Honda Odyssey Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
The point is that Codes must be searched under the ABS category.) One code referenced an ABS malfunction and the other referenced a Battery malfunction... I was able to easily clear the codes at home. The unit was an Actron 9670.
This was the money info for me. I didn't realize that my code reader didn't just automatically tell me all the codes from every category.

I had to press the ABS button on my code reader; from there I was able to see both the ABS system malfunction error message as well as the low battery message. While in that same area, I simply pressed the red Erase button on my code reader and, a few seconds later, the ody's instrument panel beeped and the ABS indicator blinked.

I then started the ody, and yay! I can now operate the sliding side doors with the engine running!

My code reader is an Innova 3040c. I purchased it at Autozone or O'Reilly -- can't recall as it was a while back.

My ody is a 2013 TE.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
This WORKS :)

I had the same problem as everyone else - ABS and VSA lights (curvy road symbol) and the rear doors had problems opening. I followed this sequence from another thread:

"As posted earlier in this thread but not the easiest to understand for newbies such as myself....whats a SCS circuit!? Well through some research in other threads unrelated to my issue, the SCS circuit is the plug found under the dashboard of the drivers side where the dealer or mechanic plugs in to communicate to the car's computer. There are actual small numbers in the corners showing you that 1 starts in the lower right hand corner getting bigger moving left up to 8..then the upper row starts from 9 to 16. I used a small paper clip bending it to reach the 4th and 9th hole where they are bridged together.....

To reset
1. With the ignition switchOFF
2. Short the SCS circuit to body ground #4 and #9 pin using a paperclip
3. Press the brake pedal.
4. Turn the ignition switchON (II) while keeping the brake pedal pressed.
5. After the ABS indicator goes off, release the brake.
6. After the ABS indicator goes on, press the brake pedalagain.
7. After the ABS indicator goes off, release the brake again.
8. After a few seconds, the ABS indicator blinks twice and the DTC is cleared. If the ABS indicator stays on after it blinks twice, check the DTC, because a problem was detected during the initial diagnosis before shifting to DTC clearing mode.
9. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
10. Disconnect the paperclip from the DLC."

Worked perfectly. Took a few tries - the first two times the ABS light didn't change like it said it would, so I after waiting 30 sec-1 min I turned the car off and tried again. I don't have a Touring, just an EX. All it said on the MFD screen (the LCD on in front of the driver) was NO and continuous beep while I was going it. A bit nerve-racking but it worked fine.

Worked perfectly!! Thank you for posting!!!
Mine is a 2012 EX.
Just a couple of additional comments, to make this easy, as I'm sure we are all a bit apprehensive about jumpering things with a paperclip :).

2. Short the SCS circuit to body ground #4 and #9 pin using a paperclip. I did not ground to body, just jumpered 4 & 9.
5. After the ABS indicator goes off, release the brake. Release the brake immediately. First I waited a few seconds before releasing it (as I was reading the instructions), and it didn't work
8. After a few seconds, the ABS indicator blinks twice and the DTC is cleared. If the ABS indicator stays on after it blinks twice, check the DTC, because a problem was detected during the initial diagnosis before shifting to DTC clearing mode.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK.... I have SAME issue on 2015 Odyssey.

Got it fixed by dealer under warranty.

NOW... with this same thing happen when I remove battery to replace it in the normal course of events?

Thanks,

Dave In Wisconsin

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
The technician is referring to the battery cable reset procedure. Do a search for it. Also see the "Try a Battery Cable Reset" video in the Honda Tech2Tech: Videos for Service Technicians sticky thread.
I left my ignition on after doing a download on my radar detector. I got a "check VSA system" & "Check Emission System" flashing. I disconnected the cables for a half hour and then ran a jumper wire connecting the positive and negative cable (they are two short to bring together to touch) and went to see a movie with the battery charger doing it's job. Came home and reconnected the cables and no more flashing lights!!! I did have to input the radio code numbers which unlocked the radio and Nav system. All's well!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Worked perfectly!! Thank you for posting!!!
Mine is a 2012 EX.
Just a couple of additional comments, to make this easy, as I'm sure we are all a bit apprehensive about jumpering things with a paperclip :).

2. Short the SCS circuit to body ground #4 and #9 pin using a paperclip. I did not ground to body, just jumpered 4 & 9.
5. After the ABS indicator goes off, release the brake. Release the brake immediately. First I waited a few seconds before releasing it (as I was reading the instructions), and it didn't work

Thanks again!!
HI,
Can you perform this procedure with a 2015 odyssey EX with the push button ignition switch? I am having the same issues with the ABS, VSA lights remaining on, and also the power sliding doors will not operate, after the van wouldn't start due to corrosion on the positive battery terminal. I cleaned the terminals, reattached them and now am having the issues mentioned above.
2015 odyssey ex
78000 miles

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI,
Can you perform this procedure with a 2015 odyssey EX with the push button ignition switch? I am having the same issues with the ABS, VSA lights remaining on, and also the power sliding doors will not operate, after the van wouldn't start due to corrosion on the positive battery terminal. I cleaned the terminals, reattached them and now am having the issues mentioned above.
2015 odyssey ex
78000 miles
I tried this procedure and it worked fine on my 2015 odyssey EX. I placed the paper clip into pins 4 and 9, and pressed the brake and pushed the ignition start button once. Instead of the engine starting, it went into a diagnostic mode and the display above the speedometer flashing NO. I didn't take no for an answer and forged ahead with the instructions as they were listed in the above post. (pressing and releasing the brake in response to the ABS light.) The only thing that seemed different was that the ABS light flashed 3 times after the ABS light went off the 2nd time. Thanks a million for all the posts, they really helped me out! I installed a new battery because the old one has four years on it and I didn't want any more corrosion problems, and I believe the help I received here more than paid for my new AGM battery!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Many thanks for posting such a brilliant solution. It totally worked on my 2011 EX. If you need to see more visual instructions, I found the following link very useful.

https://myquantumdiscovery.com/honda-abs-vsa-dash-lights-stay-on-easy-fault-reset-procedure

Btw, the sliding doors issue will resolve itself after you took the van for a spin.

Cheers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the ABS and VSA warining messages after jump starting the car. The shorting of the pins 4 did not work for me. I didn't get the same ABS warning, but a text message relating to TPMS.

Could try the battery disconnect but I don't have the radio code handy.

Any ideas? Code reader Acton 9660 at Advance Auto didn't detect any codes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Joe O

There seems to be some conflicting info on line about solving the problem related to the constant VSA and ABS warning lights, varying from the "secret procedure to reset the battery monitoring circuit" to replacing the VSA unit. Let me share my experience with a 2013 Honda Odyssey. Battery went dead at a friends house, put it on a charger for a short while but had to jump start. After starting, the VSA and ABS lights were constantly illuminated and the sliding doors would not operate while the engine was running. After some frustration, I went to Advance Auto and they pulled up two codes under the ABS category. (My first trip to Advance Auto was unsuccessful because, I think, the employee was looking for codes/info related to some other category of malfunction. The point is that Codes must be searched under the ABS category.) One code referenced an ABS malfunction and the other referenced a Battery malfunction. The employee at Advance Auto did not want to clear the codes because of a message being displayed on the equipment to the effect that a reset would cause a recalibration of the ABS control unit. He let me borrow the unit and I took it home. I was able to easily clear the codes at home. The unit was an Actron 9670. In order to clear the codes the unit requires the operator to confirm that the car is on level grade, foot off brake and steering wheel in straight position. The procedure was simple and performed at no cost and no trip to the dealer.
This worked!!! Thank you. Took my 2011 Odyssey to O'Reilly. They wouldn't clear the codes, but when I got them cleared, everything works again. Thank you! Save me $80 at the dealer.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts