Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Try to reset the system by disconnecting the negative terminal for 10 minutes. Be sure you have the radio codes handy. Have you tried to press the door buttons on the driver console to open the sliding doors? Let me know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
@otto888man : Thanks for the tip. It seems the doors started working after disconnecting the negative terminal. But the VSA and ABS lights were still on. I took it to Honda dealership today morning and grudgingly agreed for 130 bucks diagnosis fees. After half an hour the mechanic came back and reported that battery has gone bad and therefore those lights came ON. They replaced the battery free of cost and also waived the diagnosis charge (I guess battery has a warranty of 5 years and my car was just around 3 year old and 30 K miles).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 2012 Odyssey EXL with same situation - light on drained the battery - now, I have VSA and ABS light on and also sliding door is not open/close while engine is on. I have tried all recommended solutions:
a. disconnect both battery cable
b. disconnect only negative cable
c. check the fuses - VSA - ABS - Sliding Door
d. remove the fuses and start up the car
But none has reset the lights. I guess I will go ahead and replace the battery and cross my finger it will solve the issue rather than paying $130 diagnostic fee to Honda dealer.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
@otto888man : Thanks for the tip. It seems the doors started working after disconnecting the negative terminal. But the VSA and ABS lights were still on. I took it to Honda dealership today morning and grudgingly agreed for 130 bucks diagnosis fees. After half an hour the mechanic came back and reported that battery has gone bad and therefore those lights came ON. They replaced the battery free of cost and also waived the diagnosis charge (I guess battery has a warranty of 5 years and my car was just around 3 year old and 30 K miles).
Thanks for posting back the fix! I'm glad that you have resolved the problem.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I have 2012 Odyssey EXL with same situation - light on drained the battery - now, I have VSA and ABS light on and also sliding door is not open/close while engine is on. I have tried all recommended solutions:
a. disconnect both battery cable
b. disconnect only negative cable
c. check the fuses - VSA - ABS - Sliding Door
d. remove the fuses and start up the car
But none has reset the lights. I guess I will go ahead and replace the battery and cross my finger it will solve the issue rather than paying $130 diagnostic fee to Honda dealer.
Has the battery been replaced before?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I tried the battery cable reset procedure. I watched the video that's posted here on the board but It did not work for me. VSA and ABS indicators are still on and my power sliding doors only work while the engine is off. Can someone please help without having to go to the dealer?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Paper Clip to Solve it

Hi There

Kindly refer to post
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/9-problems-concerns/40654-tcs-abs-lights-reset-2.html

This is mainly overcome by DTC reset procedure that starts by shorting pin 4 and 9 on OBDII connector under the dashboard.

My experience is summarized as follows:

Shorting 4 and 9 on OBDII connector (aka Data Link, or SCS) got me into the DTC troubleshooting mode.

My 2012 Touring Displayed "SCS service TPMS DTC32 DTC NO"... I tried many options with the brakes with no success. Mind me for not recalling the exact sequence.

However I tried other options while pressing the "select" button on the steering wheel; and viola VSA and ABS codes were cleared.. the power doors did not work initially. Took key off; restarted the car; and everything was fine.

Thanks for the hint; my wife suffered with the kids for nearly three months due to a dead battery...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problems with my 2013 Ody. The battery went dead. I replaced it but the VSA and ABS lights stayed on plus the sliding doors would not work with the van running.
I checked all of the fuses related to VSA, ABS, ECM, no issues, no help, no changes.
I did the battery disconnect, and the battery cable reset multiple times, no change.
Went to O'Riellys to use their ODB II tool. No Codes present. No change.
Called dealer, they said 79.99 to delete error codes that pop up after battery issues, said its a common problem.

Then..... Did the procedure described above.
Jumper pins 4 to 9 on ODB connection port with paperclip.
Held brakes as told, then turn ignition to pos II
Released brake, then pressed brake again, released brake.
Your Done
Remove jumper, start car, No More ABS VSA lights..... boom....

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had the same problem as everyone else - ABS and VSA lights (curvy road symbol) and the rear doors had problems opening. I followed this sequence from another thread:

"As posted earlier in this thread but not the easiest to understand for newbies such as myself....whats a SCS circuit!? Well through some research in other threads unrelated to my issue, the SCS circuit is the plug found under the dashboard of the drivers side where the dealer or mechanic plugs in to communicate to the car's computer. There are actual small numbers in the corners showing you that 1 starts in the lower right hand corner getting bigger moving left up to 8..then the upper row starts from 9 to 16. I used a small paper clip bending it to reach the 4th and 9th hole where they are bridged together.....

To reset
1. With the ignition switchOFF
2. Short the SCS circuit to body ground #4 and #9 pin using a paperclip
3. Press the brake pedal.
4. Turn the ignition switchON (II) while keeping the brake pedal pressed.
5. After the ABS indicator goes off, release the brake.
6. After the ABS indicator goes on, press the brake pedalagain.
7. After the ABS indicator goes off, release the brake again.
8. After a few seconds, the ABS indicator blinks twice and the DTC is cleared. If the ABS indicator stays on after it blinks twice, check the DTC, because a problem was detected during the initial diagnosis before shifting to DTC clearing mode.
9. Turn the ignition switchOFF.
10. Disconnect the paperclip from the DLC."

Worked perfectly. Took a few tries - the first two times the ABS light didn't change like it said it would, so I after waiting 30 sec-1 min I turned the car off and tried again. I don't have a Touring, just an EX. All it said on the MFD screen (the LCD on in front of the driver) was NO and continuous beep while I was going it. A bit nerve-racking but it worked fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
THIS WORKED; Same issue with dead battery and VSA/ABS lights and sliding door issues. Tried many different fixes and finally the above post from iaflyer worked. Also had to try it 3 or 4 times but had success. Only change i made was not grounding the SCS circuit or paperclip. Just jumpered from pin #4 to #9. Many thanks to those who posted before me.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
THIS WORKED; Same issue with dead battery and VSA/ABS lights and sliding door issues. Tried many different fixes and finally the above post from iaflyer worked. Also had to try it 3 or 4 times but had success. Only change i made was not grounding the SCS circuit or paperclip. Just jumpered from pin #4 to #9. Many thanks to those who posted before me.
Thanks for posting the fix!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine is not exactly the fully dead battery problem.
My 2013 Ody(had less than 10K miles on it) started giving troubles to start. No other battery powered functionality got interrupted so far. I am using my powerbank to crank it up to use it. Here is my list of questions.
1) What make and model battery to buy?: Checked with the local dealer, charging me $160+ labor for normal warranty Honda battery and $225 for lifetime warranty(as long as I own the car). Contacted Costco, they are not carrying the Ody batteries (now the costco is carrying only Interstate batteries). So, searched online its MT7-34R of interstate model. What battery should I go for (I am planning to replace it by myself).
2) Why does my OEM battery died so early. Just few months after the original Honda warranty on battery(36 months) exceeded? I guess its too early for an OEM to die on 10K miles run/3 years usage.
3) While I am replacing my battery, I plan on connecting it with the external powerbank so that the codes doesnt get reset. Is it advisable ?
Please advice good store to buy good brand and cost effective battery to replace it by myself.
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problem as everyone else - ABS and VSA lights (curvy road symbol) and the rear doors had problems opening. I followed this sequence from another thread:

"As posted earlier in this thread but not the easiest to understand for newbies such as myself....whats a SCS circuit!? Well through some research in other threads unrelated to my issue, the SCS circuit is the plug found under the dashboard of the drivers side where the dealer or mechanic plugs in to communicate to the car's computer. There are actual small numbers in the corners showing you that 1 starts in the lower right hand corner getting bigger moving left up to 8..then the upper row starts from 9 to 16. I used a small paper clip bending it to reach the 4th and 9th hole where they are bridged together.....

To reset
1. With the ignition switchOFF
2. Short the SCS circuit to body ground #4 and #9 pin using a paperclip
3. Press the brake pedal.
4. Turn the ignition switchON (II) while keeping the brake pedal pressed.
5. After the ABS indicator goes off, release the brake.
6. After the ABS indicator goes on, press the brake pedalagain.
7. After the ABS indicator goes off, release the brake again.
8. After a few seconds, the ABS indicator blinks twice and the DTC is cleared. If the ABS indicator stays on after it blinks twice, check the DTC, because a problem was detected during the initial diagnosis before shifting to DTC clearing mode.
9. Turn the ignition switchOFF.
10. Disconnect the paperclip from the DLC."

Worked perfectly. Took a few tries - the first two times the ABS light didn't change like it said it would, so I after waiting 30 sec-1 min I turned the car off and tried again. I don't have a Touring, just an EX. All it said on the MFD screen (the LCD on in front of the driver) was NO and continuous beep while I was going it. A bit nerve-racking but it worked fine.

Thanks for the information. Your instructions were proper. Other people that post give incorrect information.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problems with my 2013 Ody. The battery went dead. I replaced it but the VSA and ABS lights stayed on plus the sliding doors would not work with the van running.
I checked all of the fuses related to VSA, ABS, ECM, no issues, no help, no changes.
I did the battery disconnect, and the battery cable reset multiple times, no change.
Went to O'Riellys to use their ODB II tool. No Codes present. No change.
Called dealer, they said 79.99 to delete error codes that pop up after battery issues, said its a common problem.

Then..... Did the procedure described above.
Jumper pins 4 to 9 on ODB connection port with paperclip.
Held brakes as told, then turn ignition to pos II
Released brake, then pressed brake again, released brake.
Your Done
Remove jumper, start car, No More ABS VSA lights..... boom....
This didn't work. You didn't post complete instructions. This post should be deleted. It's giving bad information along with others.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi...

thanks for posting such detailed instructions...and enhancing with newbie information....

I am exactly like in your situation ....after jump start...vsa/abs lights on and power doors not working... (and a newbie as well)... have a quick question about your Instruction- 2. Short the SCS circuit to body ground #4 and #9 pin using a paperclip

you mentioned that you I used a small paper clip bending it to reach the 4th and 9th hole where they are bridged together

does that mean you used ONE paper clip and bended it such that one end was in pin#4 and the other end in pin#9?

Thanks for your help and time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi All,

I have the same issues described. Further, once or twice a year the electrical system "resets" and we loose our radio station programming and seat memory positions. I say "resets" because the radio/seats work but, the presets are back to factory settings for those two particular systems.

I now leave my battery on a trickler charger overnight before long trips and on the occasional weekend. No more issues, I will be replacing my battery soon. Only 3 yrs old...

Cheers

·
Registered
61 Posts
What is the best battery for our vans? Is it good to get a slightly oversized battery with the understanding it needs to fit and have the same terminal layout? I've read that the batteries on our vans are barely acceptable for all the extra accessories and whatnot they have. I searched for a good thread on this and found nothing, any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Joe O

There seems to be some conflicting info on line about solving the problem related to the constant VSA and ABS warning lights, varying from the "secret procedure to reset the battery monitoring circuit" to replacing the VSA unit. Let me share my experience with a 2013 Honda Odyssey. Battery went dead at a friends house, put it on a charger for a short while but had to jump start. After starting, the VSA and ABS lights were constantly illuminated and the sliding doors would not operate while the engine was running. After some frustration, I went to Advance Auto and they pulled up two codes under the ABS category. (My first trip to Advance Auto was unsuccessful because, I think, the employee was looking for codes/info related to some other category of malfunction. The point is that Codes must be searched under the ABS category.) One code referenced an ABS malfunction and the other referenced a Battery malfunction. The employee at Advance Auto did not want to clear the codes because of a message being displayed on the equipment to the effect that a reset would cause a recalibration of the ABS control unit. He let me borrow the unit and I took it home. I was able to easily clear the codes at home. The unit was an Actron 9670. In order to clear the codes the unit requires the operator to confirm that the car is on level grade, foot off brake and steering wheel in straight position. The procedure was simple and performed at no cost and no trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Worked for me

Same situation and symptoms: drained battery, ABS and VSA lights on, power doors not working when van on... followed procedure (short the pins, ignition and brake press combo), worked perfectly. thanks for the great advice

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same situation and symptoms: drained battery, ABS and VSA lights on, power doors not working when van on... followed procedure (short the pins, ignition and brake press combo), worked perfectly. thanks for the great advice
what do ya'll mean when you say to "short the pins"? i assume its placing one side of paper clip into #4 and the other side into #9...is this correct? we got new battery and same thing happening, sliding doors don't open with van on and VSA and ABS lights on.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts