Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had an EX-L RES for about a 5 weeks now and about 2 weeks after we had it I looked in the driver's side mirror and notice something was protruding from the side of the van about 1/4 an inch. When I took a look at it I found it was a plastic trim panel covering the door track below the window. I was able to push it in some, so it was now sticking out about 1/8 an inch. We made a dealer appointment (ours has a body shop so they were the ones to look at it), and they adjusted it but it still protrudes slightly. Not very noticable now, but not perfectly aligned either.

I happened to see the vehicle waiting before I picked it up so out of curiousity I walked the lot and looked at the '11's on the lot. Out the 8 they had, 7 had the issue. 2 of them had it on both sides, but most had it just one side. Interestingly, all but one had it on the driver's side.

I think this is strictly cosmetic at this point, but I am perferctionist so I am annoyed by this minor defect. I also found a missing screw on one wheel well and the driver's door lock rubber trim is mis-aligned as well (rubber protrudes out slightly past the body panel). One the van we test drove, I also noticed a seal below the chrome strip on the back wasn't placed properly and was also protruding.

This is my first Honda, and have heard nothing but good things about them so far. Wondering if these are 1st year production issues or if quality is slipping for some reason. Admittedly, they are all very minor issues as it took some time for me to notice them, but like I said I prefer my new vehicles to not have any out-of-the-box issues.

Has anyone else noticed the door trim issue? Based on my sampling I would guess a majority of owners have it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My trim is loose on rear of passenger side door...bottom of window...the chrome piece. Yes it sucks as van is brand new. Sounds like a differnt piece than what you're talking about.

Will mention it when it goes in for first service.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Would you be able to see the problem in this pic if it existed? I don't see anything abnormally protruding.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hasenpfeffer said:
Would you be able to see the problem in this pic if it existed? I don't see anything abnormally protruding.

Yep, it is the piece in the center of the photo running just above the door track parallel to the ground. From what I can tell in your photo, yours is fine but it is easiest to see when viewing from the front as with mine it was bottom "point" closest to sliding door that was protruding away from the side of the van. Also easy to see in the side mirrors as it gives you a clean view of the side.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
N8G said:
Yep, it is the piece in the center of the photo running just above the door track parallel to the ground. From what I can tell in your photo, yours is fine but it is easiest to see when viewing from the front as with mine it was bottom "point" closest to sliding door that was protruding away from the side of the van. Also easy to see in the side mirrors as it gives you a clean view of the side.
Hope you don't mind hasenpfeffer, but I borrowed your pic and put a red circle on it to illustrate where I have been seeing the issue.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/dSZGtZFPurkWo7CCwK4Nlw?feat=directlink

·
Registered
196 Posts
I still wasn't quite sure what piece you were talking about until I got home and looked at the van. It's the entire body panel between the window and the track that is plastic and can be out of place. Yeah, looks like mine is fine. Here's another pic from the front:

BTW, thanks for now making me paranoid about all the details that I also want to be perfect, but have been trying really really hard not to look for, because I have the same tendencies :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
Door trim sticking out too

I'm having the same issue with my new Ody...two days old. Since it's so new, I'm at the starting line of researching solutions. Are dealers able to do anything? Has Honda release a technical service bulletin?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There hasn't been any TSB or tech notes posted anywhere that I have seen. I would guess that either they have addressed the problem at the factory or (more likely) most people just don't notice it.

As for the solution, I took it to the dealer and they researched how to adjust the piece and did so. When I first picked it up after the adjustment I thought it wasn't quite perfect, but either I have grown used to how it looks or it has actually settled into place since then because I don't notice any protrusions now, even when looking for it.

I would suggest just taking it in and let them adjust it. If you don't like how it turns out you can have them order a new one for you.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have this too, on both sides, probably 1/4" or so.
I have the exact same problem, reported it in my review yesterday, only body panel that seems off. It does not seem like a sample error, just seems like the design, maybe temperature sensative piece?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a 2011 touring and have the exact same issue on the driver's side. Sticks out about a 1/4" at the bottom corner of the panel. I went to the dealer a couple days ago and said it was normal but I don't think he was looking at the same thing I was. I think he looked at the gap between the panels not how far out it is. I might stop back again since I am sick of looking in the rear view mirror and thinking I have something sticking out of the door.

Has anyone tried to realign the panel? Is it possible?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the same thing on my van that N8G circled. Mine is on the driver's side.
I noticed the corner of the panel sticking out when I did my inspection. The manager came to take a look and down played it and said it was nothing. He said they couldn't do anything about it. Eventually some people from the body shop came and "massaged" the piece (manager's word). The piece is still sticking out slightly but not as bad as before. The manager said that when the vehicles leave the factory they are inspected and there is a range of what is acceptable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
same issue here. i just pushed on it really hard to try and flex it a little and it helped. could be warping due to the heat here in fl??

·
Registered
11 Posts
We have the same issue too. i took it to the dealer on Friday and they stated the same thing that it is very minor and that if he was to replace the plastic panel he could not gaurantee it would look better. it does look a smitch better to my eye after leaving the dealer. we also had a problem with the gas door not being aligned which they fixed. (* it was depressed in on front of door and back towards tailgate was flush with surrounding panel)
of course the creaking noise from front decided not to make noise, so they could not fix that problem. :mad:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Katoo,
I have a creaking noise too but mine is coming from the back passenger side. It sounds like something's loose to me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have the same problem. I am think of removing that plastic panel and see if I can shave some plastic off the bottom of the hole where the screw is fastened (if you look at it when the door is open) and maybe somewhere else inside that panel. That is of course if I know how to remove the panel without disassembling the van. :DD

Pushing it in only does not help much because the top of the panel is too close to the window trim.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my new Ody...two days old. Since it's so new, I'm at the starting line of researching solutions. Are dealers able to do anything? Has Honda release a technical service bulletin?
Don't-cha just get sick and tired of hearing the same old dealer response about "that" being "normal" everytime a paying customer has a concern about their $30,000 plus purchase or that nothing can be done to correct a problem???

It makes a person want to go "postal" on them

I too have the panel sticking out on the drivers side and when I pointed it out to the dealer was told it was not adjustable (censord comments)

RCAV8TOR

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yes, I have the same issue. Passenger side is nicely aligned, but the driver's side sticks out slightly.

Since the dealers who are willing to try to adjust the panel are having limited success, I'm thinking possibly an issue from the supplier. Just have to wait and see if this remains a problem with in future years.

·
Registered
11 Posts
jba,
I don't notice it from the rear, maybe you do have something loose. the noise i am having occurs with turning in/ out of a driveway or parking spot at low speeds only. let us know when you find out where your noise is coming from. good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The issue IMO is not the trim but the actual sliding door once closed. If you look at both side, have you noticed that the one door where door track plastic body trim looks flush and the other side is slightly off. Took me awhile to figure it out why one was aligned correctly and the other was not.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts