Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had to go out of town and my oil indicator was down to 20%. Instead of traveling several thousand miles on nearly depleted oil I decided to change it at the last minute. 5.3 qts of 0W-20 Castrol synthetic with some type of teflon. It was not my first choice but the only one available at the time. Used a standard FRAM oil filter. Yeah don't jump on me about the Fram's. Used them for years and they work well.

Anyway I have a oil suction tank that can pull the oil through the dip stick tube. I thought I would give it a try on the Odyssey. It worked reasonably well but still left about a pint of oil in the pan. I pulled the plug to find out just how much was still left in the motor for future reference. In the future I'll probably pull the drain plug on this vehicle. My son uses the suction device on his diesel so that is really the use for the thing.

Why does Honda insist to still have the same oil filter location yet put no baffle in place to help direct the oil filter drain oil off the frame rail? I used a folded paper to help direct the oil into the pan. Even an old Dodge truck I used to drive was good enough to have a plastic baffle for the oil filter. Seeing this is a multi-generation motor this should have been done long ago.

Anyway nothing specific with the oil change other than the above. Is anyone using the built in calendar function in the Tourings to keep a record of the oil changes? I started using it this way as it's sudo useful for something like that! I really don't use the calendar for any real planning.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Why does Honda insist to still have the same oil filter location yet put no baffle in place to help direct the oil filter drain oil off the frame rail? I used a folded paper to help direct the oil into the pan. Even an old Dodge truck I used to drive was good enough to have a plastic baffle for the oil filter. Seeing this is a multi-generation motor this should have been done long ago.
Couldn't agree more. We have the Ody, Accord, and BMW E46. Changing oil for the bimmer is super easy with the filter housing easily accessible from the engine bay. No mess whatsoever.

I would pay up to $1K without thinking twice for a factory option to have the filter housing up there.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I read this and shouted "Amen!" I think they get away with it because so few people change their own old these days.

My 2003 Acura TL-S is exactly the same way. For the TL-S, I found a rectangular funnel that I can fit under the filter above the frame rail and I can still spin the filter off. This has worked and I'm hoping it will work for my new '12 EX-L Odyssey. If not, I'll have to make something up because I HATE cleaning up used oil off the chassis....it is such a magnet for dirt.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I don't think Honda is going to change the location of the oil filter anytime soon.

I never noticed a problem with the filter location but they may be due to the equipment I use to change the oil.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice. I like your epoxy floors but I changed to the diamond tread pattern floor instead. I like it a lot better as I was painting my floor every couple years to make it look nice. This floor I just damp mop it when it gets grungy looking.

Besides your floor is to clean. You can't possibly do any "real work" in there! lol lol
Actually I'm admiring it as I truly enjoy clean garages and work areas.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nice. I like your epoxy floors but I changed to the diamond tread pattern floor instead. I like it a lot better as I was painting my floor every couple years to make it look nice. This floor I just damp mop it when it gets grungy looking.

Besides your floor is to clean. You can't possibly do any "real work" in there! lol lol
Actually I'm admiring it as I truly enjoy clean garages and work areas.
You are right. There is not a lot of work done in their, mostly just regular maintenance. It is sure nice having the vehicle in the air for changing fluids, brakes, and tires and not having to crawl around on the floor.

The floor has held up quite well so far. It is 3 1/2 years old and no signs of aging yet.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I am so jealous! Nice lift and garage! I use a fumoto valve on the odyssey so i can actually change the oil with no tools and i do not need to jack up the vehicle. Location of the oil plug is ideal and also i was able to put the valve in with the opening lever up so it is tucked out of the way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't think Honda is going to change the location of the oil filter anytime soon.

I never noticed a problem with the filter location but they may be due to the equipment I use to change the oil.

I wish i have the same garage sweet:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Couldn't agree more. We have the Ody, Accord, and BMW E46. Changing oil for the bimmer is super easy with the filter housing easily accessible from the engine bay. No mess whatsoever.

I would pay up to $1K without thinking twice for a factory option to have the filter housing up there.
Relocate your oil filter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts