Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I just recently took delivery of my 2011 Touring Elite Ody (Smokey Topaz if you're wondering), which replaced my 2003 EX-L Ody (Sagebrush Pearl for the curious there :)). So far, I am loving it - in fact, my husband is jealous which kind of cracks me up. There is ONE thing I can not figure out so maybe you can help me.

I have kids riding in back. I want to be able to adjust the airflow through the vents that blow on them back there. I'm sure that in the old car, with the HVAC on "full auto," we were able to make this adjustment, because it's been a long-standing problem for one of my kids - she specifically needs to have a lot of air blowing on her face or she starts feeling nauseated.

I see in the owner's manual it says:

REAR A/C Controls
To control the rear A/C, press the REAR ON/OFF button.

That is my first problem right there. There is no "REAR ON/OFF button" on the front panel. So do I correctly understand that in order to do any controlling, I first have to move from the driver's seat to the 2nd row passenger area to press the REAR ON/OFF button located there, or have one of my kids get out of the back row and come forward and do it? Just want to clarify that. Moving on, after that in the owner's manual it says:

You can adjust the temperature, the mode, the fan speed, and airflow of the rear passenger compartment on the front control panel.

It does not, however, say specifically what buttons or combination of buttons on the front control panel are used to control these settings for the rear compartment. When I press the fan control buttons on my front control panel, it changes the output of the fan in the front compartment, which is not what I want to do. So, I am pretty confused here.

Basically, I have the front set the way I want - automatic control on, don't want to make any changes. I want to be able to get into the car, turn it on, and then adjust the rear fan strength depending on whether my daughter is in back or not, or if she is feeling more or less carsick. I also want to make sure that the kids can't make changes to that themselves, because my other two kids will definitely try to override any settings I make for the one affected daughter, because it bugs them when I do this for her.

Can anyone please advise me? The salesperson when I bought the car couldn't figure it out and I haven't had a chance to swing by the service place at my local dealership (which is not where I bought the car in any case so they might not be hugely thrilled about me asking for a tutorial on this).

Thanks very much for any information!

-Hillary

·
Registered
112 Posts
There is no REAR ON/OFF switch anymore and not sure why . You can turn the rear AC on by turning everything on or by adjusting the temperature for the rear on the front control panel(go to page 225 in your owners manual and it will give you a diagram where these controls are).

You can adjust the temp, mode, and fan speed from the front panel by pressing the sync button and then pressing the fan speed to your desired setting and using the rear temp controls. By pressing SYNC again to turn it off, you can then adjust the front settings back to the way you want it. Thats the only way to do it outside of using the rear controls in the 2nd row. I believe we got something from Honda when they were 1st released saying it was mistake and it doesnt have the REAR ON/OFF button and to let customer know. Hope this helps

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no REAR ON/OFF switch anymore and not sure why . You can turn the rear AC on by turning everything on or by adjusting the temperature for the rear on the front control panel(go to page 225 in your owners manual and it will give you a diagram where these controls are).
I knew there was no REAR ON/OFF switch - the diagrams in my manual show a REAR ON/OFF switch ONLY on the LX models, not on any other model. That's weird but whatever.

You can adjust the temp, mode, and fan speed from the front panel by pressing the sync button and then pressing the fan speed to your desired setting and using the rear temp controls. By pressing SYNC again to turn it off, you can then adjust the front settings back to the way you want it. Thats the only way to do it outside of using the rear controls in the 2nd row. I believe we got something from Honda when they were 1st released saying it was mistake and it doesnt have the REAR ON/OFF button and to let customer know. Hope this helps
OK, first, thank you so much for trying to help!! I very much appreciate it. Now, let me see if I understand... when I turn the car on and everything (*except* the rear fan strength) is the way that I want it, I should press SYNC, increase the fan strength (which will increase the fan strength everywhere, which I do not want but may learn to live with), press SYNC again, then decrease the front fan strength using the regular controls? That's what you're recommending?

Assuming I am understanding, will that prevent the automatic climate control from working? In my old Ody, even when I adjusted the fan strength in back, my control panel would still read "Full Auto," which I understand has been replaced by just "Auto" in this model. But in this model I thought that making any changes to the front once Automatic had been set would override the automatic settings, but I may be very confused about that. This is SO not my thing, I am totally bummed they changed how this works because I had it down pat in my old car but it took me a long time to get there and now I have to start over!!

Thanks again,
Hillary

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think you have the gist of what was suggested as a workaround.

I would suggest you modify the procedure you wrote slightly.

1. Enable Sync before you wish to adjust the rear controls.
2. Adjust the controls as if you were adjusting the rear controls.
3. Disable Sync.
4. Enable Auto mode, or adjust the controls for the front.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Gee, I think I'm glad I only have an '06 exl.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You note that you have a Touring Elite. I just realized with Nav you get voice control, so on my way to work today I was able to voice control the rear climate control directly without changing the front settings. This may work a little better for your situation. Specifically, without changing anything, you could press the Talk button and say "rear fan speed high," and that's it. See page 160-161 of the Navigation Manual for more climate control voice commands.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great post Hasenpfeffer! I must learn more of the voice commands :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
2011 Touring Elite HVAC question / voice command

Hi There --
Well, in case you haven't read about all the voice commands, my favorite one is "rear climate control off". -- About half the time there are people in the back and the other half of the time it's just me.
My big question to this thread is: "Is there really no button to turn rear climate control off from the front panel?"(!) .... I can't find it, and I believe it's not there but... at the same time I'm in utter disbelief that I can't turn the rear climate control off from the front.

I traded my 2009 Odyssey Touring (with PAX tires, which was the reason I got rid of it...) ... and I wasn't aware of all the nuances of the 2011 Odyssey that I don't like, now that I have it.

#1 on the list of things I don't like is the fact that I cannot turn *rear* A/C off from the front panel, and I really can't control fan speed either.
»» As a result, my two most used voice commands are "rear climate control off", and "rear fan speed #" (i.e., rear fan speed 3).

I get tired and borderline embarrassed that I have to change the fan speed by voice command. It can strike some people as cool, but to me it's just an annoyance.

I believe the only reason Honda moved the control panel for the rear compartment to the passenger's side of the vehicle was probably for liability: someone probably sued them because they were adjusting the vent speed or whatever from the back controls while driving. Wait til they get a lawsuit from someone who is driving who is now trying to reach across the cabin and do the same thing. It's really ridiculous.

There, my rant is over for the moment.
So my big question: "Is there really no button to turn rear climate control off from the front panel?"

I'd love to hear if anyone has come up with a solution.
Cheers,
-T

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
So my big question: "Is there really no button to turn rear climate control off from the front panel?"
You don't have PAX anymore? I heard great things about it :stupid:

But anyway, I suggest to not spend too much time reading about the "voice commands" or typing rants, just spend some more time reading the basic owner's manual or searching the forums, it can help ;)

Page 228 (2011 MY OM):

"To turn the rear system completely
off, press the ON/OFF button on the
rear control panel or press and hold
the REAR LOCK button on the front
control panel for more than 2
seconds."

·
Registered
3 Posts
turning rear climate control off on 2011 odyssey

But anyway, I suggest to not spend too much time reading about the "voice commands" or typing rants, just spend some more time reading the basic owner's manual or searching the forums, it can help ;)

Page 228 (2011 MY OM):

"To turn the rear system completely
off, press the ON/OFF button on the
rear control panel or press and hold
the REAR LOCK button on the front
control panel for more than 2
seconds."
Phew. Oh, the rant was fun. But if you really didn't like it I can edit my post. : )
hehe....

Kudos to you, and... I was too tired, sorry to say. I thought I had looked through the manual but apparently I didn't get to page 228. : P

Thanks very much for the reply and that will make me very happy.
Such a silly thing but see how happy you've made me!!!
:) :) :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
pax... sidebar comment

Without it being a rant, I will say that I liked the 2009 much better.
It could be that it was a Touring version versus the EX-L, but I would say the 2009 overall build quality and feel of the vehicle was much superior to this 2011. I liked the touchscreen controls for navigation much better and .. well, just everything.

It was to get rid of PAX and I really wish I had just swapped out to a non-honda non-pax system. But, what's done is done.

It's forums like these that allow us to cry in our soup, right. :)
Or, should I just say... my soup. :( hehee....

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
One think I wanted to do but didn't work with the enable / disable sync method was to have the rear blow at face and feet, but front only blow at the face.

Anyone know?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts