Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.... Let me start out by saying that i am happy to be a new owner of a 2011 odessey EXL, and my wife and I are loveing it. Haveing two babies, we wanted to go to something that was bigger than our tahoe, and that got better fuel economy in the process. After reading all the minivan reviews we could find, we chose the oddesey. Well last night on the ride home I noticed that there is a small, (and I mean small), hesitation at times. I havent noticed yet if it is just between 2nd and third, or third and fourth, or what. It is very slight, almost a small slip. I thought at first that it was the eco engine shutting down cylinders, or fireing them back up to save fuel, but I am unsure. at any rate, I figured that it was normal. Anyways, I came home and type in slipping problem in the computer, and holy crap, come to find out the odessey has had a huge problem with their trannys for years. Anyways, its sunday, and I cant call the dealership till in the morning, and Im sick to my stomach. Does everyone notice a little glitch in shifting in there odesseys? Am I just over analizeing this, Is anyone else concearned about there tranny? I didnt buy any extended warrenty because that was the reason for buying a honda. Did anyone else buy extended warrenty for this reason?? Should I just relax and drive the heck out of it?

·
Registered
144 Posts
i have an mdx which has had warranty work performed on the transmission and the torque converter. there is a history there with honda trannies. however, i not aware of anything with the new odysseys as of yet.

the honda care (the factory one, not a third party or dealership warranty) was the right choice for me simply because a minivan has so many moving parts. if one of the sliding doors breaks it's already paid for itself. along with the integrated RES and navi, it's kind of a no brainer to cover your ass for the maximum amount of time. of course, drivetrain would be covered under that.

i wouldn't feel too sick about it. honda (acura) owners have known of the transmission issues for a while now and we still come back for more. it's annoying to take it in for warranty service, but honda dealers are well aware of the history. and frankly, most manufacturers have some persistent bugaboos.

obviously, we would like for honda to build better transmissions......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vqdriver said:
i have an mdx which has had warranty work performed on the transmission and the torque converter. there is a history there with honda trannies. however, i not aware of anything with the new odysseys as of yet.

the honda care (the factory one, not a third party or dealership warranty) was the right choice for me simply because a minivan has so many moving parts. if one of the sliding doors breaks it's already paid for itself. along with the integrated RES and navi, it's kind of a no brainer to cover your ass for the maximum amount of time. of course, drivetrain would be covered under that.

i wouldn't feel too sick about it. honda (acura) owners have known of the transmission issues for a while now and we still come back for more. it's annoying to take it in for warranty service, but honda dealers are well aware of the history. and frankly, most manufacturers have some persistent bugaboos.

obviously, we would like for honda to build better transmissions......

What do you mean by the factory honda care and not the dealer or third party one was the right choice for you. Isnt honda care honda care? I was looking at getting extended service on here from the same place most are getting it, is this not wise?

·
Registered
144 Posts
sorry. the wording in my earlier post is lame.

i just meant that purchasing hondacare made sense to me. yes, hondacare is hondacare and i believe you have to buy it from a dealer.

some dealers try to sell pretty shady extended warranties, so just make sure you get the real hondacare.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problem, HONDACARE it will be. I can see they have a plan that goes to 120,000 miles, monday I will see if hey have one that goes to 150,000 just to be sure. If they have a 150,000 mile version, I will opt for it. If not, I willl have to settle for the 120,000 version.

·
Registered
144 Posts
8yrs 120k is what I got and I believe that's the most you can get tho I didn't do any meaningful research in that area so maaaaybe there's more.

There's a long thread on this topic but to save you reading that whole thing, you can buy it from any dealer, even out of state. I paid 1295 thru saccuci honda and I'm in California. That was two weeks ago.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks BUD!!! I will be getting what ever is the longest one offered. Then when we get that amount of miles, we will just trade it in on a new one I recon. I would be scared to death to drive an out of warrenty odesey with all the transmission stuff I have read. Is it mainly odessey, or are all their trannys weak?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Honda had tranny issues through 2004. Since then their transmissions have been, on average, some of the most trouble free in the marketplace. Since 2006 Consumer Reports gives Honda Odyssey trannies the highest rating possible.

The Odyssey has a 5 year 60,000 mile powertrain warranty on the Odyssey.

I would suggest that anyone that states an extended warranty is a no-brainer should to take a closer look at the actual repair record for these vehicles. The facts are: the dealers make money on these warranties, and Honda makes money on these warranties. On average, if you do not buy extended warranties you will save money over your lifetime. That being said, I don't want to get into a long argument over the value of a warranty and I understand there are valid reasons for some folks to consider buying one. It is a form of insurance that some folks are more than willing to pay.

Back to the real issue. It could very well be some of the cylinders are shutting down or starting back up. A perceptible driver will definitely feel it although it is not overly intrusive but you can definitely notice it. I would not be overly worried about it at this point as you have the factory warranty to cover you for quite some time. I would continue to drive it and if you think it is worth a trip to the dealer than by all means do it. The transmission could just have different shift points and behavior than what you are used to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
vqdriver said:
8yrs 120k is what I got and I believe that's the most you can get tho I didn't do any meaningful research in that area so maaaaybe there's more.

There's a long thread on this topic but to save you reading that whole thing, you can buy it from any dealer, even out of state. I paid 1295 thru saccuci honda and I'm in California. That was two weeks ago.

I thought CA buyers could not buy out-of-state hondacare? You simply called saccuci and just ordered? thanks, in the market now for the longest/best hondacare since my dealer was trying to get upwards of $2500 for the 7-yr plan.

didnt mean to hijack OP's thread...will start my own...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bmacz06 said:
Honda had tranny issues through 2004. Since then their transmissions have been, on average, some of the most trouble free in the marketplace. Since 2006 Consumer Reports gives Honda Odyssey trannies the highest rating possible.

The Odyssey has a 5 year 60,000 mile powertrain warranty on the Odyssey.

I would suggest that anyone that states an extended warranty is a no-brainer should to take a closer look at the actual repair record for these vehicles. The facts are: the dealers make money on these warranties, and Honda makes money on these warranties. On average, if you do not buy extended warranties you will save money over your lifetime. That being said, I don't want to get into a long argument over the value of a warranty and I understand there are valid reasons for some folks to consider buying one. It is a form of insurance that some folks are more than willing to pay.

Back to the real issue. It could very well be some of the cylinders are shutting down or starting back up. A perceptible driver will definitely feel it although it is not overly intrusive but you can definitely notice it. I would not be overly worried about it at this point as you have the factory warranty to cover you for quite some time. I would continue to drive it and if you think it is worth a trip to the dealer than by all means do it. The transmission could just have different shift points and behavior than what you are used to.

Thanks my man... This makes me feel a lot better. I thought it was a little wierd that honda could have an on going problem that lasted this long. Man I have hopes of owning this van a LONGGGGGG time. I defanitely dont like the idea of replaceing transmisoins every couple years like some people are talking about doing on here. I was beginning to worry that maybe we had made a mistake. I am glad to know that the newer trannys have gotten such a good rateing. Now maybe I can get some sleep, wheww!!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think I've felt the same thing as you. I haven't figured out what it is yet, but I don't think it's tied to VCM (cylinder management).

Other possibilities:

a) Someone brought up Grade Logic. This is new for 2011 and affects how the transmission shifts. See technology write up elsewhere on this forum.

b) Driver learning. I haven't driven my ody lately, but it's possible over time the transmission shifts will smooth out due to adaptive learning that occurs with modern transmissions.

Whatever the case, the feeling is slight, as you mention. I really don't believe it's anything to worry about.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Honda redesigned the transmission back in 06 and again for 10 for the new 6 speed. Its basically the same as the MDX so its robust enough for SUV use. I think Honda has solved the problem. The issues you read about are from the previous versions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, just got off the phone with the dealership, and they told me the same thing. Thanks God!! OK, Im back to being happy about owning a Honda... They also said that what I was feeling is completely normal, but if it gets worse to bring it in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts