Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone traded in a 2011 Odyssey? I am thinking about trading in my 2011 EX-L for a certified used 3rd generation model. I know I will take a hit on the money, but I want to get something I can pay off in 2 to 3 years instead of 5. It will help my peace of mind.

KBB.com doesn't even have a used car value for this vehicle yet! Any guesses what I might get for one still in mint condition with less than 1,000 miles?

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
I would think you'd be better of selling it private party v/s trading it in with such few miles. The stealer had shaved off $5K off my Maxima when they offered to buy it back within 6 months when it had only 3K miles. Honda dealer offered 4K less for a 8 month old Accord with sub 5K miles back in the day so you do the math.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think you are better off staying with the 2011. I looked at buying a third generation first but the used prices were so high. 2010 EX models were the same price as a new 2011 EX model and the 2010 had 10k miles. I had to go back to 2008 models before I saw significant savings but then the cars had many miles on it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Have you also factored in maintenance and resale value? The 2011 will have a lower cost to maintain in 5 years than a used Odyssey that may need timing belts and other major services. Also the 2011 will have a higher resale value. Also your fuel economy for the 2011 is slightly better so I don't know how much sense it makes financially but as long as you consider all the hidden costs, go with what you need to do.

·
Registered
632 Posts
If a 3rd Gen can make you get fully paid faster then you'll be off the hook of monthly payments after 24-36 months. You just got to worry of maintainance which will be significantly lesser than having monthly payments combined. Your having a better financial future. Suze Orman is gonna love you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just keep the 2011

I think you are better off staying with the 2011. I looked at buying a third generation first but the used prices were so high. 2010 EX models were the same price as a new 2011 EX model and the 2010 had 10k miles. I had to go back to 2008 models before I saw significant savings but then the cars had many miles on it.
Same experience I had. I like the look of the 2010 better but couldn't find one as cheap as I could get my 2011 EX-L. I wish I could say you'll shave a couple of years off of your payment schedule but I don't think you'd save any money by selling your 2011 and buying a 2010.

Then you gotta ask yourself, why is someone selling a 2010 Ody.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Well said wild willy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sticking with 2011

I was trying to get back on the Dave Ramsey program by purchasing something I could pay off in 2 to 3 years. I looked at the prices on used Odysseys and they were all too much, or had too many miles. We thought long and hard about depreciation, gas prices, maintenance, etc and have decided to stay with the 2011. Not sure it is the best decision financially. I know Dave and Suzy would say no.

I'll just have to get gazelle intense and take out a second job to get this one done ASAP.

·
Registered
463 Posts
ptrulock, Five years is a long time to pay for a vehicle, and you should be commended for trying to get your vehicle paid off. But, you probably aren't going to find a late model Odyssey that will make that trade worthwhile, unless you are going down to an older EX or LX. Plus, there'll be other expenses with the older one along with its uncertain past. Maybe you are just experiencing the buyer's remorse most of us get, and maybe it will pass. Anyway, it will probably cost you a few thousand selling it yourself because you are competing with the dealers who can offer things you can't, but the real beating will come if you trade it in. How about just adding some to the principal each month to pay it off early and enjoy your new GREAT LOOKING van? Okay, I just threw that last sentence in for the haters. Good luck with the decision.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I didn't notice your post until after I replied. Good choice, and even though DR is usually very helpful, his advice is not always the best for everyone's situation. He probably would say ditch the new van and buy a beater, but that does not work for everyone. Since you bought it, you ought to enjoy it and just be more conservative next time. Just my two cents.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts