.

1. The sliding door aligment is off. I've looked at many of them and they all seem to be off at the top back corner - is this just me?

2. The hatch alignment (same as above). Ours was "fixed" by the dealer but still a little off. Anyone else notice this?

3. The A/C. I have an 05 Accord and my AC is dead silent when i turn it on and blows ICE ICE cold. What I notice on my Touring is the following. a) The a/c compressor (or fans) are quite noisy. you can actually hear them engage when you snap the A/C on. b) with the A/C on low, i find that with the rear air on, the A/C does not seem to blow as cold at times. It's almost like the compressor has two stages and occasionally goes into some kind of economy mode and does not blow as cold) - any one else?

Also, i have noticed that even when the "AC off" is lit, the system truns on the AC - no cool box on, no defrost, it just turns itself on (still says "AC off", but blows cold):huh:

4. Aside from vocie control, how the heck do you turn off the rear climate control from the driver's seat?

5. TPMS - had the dealer "fix" my TPMS warning, only to get a block from home and have the system warning message come back on - oddly enough , i can't trun the TRAC off (this could be a problem as I was not going to put TPMS winter tires on).

6. RES - my kids tell me that when I turn off the system and then turn it back on, all they hear is buzzing from the earphones, they have to reset the earphones to get the system back on line :huh:

7. Paint Quality - It's poor in my opinion...thoughts?

8. GPS Traffic... been through all the menus and still can't figure out how to turn it on

Other obsorvations

Yes, my front struts creak, but not when I take it in for service :nothappy: so they won't do anything yet...

NO battery warning problems - yet! :DD

·
Registered
507 Posts
It does seem that the AC shuts off briefly when the car goes into ECO mode. The shop foreman noted this on my first 2011 elite. I haven't yet experienced it in my Touring Elite though I haven't driven it much yet.

My strut was also creaky and fixed twice.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Personally, I think you're being a bit picky, but then again, most of the things that bother you don't seem to bother me.

1. My sliding doors seem fine and I've never had any issue with the way they look or operate.

2. One of the panels next to the hatch is slightly off, but not enough to be readily noticeable or bother me.

3. My A/C on low (with the rear air on) blows quite cool.

4. See page 231 in the manual: To turn the rear system completely off, press the ON/OFF button on the rear control panel or press and hold the REAR LOCK button on the front control panel for more than 2 seconds.

5. I've had one TPMS warning in six months of driving the car. We added air to the tires and the message was gone. No other issues with TPMS.

6. I've never tried this so I'm not sure if the buzzing exists. But I have used the headphones several times to watch some movies and listen to music and they sound okay. Nothing earth shattering though!

7. My paint is fine. No issues with the quality.

8. We never use this feature so I can't comment. Frankly, I don't even think this feature is available in Canada. The GPS itself is not bad. Not as good as a portable Garmin but better than the GPS in a lot of other cars.

9. I have not heard my front struts creaking.

10. Yes, my one major headache has been the battery warning system. After the battery died and the dealer gave us a new battery, the warnings seemed to have disappeared.

[FONT=&quot]Anyway, I hope you enjoy driving your van and don't let the negative things bother you!

;)

[/FONT]

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Personally, I think you're being a bit picky, but then again, most of the things that bother you don't seem to bother me.

1. My sliding doors seem fine and I've never had any issue with the way they look or operate.

2. One of the panels next to the hatch is slightly off, but not enough to be readily noticeable or bother me.

3. My A/C on low (with the rear air on) blows quite cool.

4. See page 231 in the manual: To turn the rear system completely off, press the ON/OFF button on the rear control panel or press and hold the REAR LOCK button on the front control panel for more than 2 seconds.

5. I've had one TPMS warning in six months of driving the car. We added air to the tires and the message was gone. No other issues with TPMS.

6. I've never tried this so I'm not sure if the buzzing exists. But I have used the headphones several times to watch some movies and listen to music and they sound okay. Nothing earth shattering though!

7. My paint is fine. No issues with the quality.

8. We never use this feature so I can't comment. Frankly, I don't even think this feature is available in Canada. The GPS itself is not bad. Not as good as a portable Garmin but better than the GPS in a lot of other cars.

9. I have not heard my front struts creaking.

10. Yes, my one major headache has been the battery warning system. After the battery died and the dealer gave us a new battery, the warnings seemed to have disappeared.

[FONT=&quot]Anyway, I hope you enjoy driving your van and don't let the negative things bother you!

;)

[/FONT]
ok,

so i went through my manual and i DONT have fm traffic of text to speech gps street names??? how is this possible, is this a feature limited to US models???

the menus dont exist on my car

·
Registered
427 Posts
Personally, I think you're being a bit picky, but then again, most of the things that bother you don't seem to bother meAnyway, I hope you enjoy driving your van and don't let the negative things bother you!

;)

[/FONT]
I agree! ... Heck I can hear the compressor click on in $60k+ cars I've owned.. Despite the minor negatives, the overall 2011 has been pretty good.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree! ... Heck I can hear the compressor click on in $60k+ cars I've owned.. Despite the minor negatives, the overall 2011 has been pretty good.
It's not the clicking on, thats quite normal, its the groaning it makes when runnng... Anyone else notice this?

Compared to my 05 accord exv6. It's quite loud.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Was the thing in an accident? Look for differences in the paint work, misaligned panels, was the spare tire used, is there missing pieces to panels?

Some moron could have backed into something taking it off the truck, moving it around the lot, etc. Who knows.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have heard that FM Traffic is US only. To turn it on in the US, you enable the traffic icon. Look in the manual for how to enable icons.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have heard that FM Traffic is US only. To turn it on in the US, you enable the traffic icon. Look in the manual for how to enable icons.

I've been through the manual, it does not even mention traffic and text to speech. when i tried to turn it on like the US manual notes, the menus simply are not there?

·
Registered
3 Posts
recently took a delivery of EX-L, our first minivan, our first honda. i agree with richpor with regard to "fit and finish" of the vehicle. for a car that costs more than 30 grand, i'm a bit disappointed with panels that are not aligned and paint job that is noticeably sloppy. we bought the vehicle for its versatility and reliability so i'm willing to overlook them, for now.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
my FM traffic is total crap as well, I get no highway speeds reported, and only rare and random short road segments.

We too have the poorly aligned rear door, slinding doors don't have exactly the same gaps all around

It's easy to say "oh well it's a 40k car, it should have this and that and the other", but to me, we got it because of the comfort, the features, interior space, versatility and general cosmetic appeal. In that respect, I think the van scores very well. You can't have all that + the materials and fit and finish of an Acura RL.

don't miss understand me, the van isn't perfect, far from it, and I do think Honda fell short of the mark in a few areas, but I still think the odyssey is a decent bargain in any of the trim levels

·
Registered
739 Posts
A tip I got, do not know how much credibility it has, but if you want to get the sliding door alignment and closing working picture perfect on your Ody, take it to a good body shop, not to a Honda dealer.

·
Registered
134 Posts
all of these issues could have easily been observed before you took delivery. i don't get why people buy a vehicle they don't like, and then get on a forum and complain about it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
We've had 4 Odyssey's now and every time we get the Mid Model Change version. Yes I trade in a lot, but that's my personal choice, but I see a marked improvement when Honda does do the MMC. I'm beginning to think that they purposely make the initial years lower in quality to make sure there are buyers when the improvements come. I will say that the first model had the greatest MMC quality wise, IMHO.

·
Registered
57 Posts
recently took a delivery of EX-L, our first minivan, our first honda. i agree with richpor with regard to "fit and finish" of the vehicle. for a car that costs more than 30 grand, i'm a bit disappointed with panels that are not aligned and paint job that is noticeably sloppy. we bought the vehicle for its versatility and reliability so i'm willing to overlook them, for now.
The van was hit. This is not from the factory. Misaligned panels is flag #1 and strange paint drips is flag #2.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The van was hit. This is not from the factory. Misaligned panels is flag #1 and strange paint drips is flag #2.
Yes, that is a good possibility. The OP should take it to a body shop and have them further investigate. It may have been hit on the dealer lot and resold as new without disclosing it.. seen that before... unfortunately.

·
Registered
427 Posts
all of these issues could have easily been observed before you took delivery. i don't get why people buy a vehicle they don't like, and then get on a forum and complain about it.
Very true.. unless the OP didn't notice until they got the vehicle home.. Some people don't check it out thoroughly. I don't know if this is the case here. I had this happen once many years ago, never pick up a new car at night time..LOL!
But most forums are usually to bash things anyway... Usually more than praising the item.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The best way to get the best deal is to point out to the salesman everything that may suggest it was hit. All seams should line up, all paint should match. If it doesn't it's been repaired.
Then you point out that they are selling a car that has signs of being hit even though they aren't disclosing it...then you offer them $5k under what they want for it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts