Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had a 2005 LX Odyssey for 5 years. We have 3 kids. Our one big mistake is that we didn't get leather. Having kids, we've regretted that decision ever since. With that said, we're really getting tired of our 05 and ready for a new van.

We received a flier in the mail from the local Honda dealership telling us about a special finance deal that they had on 2010 Odysseys. They were throwing in some extras like an extended warranty, so we thought why not go down and check it out. This time get the leather right?

Well when we got to the Honda dealership we decided we had to at least check out the new Siennas, seeing as has how we couldn't possibly make a decision on buying a new Odyssey without at least LOOKING at the sienna even if it was just a cursory to "check the boxes" type of glance. We knew of course we would end up back and the Honda dealership since we've pretty much owned Hondas for the last 25 years (and since the last Odyssey was WAY better than the last Sienna). Well, there we were checking out the 2010 Odyssey with leather (the EX-L). It didn't seem that impressive us, but mainly because we wanted a green Odyssey and they just don't sell that color anymore. It felt like the same car we had and given that we were just picking up the leather--it didn't seem like it was worth 35K. The dealer had another 8K markup on it after the MSRP...not a good sign for negotiating to invoice. So we ended up leaving there and heading over to the Toyota dealer and checking out their new Sienna. Here's the surprise: we really liked it. It's a much better van than their prior generation.

Which is now why I am posting here now. We really liked the Sienna. And we are seriously considering it as a replacement to our 05 Odyssey. Price wise appears better. There are some draw backs. I'd say the Sienna doesn't handle quite as good as the Odyssey, but that may be just because I'm used to the Odyssey. It felt like a "fatter" car to me. The brakes seemed sluggish and the engine didn't seem quiet as peppy to me, although it does come with a 6 speed auto which is nice.

The dilemma we have is do we wait for the 2011 Odyssey???? The 2011 Odyssey is also supposed to be redesigned. I'd like to know what that is like before I commit to the Sienna. Specifically, I want to know if the rumors are true. Is the 2011 Odyssey getting a diesel engine as an option? Is that true? Is the 2011 Honda Odyssey coming with a possible diesel engine? If it is, I'm waiting. We own an 09 335d which I just love. The torque is unreal and the car gets 40 mpg on the highway.

If the Odyssey comes with a diesel option that will probably put the mpg to over 30+ in the highway. That would be a key selling point for me.

So does anyone know the truth?

·
Registered
524 Posts
The dealer had another 8K markup on it after the MSRP...
Avoid this dealer. Clearance time for 2010 is near. And added 8K on a 2010? Robbery anyone? A new end of year Odyssey is not worth 8K ADDED DEALER PROFIT. New vans are made every day.

·
Registered
461 Posts
We were faced with a similar quandary and we wanted to trade now instead of this fall. I showed by wife the new 2011 Ody and she hated the styling says it looks like an Acura.

We went and drove the Sienna and really liked it. The styling is awesome inside and out, and while it does not handle as well as the Ody it is very smooth and very quiet. Plus Toyota offers Bluetooth and Bluetooth Audio streaming from the LE up.

Both are good vehicles, but we really like our Sienna XLE.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your sentiments are almost a perfect match with what we are thinking.

At this point, we're leaning towards the Sienna. It's hard to believe that I could be buying a Toyota, but it just seems that Honda has overreached a little here.

I do agree with the sentiment regarding the 2010 Odyssey. I thought what nerve myself. We paid $500 over invoice for our 2005 when we bought in back in 2005 and this guy thought we'd pay $8K over? Ain't gonna happen.

I've been doing some research on the prices for the Sienna and it looks like we get can get it below invoice. If we can, we just might pull the trigger.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We might end up doing just that. We agreed on a price and vehicle today at the Toyota dealership, but, as fate would have it, the car in the color scheme we want with the options we want won't be made for at least another month. So no Toyota, meanwhile the clock keeps ticking and maybe we'll learn more about the new 2011 Odyssey.

I really find this Dealer markup over MSRP insulting, but maybe I'm taking it a little too personal.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'd keep your 05 for now and if you want leather have an upholstery shop install some. Our 09 odyssey was a pos with a bunch of little problems, and the 2011 being a model change I would avoid it for now. And there is no way they are going to put a diesel in the odyssey anytime soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check the OTD - not the MSRP

I ended up buying 2010 Ody EXL-R&N for several thousands less than the similar trim 2011 Sienna, due to the market support incentives.

I didn't care about the appearance, brand, rumors when I was in the market.

I would have purchased Sienna if it was at least a grand less than the similar Odyssey ;)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Re: Check the OTD - not the MSRP

OnePenny said:
I ended up buying 2010 Ody EXL-R&N for several thousands less than the similar trim 2011 Sienna, due to the market support incentives.

I didn't care about the appearance, brand, rumors when I was in the market.

I would have purchased Sienna if it was at least a grand less than the similar Odyssey ;)
Congrats, just like we did. What color is the van btw.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: Re: Check the OTD - not the MSRP

whoa said:
Congrats, just like we did. What color is the van btw.
I preferred Black, wifey liked Bali blue. The dealer who agreed for the price had Silver, which is our 2nd preference. So, we ended up with Silver.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
arretium said:
I really find this Dealer markup over MSRP insulting, but maybe I'm taking it a little too personal.
Remember there is more than one Honda dealer that you can buy from. Don't just go with the Sienna because you don't like one Honda dealer and their price. Keep the issues separate.

If you read the "Prices paid for a 2010" thread here you'll see there are people paying less than invoice for Odysseys.

If you decide Odyssey, for a short time you'll still be able to get a 2010.

Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
VanMan09 said:
I'd keep your 05 for now and if you want leather have an upholstery shop install some. Our 09 odyssey was a pos with a bunch of little problems, and the 2011 being a model change I would avoid it for now. And there is no way they are going to put a diesel in the odyssey anytime soon.

How much would it cost to add leather upholstry to our 05?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Our's is a '06 EXL-RES and we've had more than our share of problems and we only have 35000kms on ours. Very happy with the way it handles but not impressed with the quality of the vehicle, especially the paint. It's Silver Pearl and is covered with dark blotches and looks like crap. We're thinking about trading it for a 2012 Sienna.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you live in a big city their should be some reputable leather/upholstery shops around. We have one here that I know charged $900 to do a quad cab truck. The van should be a little more than that because of the 3rd row(which is actually vinyl). Katzkin covers are nice but expensive, plus you will have to either install it yourself or pay someone else. I would call around and ask a few places for estimates. Within making 3 payments on a new van you could have added leather to your 05, but I do agree leather is the only way to go.

On another note from the previous poster, our white paint chipped horribly. Everytime we drove the van it would have new chips down to the metal either on the front or sides. Noticed on the lot that several of honda's other models with white paint had several chips and some had rust spots from chips on the front. Also had an 07 silver pearl and it looked like parts of the vans paint where in the shade even though no trees were around.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think one should wait until the new Odyssey comes out to make a decision.

Look at this video of the new Odyssey, and the interior is just miles ahead of the Sienna IMO. The seats have wonderful contours and the dash looks clean and classy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1O4f0jLnWA

The new Sienna already seems to have some quality issues (from Edmunds and other Toyota forums), and since this van was designed before the current Toyota PR fiasco, I would really hesitate to buy it, especially since this is the first year.

We've had a 1st model year Civic and CR-V, and have been very happy with the vehicle reliability.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
On another note from the previous poster, our white paint chipped horribly. Everytime we drove the van it would have new chips down to the metal either on the front or sides. Noticed on the lot that several of honda's other models with white paint had several chips and some had rust spots from chips on the front. Also had an 07 silver pearl and it looked like parts of the vans paint where in the shade even though no trees were around. [/B][/QUOTE]

Finally someone agrees with me that Honda has a paint problem. And it's not just the white or Silver Pearl. The dark blotching in the Silver Pearl that we have is unacceptable for a Honda and I can't believe that all the '05-'10's are all the same. Honda must have had a ton of complaints and didn't do anything about it. Look at the dark blue, the paint was pealing off because they used a water based paint. I think they even extended the warranty on the blue.

·
Registered
463 Posts
We are shopping around to replace our 04 EX with 101k on it, so I stopped in to drive the new Sienna. As expected, the ride seemed less firm than ours, and I did not like the slow speed steering at all, like when turning to park. I think the steering wheel might have even turned without me touching it. I don't long for the days of no power steering, but that was a little too easy. I think my biggest complaint was, if I saw correctly, the black styrofoam that I saw in the front fender wells when I opened the front doors. If that was a cost saving measure, they need to rethink it and cover it up. I am hoping someone will tell me that is something they remove before a customer takes delivery. Oh, it also does not have a flat surface to rest your arm on at the base of the front side windows. Anyway, I got back in the Ody and decided that our 04 is definitely a better choice for us, at least until the 2011s arrive.

·
Registered
461 Posts
tom34diy said:
We are shopping around to replace our 04 EX with 101k on it, so I stopped in to drive the new Sienna. As expected, the ride seemed less firm than ours, and I did not like the slow speed steering at all, like when turning to park. I think the steering wheel might have even turned without me touching it. I don't long for the days of no power steering, but that was a little too easy. I think my biggest complaint was, if I saw correctly, the black styrofoam that I saw in the front fender wells when I opened the front doors. If that was a cost saving measure, they need to rethink it and cover it up. I am hoping someone will tell me that is something they remove before a customer takes delivery. Oh, it also does not have a flat surface to rest your arm on at the base of the front side windows. Anyway, I got back in the Ody and decided that our 04 is definitely a better choice for us, at least until the 2011s arrive.
That is sound deadening, something that I know our 2006 Odyssey did not have.

Here is a link to some pictures for those that want to see.

·
Registered
461 Posts
We took our first road trip in the Sienna driving from Charleston SC to Washington DC and Baltimore Md.

We go 25 MPG and better up and back, not bad considering we had the van loaded with 5 people and luggage. I am sure it will get better when it has more miles.

A few things that I have noticed.

1) I love the sliding door switches on the inside of the b pillar. Its easy to miss if you don't know that its there, but it sure is handy.

2. Keyless start, I love this. It is so great not to have to have the keys to start the van. Keys in the pocket and I can open the van. Great when you have your hands full and don't want to sit something down to get keys out of your pocket.

3. Wifes mother watched movies the whole time while my kiddo played Wii, love the split screen.

4. Bluetooth streaming is cool, I listen to Slacker on the way up. On the way back I was able to listen to you tube videos of NFL HOF speeches over my i phone through the car speakers. Then last night I was listening to the Cowboys Pregame show using pockettunes so I could listen to Dallas sports radio while driving through the Carolinas, isn't technology wonderful.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts