Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. A/C comes on whenever it wants to - not checked by dealer yet, no time - seems to be a common complaint.
2. Steering wheel crooked - fixed by dealer after third shot...had to set wheel off the other way and then re-do the alignment, it's bang on now.
3. Headphones buzzing on RES - replaced one set of headphones and put a new battey in the other - warranty
4. Door gasket ripped on sliding door - ordered warranty
5. Navi system blacks out - part ordered warranty
6. Wiper recall - done
7. Front bumper fit and finish - to be fixed when we take it back for the navi system module - will take them two days? warranty
8. TPMS light on - solved, second time, warranty
9. Creaking struts - ran out of time will fix along with #5 and #7
10. Bad vibration upon braking - machined (yechh:mad:) rotots - delaer will not replace them at this time, machined under warranty, seems better for now

All in all, this is an excellent vehicle, it gets amazing mpg on the highway, is smooth and quiet and handles like my Accord! Aside from these small annoyances, we are pretty happy with it... now if only the dead pedal was further forward and Honda would offer some HFP kit for this van, I'd be in heaven!

·
Registered
14 Posts
The creaking struts bugs the crap out of me.

I have been notorious for warping rotors in the past. So from the day I picked up my van I have never had a hard sustained braking episode. But guess what?? Yep they're warped. I know that it was not due to abuse so I'm a bit peeved.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The creaking struts bugs the crap out of me.

I have been notorious for warping rotors in the past. So from the day I picked up my van I have never had a hard sustained braking episode. But guess what?? Yep they're warped. I know that it was not due to abuse so I'm a bit peeved.

I gave up on my 05 Accord and opted for ATE premium rotors...no warp, end of story. I'll complain till the warranty is up, every time they warp, cause' you can't machine out a warp, no matter what they tell you!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not sure if this is normal or not. But as I drive my new Ody, after accelerating on the gas pedal the engine seems to have a strong slow down to it as I release the gas pedal. Instead of coasting at that similar speed that I just accelerated up to, there is an distinct drop in power, feeling almost like a slight braking mechanism within the engine(it's definitely slowing down and my wife notices it too). Is this normal? Is this some type of 'fuel efficiency' setting within the engine? Typically the stupid 'eco' light comes on immediately after this. Does anyone else experience a similar phenomena with their Ody?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not sure if this is normal or not. But as I drive my new Ody, after accelerating on the gas pedal the engine seems to have a strong slow down to it as I release the gas pedal. Instead of coasting at that similar speed that I just accelerated up to, there is an distinct drop in power, feeling almost like a slight braking mechanism within the engine(it's definitely slowing down and my wife notices it too). Is this normal? Is this some type of 'fuel efficiency' setting within the engine? Typically the stupid 'eco' light comes on immediately after this. Does anyone else experience a similar phenomena with their Ody?
That is the engine changing from 6 cylinders down to 3 or 4. I agree with you the first couple thousand miles I felt like I hade an exhaust brake.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
That is the engine changing from 6 cylinders down to 3 or 4. I agree with you the first couple thousand miles I felt like I hade an exhaust brake.
that's really strange, to me, the VCM is pretty seamless, only a few times in teh 35mph range, it's trying to run on 3 or 4 cylinders and well it's sputtering along, but other than that it's prefectly fine.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I gave up on my 05 Accord and opted for ATE premium rotors...no warp, end of story. I'll complain till the warranty is up, every time they warp, cause' you can't machine out a warp, no matter what they tell you!
Yes you can successfully re-cut (Machine) a warped rotor at least once depending on the severity of the warpage (out of round) Also depends on the mechanics skill. I've had this done plenty of times over the years and worked great. If it warps again down the road then usually need a new rotor. It's far cheaper than buying aftermarket rotors.

·
Registered
427 Posts
This could the VCM (cylinder management) or also could be the Grade Logic Control on Honda automatic transmissions, "downshifts when appropriate for added engine braking"

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes you can successfully re-cut (Machine) a warped rotor at least once depending on the severity of the warpage (out of round) Also depends on the mechanics skill. I've had this done plenty of times over the years and worked great. If it warps again down the road then usually need a new rotor. It's far cheaper than buying aftermarket rotors.

I respectfully disagree...i too have had shops tell me that they can machine out a warp and it ALWAYS comes back...think about it, you are taking a warped piece of metal (that probably warped from repeated heat/cold), making it thinner, exposing it to that same heat and cold that warped it in the first place and then not expecting the warp to return...IMHO, it doesn't work

·
Registered
95 Posts
On a recent road trip I noticed some brake shudder as I was applying the brakes on a long long downhill section. I made the same trip a month before and nothing was noticeable. I am now wondering what will happen on some of the local hills....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Navi module and some other parts are in... will be taking it in next week and keep everyone posted.'

we have 18,500k (km) at this point.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Rich,

How was TPMS light on - solved, second time, warranty? Why did it take 2 times? What was the solution. Thanks

I really don't know. The dealership I was using was incompetent to say the least. I switched to a bigger dealership with a much bigger and better equipped shop and they have been taking care of all my issues without fail.

I'll say this, all dealers are NOT created equal.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update!!!

1. A/C comes on whenever it wants to - not checked by dealer yet, no time - seems to be a common complaint.
2. Steering wheel crooked - fixed by dealer after third shot...had to set wheel off the other way and then re-do the alignment, it's bang on now.
3. Headphones buzzing on RES - replaced one set of headphones and put a new battey in the other - warranty
4. Door gasket ripped on sliding door - ordered warranty
5. Navi system blacks out - part ordered warranty
6. Wiper recall - done
7. Front bumper fit and finish - to be fixed when we take it back for the navi system module - will take them two days? warranty
8. TPMS light on - solved, second time, warranty
9. Creaking struts - ran out of time will fix along with #5 and #7
10. Bad vibration upon braking - machined (yechh:mad:) rotots - delaer will not replace them at this time, machined under warranty, seems better for now

All in all, this is an excellent vehicle, it gets amazing mpg on the highway, is smooth and quiet and handles like my Accord! Aside from these small annoyances, we are pretty happy with it... now if only the dead pedal was further forward and Honda would offer some HFP kit for this van, I'd be in heaven!
1. A/C still comes on whenever it feels like it... no solution yet. Believe this is a software glitch in that the humidity sensor activates the AC regardless of the display or setting.

2. fixed
3. fixed
4. Replaced
5. Replaced (remanufactured unit.. but seems to have solved the probelm)
6. Actually was not originally done, done now
7. Still not enough time - taking it back next week for an overnight visit
8. Fixed
9. Fixed, with some very expensive grease
10. Warp has not yet come back

New issues....discovered that the auto-tilt side mirrors (in reverse) only tilt the one that the adjust switch is set to... put the switch in the middle and no tilting mirrors! This is more of a minor annoyance than anything

B2 service done...no problems

That's all for now. I'll post some before and after pics of the front bumper repair when its all done.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I respectfully disagree...i too have had shops tell me that they can machine out a warp and it ALWAYS comes back...think about it, you are taking a warped piece of metal (that probably warped from repeated heat/cold), making it thinner, exposing it to that same heat and cold that warped it in the first place and then not expecting the warp to return...IMHO, it doesn't work
You can disagree all you want. I've machined warped rotors and gotten years of good service life from them. Sure if you repeat the same cycle that originally warped the rotors they will likely do it again. Overheating the brakes or running around with one foot on the brake and one on the gas will do it easily! Mine originally occurred from a high speed panic stop and heat soak.

BTW - The tilting mirrors are designed that way. Why call it a problem?

·
Registered
118 Posts
You can disagree all you want. I've machined warped rotors and gotten years of good service life from them. Sure if you repeat the same cycle that originally warped the rotors they will likely do it again. Overheating the brakes or running around with one foot on the brake and one on the gas will do it easily! Mine originally occurred from a high speed panic stop and heat soak.

I have to side with richpor on this one. If a rotor warped once it is more likely to warp again after material is removed and the rotor is thinner.

You should not be able to overheat the brakes in normal driving unless you are going down a mountain with the brakes on the whole time and even then it should not happen. A panic stop or several should not be enough to cause this problem. I have personal experience with full on stops from 135 mph with stock rotors without a problem on one of my other vehicles. This process is repeated lap after lap without warping the rotors and there is far more heat generated on the track than could ever be duplicated on the street.

If a rotor warps there is a problem with it or the vehicle. I would never have a rotor machined. The time it takes to remove it and have it machined is the same as replacing it. If the stock rotors warp it is time to buy a different brand.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm dropping off our van tomorrow at the dealership for annual state inspection and also items 5, 6, and 9 on your list.

One other issues we have is that the satellite antenna cap on top of the roof is loose and I easily pull up on it and see the connection underneath. Luckily no water is leaking in but hopefully they can tighten up the antenna cap.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

It's nnot really a problem, more of a general gripe... why not have both the mirrors tilt like they do on most other cars?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm dropping off our van tomorrow at the dealership for annual state inspection and also items 5, 6, and 9 on your list.

One other issues we have is that the satellite antenna cap on top of the roof is loose and I easily pull up on it and see the connection underneath. Luckily no water is leaking in but hopefully they can tighten up the antenna cap.

Do post the results of your trip!:cool:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Do post the results of your trip!:cool:
Dropped it off Thursday, got it back today. I don't hear the front strut noise anymore so I guess the grease repair works (for now). They had to order a new Navi screen which they got in Friday. My loose satellite antenna turned out to be a loose nut and they had to drop the rear headliner in order to retighten it. They even washed the van for me. and I had a free loaner car (a Civic) the whole time as well, so all said - a good experience.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts