Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove the new Sienna Limited today. I had a few concerns and want to see if the Ody has the same issues?
During my test drive I flipped down the extra wide dual video screen since my kids will always be watching. It cut off the top 3rd of the visibility out the back window. I also felt the steering wheel was not centered on the driver’s seat but more wards the center of the car. Lastly is the seat bottom shorter than the Ody?
I love my 2002 Ody and I am not a big fan of the new look of the outside of the Ody. I am taking a test drive tomorrow and hope it is a better experience then the Toyota.

Any comments are appreciated.
thanks

·
Registered
511 Posts
We have an aftermarket DVD unit and let tell you the back window visibility is almost non existent. I rely heavily on the side windows when it's down.

So the steering wheel is not centered to the driver's seat? That would annoy me too.

What about Nissan's 2011 Quest? No one seem to be talking about it, but from the pics online, it's not that entirely bad looking.

·
Registered
613 Posts
IDK about the wheel on the T, but I do know its not uncommon for the steering wheels to be offset a little bit. GM was famous for doing it on car, but I can't remember...but reviewers didn't like it although I think it was more mental than an issue with action.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have never had a vehicle with a rear entertainment system that has not blocked some of the rearview vision. If you're going to have a screen flip down from the roof you're going to compromise on visibility.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 02 with the dvd down does not block anything out the back window. It is very nice.

·
Registered
506 Posts
windycityody said:
My 02 with the dvd down does not block anything out the back window. It is very nice.
Yes, but is it factory, how big is the screen, and do you also have a sunroof? Answering yes to even 1 of these will affect whether or not you have visibility issues.

Since you're an 02 the answer is no to sunroof so that would help. I also don't believe factory DVD was offered in 02, or at least not up here in canada.

Cheers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Factory installed. No sunroof. I think it was the first year with the RES

·
Registered
154 Posts
We also looked at the Sienna. I just didn't like the overall package. Toyotas while mostly reliable tend to feel cheap to me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
jbrain1 said:
We also looked at the Sienna. I just didn't like the overall package. Toyotas while mostly reliable tend to feel cheap to me.
We recently test drove a Toyota Sienna also. Although it wasn't a top of the line model, it felt cheap to us too and the road noise was alomst as bad as the Honda. The electric power steering felt odd, but I imagine we would get used to it eventually. The only thing that would temp us to trade is for Honda or Toyota to quiet down the road noise.

Bill

·
Registered
665 Posts
Your repair cost on the sienna should be lower due to the fact that it uses a timing chain on the engine instead of a timing belt like the odyssey. That's only if you keep it past 105k though.

·
Registered
506 Posts
B&J said:
Although it wasn't a top of the line model, it felt cheap to us too and the road noise was alomst as bad as the Honda. The only thing that would temp us to trade is for Honda or Toyota to quiet down the road noise.

Bill
Our Sienna is quieter than our Ody and neither was bad in terms of road noise. Not sure what you're expecting for quiet but as vehicles go they are pretty much as quiet as anything else on the road in this price range and vehicle type.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Snobike Mike said:
Not sure what you're expecting for quiet but as vehicles go they are pretty much as quiet as anything else on the road in this price range and vehicle type.
Yup, in addition that minivans are literally a box on wheels, just compare their greenhouse size to other vehicles. As per any other noise at cruise speed, I'm sure the mirrors add a lot to it, might be the next year they'll get to quite that down (I've seen that on other vehicle brands)

·
Registered
12 Posts
We just leased the 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L RES on Dec 31, 2010. We had a 2007 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited which we were leasing. We really enjoyed the Sienna but always contemplated the Ody since we have friends who have a 2007 Honda Ody and when riding in their van we ALWAYS commented on how comfortable their seats were so we decided to try both vans for comparison before leasing again.

Toyota contacted us in early December to come in and try out the 2011 Sienna and they would pay off the remainder of the lease and waive the lease termination fee if we leased a new one. Went in over the holiday to test drive an XLE and was not impressed. First of all, we don't like the looks of the new Sienna body. We didn't like the steering wheel placement and how small it is. The backup up camera display is smaller than the EX-L RES and the seats are just as uncomfortable as the 2007 Sienna. The seats chop off my husband's legs mid thigh (he's 6') and I notice it myself at 5'5". Toyota also wanted MORE money than Honda to get into another lease. We told Honda the deal we wanted and we came to an agreement after the first offer. The Ody seats are way more comfortable and I like the steering much better. I've always detested the feel of Toyota/Lexus because I like the feel of the road when I'm driving.

There are a few things that I miss from my Sienna, such as the hooks on back of the driver seat for shopping bags, blinker lights on the side mirrors, side mirrors don't fold in at the touch of a button, bumper sensors, 3rd row rear mirrors do not open and on my first tank of gas I'm about 2 mpg less than the Sienna. In order to keep some of these bells and whistles, we should have chosen the Touring/Touring Elite but couldn't justify the price for those little luxuries.

Overall, I'm loving driving the new Ody more each day. It feels very "car" like rather than a minivan - I always felt like I was pulling a cart with the Sienna. I love the display screen, bluetooth and XM radio (which I'll probably give up after the trial period since I have an iPhone with Pandora and my own music). My husband is pleased with the comfort and my son loves the DVD - which was a luxury I could've lived without.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I actually like the new sienna exterior and wanted AWD but couldn't get over the asymmetric center console so i never even test drove it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I actually like the new sienna exterior and wanted AWD but couldn't get over the asymmetric center console so i never even test drove it.
Couldn't help but wade in on this discussion, since before my wife and I (finally) decided that an Ody was the way to go, we needed to check out the new '11 Sienna at the auto show to confirm if we liked it or not.

Well that took about 20 seconds, when upon getting in, my wife took one look at the dash and said: "there's NO way in hell I'm gonna put up with that swoosh on the dash every day !" :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
If that's the only issue you have with the entire vehicle, just paint the swoosh to match the dash? Its that big a deal? Maybe I need to go in to business selling replacement dash swooshes that blend in more. :rollingeyes:

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
We recently test drove a Toyota Sienna also. Although it wasn't a top of the line model, it felt cheap to us too and the road noise was alomst as bad as the Honda. The electric power steering felt odd, but I imagine we would get used to it eventually. The only thing that would temp us to trade is for Honda or Toyota to quiet down the road noise.

Bill
Just wanted to update with a tidbit on how Toyota is making use of their electric steering system. They have integrated it with the adaptive cruise control and the powertrain control module. If the car approaches an obstacle while going too fast to stop, the car will steer itself away from the obstacle.

While this is brilliant engineering, I feel it's yet another unnecessary increase in the intelligence of the car at the expense of the driver's control.

Toyota Motor Corporation Enhances Vehicle Technologies for Safer Traffic Environments / Toyota Canada, Inc.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Just wanted to update with a tidbit on how Toyota is making use of their electric steering system. They have integrated it with the adaptive cruise control and the powertrain control module. If the car approaches an obstacle while going too fast to stop, the car will steer itself away from the obstacle.

While this is brilliant engineering, I feel it's yet another unnecessary increase in the intelligence of the car at the expense of the driver's control.

Toyota Motor Corporation Enhances Vehicle Technologies for Safer Traffic Environments / Toyota Canada, Inc.
I'm torn between the Sienna and the Quest, but its mainly the advanced technology package that is attracting me to the Sienna, of course its also a lot more expensive at 47K. I still can't believe that the Sienna has radar cruise control, but no blind spot warning, especially when it has the worst blind spot of them all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts