Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Situation: I own a 2011 Touring Elite. After the wife/kids left the ignition in the accessory position and the RES on overnight, the battery discharged. After a jump start, the VSA and ABS warnings illuminate constantly. There is no battery low warning, and it appears to be properly recharged. The sliding doors will not operate with the engine on, which I know (from these forums), is a consequence of the VSA failure to report a zero/low speed condition for safe door operation. I have tried disconnecting battery for ten minutes, then performing an idle learn procedure. No change. The dealer cannot fit us in until Saturday morning, and I may need to travel this weekend.

Question: Am I missing any user step to reset the VSA/ABS system?

·
Super Moderator
1,165 Posts
Check the number 23 (7.5 A) fuse in the driver's under-dash fuse/relay box.

Check the number 2-7 (30 A) fuse in the secondary under-hood fuse box.

See the fuse locations section in the owner's manual for details.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same problem. I asked the dealer if I could reset things myself, they said no, and that it was a complex procedure. I had to go to the dealer to have them do the reset.
Seems silly that a flat battery requires a dealer visit to fix.

·
Super Moderator
13,481 Posts
I would keep the battery disconnected longer than the said 10 minutes. Keep it disconnected for an hour or better yet overnight and see if you can get away with not needing to go to the stealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. I double checked the fuses, which were intact, and just disconnected the negative terminal for the night. Will advise tomorrow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After leaving the battery disconnected overnight, same VSA/ABS faults exist. Off to dealer. Makes me wonder about changing a battery without a dealer visit, etc. Will post outcome and thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
13,481 Posts
Ugh. Please post back what they do to resolve it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back from the dealer. Diagnosis: "WENT INTO THE PCM AND CLEARED CODES FROM E DIFFERENT SYSTEMS AND NONE RETURNED. EVERYTHING WORKS GREAT." Labor cost was $47. The dealer threw in a winter tire exchange and TPMS read/program for $15. Spoke with the technician, who told me that these faults, in theory, should not happen with a battery discharge, but that they sometimes do. Also mentioned that, in order to clear the system, he recommended disconnecting both the positive and negative battery cables, waiting 30 minutes, then carefully clamping both the positive and negative cables together for an additional 30+ minutes, in order to discharge capacitors that make fault codes persistent.

·
Super Moderator
13,481 Posts
Thanks for the update. Wow. They charged you for the procedure? Amazing. I know the economy is bad but this bad? This should have been covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. You might want to call Honda corp and complain.

$15 for winter TPMS re-program is a good deal so not sure if you want to complain for the $47 they charged you.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
then carefully clamping both the positive and negative cables together for an additional 30+ minutes, in order to discharge capacitors that make fault codes persistent.
Interesting. I remember doing that in the electronics lab with small capacitors for fun, but I'm not sure if I would do that to my car

·
Super Moderator
1,165 Posts
Back from the dealer. Diagnosis: "WENT INTO THE PCM AND CLEARED CODES FROM E DIFFERENT SYSTEMS AND NONE RETURNED. EVERYTHING WORKS GREAT." Labor cost was $47. The dealer threw in a winter tire exchange and TPMS read/program for $15. Spoke with the technician, who told me that these faults, in theory, should not happen with a battery discharge, but that they sometimes do. Also mentioned that, in order to clear the system, he recommended disconnecting both the positive and negative battery cables, waiting 30 minutes, then carefully clamping both the positive and negative cables together for an additional 30+ minutes, in order to discharge capacitors that make fault codes persistent.
The technician is referring to the battery cable reset procedure. Do a search for it. Also see the "Try a Battery Cable Reset" video in the Honda Tech2Tech: Videos for Service Technicians sticky thread.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does anyone know how to reset the VSA and ABS lights after dead battery? The first time this happened to me, I saw this post and went to the dealer because it was still under warranty. The dealer reset the lights and said they updated the firmware. They re-assured me that if my battery died again, then the VSA and ABS lights would not come on again. Well, they lied. My battery died again recently and when I jumped started the battery, the VSA and ABS lights are back on and the sliding doors have issues. I think the right sliding door will intermittently have a constant beeping noise. The only way to get rid of the beeping noise is to turn off the sliding doors switch on the driver side dash.

I want to avoid taking it back to dealer because it's not only inconvenient, but also because my Odyssey has passed the 36 month warranty. Please help!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Exactly the same happened to my 2011 Odyssey Touring last week. I unplugged the VSA fuse for 30 seconds while engine off and it cleared. No non-sense complicated procedure.

PS. I have 12 brothers/sisters. After disappointed with US made cars. I convinced all my family members and friends to buy Honda starting in the early '90s. We owned lots of Odyssey, CRV, Civic, Pilot, MDX. We all very satisfied until the last 5 years. I believe Honda lost it's quality. Our next purchase will be either US or Europe made. But, not sure yet.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Exactly the same happened to my 2011 Odyssey Touring last week. I unplugged the VSA fuse for 30 seconds while engine off and it cleared. No non-sense complicated procedure.

PS. I have 12 brothers/sisters. After disappointed with US made cars. I convinced all my family members and friends to buy Honda starting in the early '90s. We owned lots of Odyssey, CRV, Civic, Pilot, MDX. We all very satisfied until the last 5 years. I believe Honda lost it's quality. Our next purchase will be either US or Europe made. But, not sure yet.
So pulling the VSA fuse... Will it also clear the ABS and allow the rear doors to work with key in ignition? Let me know. I have the ODY at the dealership will also ask them as well. But want to know in case my battery dies again in the future.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Same thing currently wrong with my 2012 TE. Wife left the van on accessory while watching a dvd and killed the battery. Would like to know the best way to reset the VSA and ABS warning symbols.

·
Registered
2 Posts
vsa abs lights on

I looked at the fuse manual and there are VSA fuses in the secondary box under the hood (located in one long fuse "bar" thats screwed in) and one fuse in the interior drivers side. I pulled the driver's side fuse while the car was off, waited a min and replaced it....no change. I looked at the fuse "bar" under the hood, removed the screw but that bastard is in there good. I was afraid of breaking it. Looking to see if there is a recommended way to remove it....no luck yet. If this is the fuse you were referring to please let me know how you got it out. I see the clip you need to watch for as well as the screw on the other side.....but with those two things out of the way, its not budging but a tiny bit. I dont want to break the box.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I looked at the fuse manual and there are VSA fuses in the secondary box under the hood (located in one long fuse "bar" thats screwed in) and one fuse in the interior drivers side. I pulled the driver's side fuse while the car was off, waited a min and replaced it....no change. I looked at the fuse "bar" under the hood, removed the screw but that bastard is in there good. I was afraid of breaking it. Looking to see if there is a recommended way to remove it....no luck yet. If this is the fuse you were referring to please let me know how you got it out. I see the clip you need to watch for as well as the screw on the other side.....but with those two things out of the way, its not budging but a tiny bit. I dont want to break the box.

I was wondering this too. I couldn't get that long fuse out. I unscrewed it, but I couldn't pull it out.
it's in the box closer to the battery. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
it will come out you may have to use needle nose pliers or a screw driver. We pulled that fuse but it did nothing. Still not fixed. It is so annoying and don't want to go to the stealer.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have replaced the battery in my 2014 EXL twice without any issue that required a reset procedure. Each time the battery was removed for several hours before being replaced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2012 Touring Elite. Went for skiing in the mountains and left the lights on which caused the battery to discharge. Jump started the car and now VSA and ABS lights are always on. Sliding doors have stopped working too. I tried pulling out the fuse but it did not helped. Is taking to dealer and get it reset the only option?

My car's battery has been discharged before and I have jump-started them, but these lights never came ON earlier. Why would they come ON this time?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts