Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 3 month old Touring Elite, just starting to get into full summer heat here in the midwest, hence giving the A/C a real test as we've had several days in the mid 90s recently.

It doesnt seem like the AC ever really gets cold. Even with AC set to AUTO "LO" or 60 or anything close it just never really seems cold. This past weekend we drove a highway speeds for about 25 minutes with the AC on AUTO coldest setting, fans on high (both AC's going) and still it never really felt cool in the car. All passengers sticking to the leather seats.

By comparison, my 08 Acura TL freezes you out if you have the AC on coldest setting.

Anyone else having this issue? Trying to decide whether to give up the van for a day to have the dealer look at and likely tell me this is normal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Me too. I got my EX last week and noticed it the past couple of days when I was driving around a bunch. When I first turn the car on - no cold air at all. It only blows warm. When I drive it will cool down but it's not cold like my '04 EX. If I stop at a stoplight it gets warm again. I'm going to take it back to the dealer to get looked at.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would take it to Howdy Honda, they have a great service department and there techs are good. Get there early though, they get busy fast.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the tip dusty179. I live right next to 45 toll so Howdy Honda is a 40 min drive. I made an appointment with Round Rock Honda.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
curious, but what color is your van? If it's a dark color, maybe in the sun, the roof vents struggle to get cool, so they don't put out any cold air.

we've never had to resort to setting the A/C to LO or 60. We keep it on 74 the whole time. our van is white.

·
Registered
427 Posts
curious, but what color is your van? If it's a dark color, maybe in the sun, the roof vents struggle to get cool, so they don't put out any cold air.

we've never had to resort to setting the A/C to LO or 60. We keep it on 74 the whole time. our van is white.
No problems in our Black Touring Elite. One key is to leave the sunroof cover shut, it will keep out some sun.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Make sure all the vents are open in the back. Our little ones love to close them so I have to make sure they are open. Or else only the front vents will be blowing air and it'll struggle to keep up with the heat.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Have a 3 month old Touring Elite, just starting to get into full summer heat here in the midwest, hence giving the A/C a real test as we've had several days in the mid 90s recently.

It doesnt seem like the AC ever really gets cold. Even with AC set to AUTO "LO" or 60 or anything close it just never really seems cold. This past weekend we drove a highway speeds for about 25 minutes with the AC on AUTO coldest setting, fans on high (both AC's going) and still it never really felt cool in the car. All passengers sticking to the leather seats.

By comparison, my 08 Acura TL freezes you out if you have the AC on coldest setting.

Anyone else having this issue? Trying to decide whether to give up the van for a day to have the dealer look at and likely tell me this is normal.
Have a dealer do a diagnostic check on the A/C. You can also check by measuring the air temp at the vents as well with a scan tool. As long as it's in the factory range it's normal. You said it was in the mid 90's... that will do it to any car... any car with multiple passengers will struggle with a/c with 95 and high humidity unless it's night time...

My oddy will get uncomfortable if I leave it on the coldest A/C too , uncomfortably cold. Have yours checked out.

·
Registered
70 Posts

+1, I think it has something to do with the "ECO" system. It's almost like the A/C compressor is two stage... I did notice that if i turn the rear A/C off, the front gets MUCH colder. I also noticed that turning on recirc and putting the vents on blend turns the A/C icy cold.

It's a far cry from the A/C in my 05 Accord V6, but it does eventually get cold. The interesting thing is that i can actually feel when the A/C is running at full power and "econ" mode... which i think happens when the eco light comes on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You said it was in the mid 90's... that will do it to any car... any car with multiple passengers will struggle with a/c with 95 and high humidity unless it's night time...
That must be what it is with mine. Oddly, as soon as a made a service appt the a/c is doing it's job.

It's been around 100 here everyday and with 4 kids in tow it struggles midday but today - it was only 95 yeah! - and the a/c was very cold.

·
Registered
427 Posts
That must be what it is with mine. Oddly, as soon as a made a service appt the a/c is doing it's job.

It's been around 100 here everyday and with 4 kids in tow it struggles midday but today - it was only 95 yeah! - and the a/c was very cold.
Could be.. it was 95 to 100 in the NY City area yesterday and today and with the family inside, it took a while to cool down, but then so did my sedan.

·
Registered
70 Posts
same here: Our white touring takes about double the time cooling down a hot interior as did our 2nd and 3rd gen. Eventually, it does get there. I've noticed, at times, the a/c seems to run colder than other times -similar to comments by Richpor. I'm just guessing, the amount of computer 'hand-holding' has something to do with it. IOW, the sensors are telling the computer it's hot, but, the computer needs to consider other vehicle factors like ECO mode, overall system current draw, fan speeds, auto operation, and... stuff like that. Just guessing. But, yeah, do wish it would cool faster.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts