Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Touring and the stereo sounds bad. I'm comparing my company van, a 2006 Chrisler T&C and my friends 2007 Sienna. I also own a 2003 Acura TL with Bose system and makes the Ody sound worst.
I know it's not just my van because my co worker has a 2011 EXL with NAV and he is debating on swapping the front door speakers. He also thinks the 2006 Ody sounds better. It's the only major con from me beside the non HID in my Touring.
Anyone experiencing this? Has anyone change the factory speakers and keep the stock head unit? speakers reconmendation? I'm also wanting to swap speakers after I install the HID kit I ordered from xenondepot.

TIA

·
Registered
96 Posts
The problem is definitely the speakers. To put it bluntly, the OEMs are crap you wouldn't want in a toy walkie-talkie.

I had a 2000 that had similarly crappy sound. I peeked at the speakers, was shocked at how cheap they were (not even buzzer cones!) and swapped in Blaupunkt speakers and head unit. Excellent sound.

When I bought this 2007 EXL (every option including RES and NAV), I was disappointed to hear how crummy the sound was... Odys aren't luxury vehicles but I'd thought that with $5k in electronic options, leather, etc. Honda would spring for something better than black paper... wrong. I pulled the door panels and rear grilles and if anything, these speakers are cheaper than the 2000's. They do have plasticized cones, but still no buzzer cones or second element, and the entire magnet assembly is the size of a stack of about eight quarters.

I don't even want to think about what it would take to replace the factory head unit with RES/NAVI and in fact most factory head units are pretty good. I went and bought two pairs of $50 speakers (Pioneer, but I had a wide choice of makers and details at Best Buy) and spent an hour installing them. They are standard 6.5-inch speakers BUT it's hard to find one that match the Honda 3-point mounting. I just fudged these in, one solid screw and two sort of jacked in sideways - when we get relocated, I might take an hour and redo the job, drilling proper mounting holes and such. Or not.

Point is, these rather inexpensive 2-way speakers most audiophiles would sneer at made a HUGE difference in audio quality. I had planned to live with the stock audio system, but the sound was so mushy, indistinct and impossible to balance that I gave up and did the swap.

I recommend a speaker upgrade for every single Ody owner who cares AT ALL what the sound is like, has $100 or so for the budget and can do the basic work. Worst case, have a shop do it, probably for under $200 total. Your ears will thank you.

One tip: since the head unit's performance is modest, you want to match the OEM speaker impedance (4 ohms), not drop to 2 ohms, which might overload the output stage and damage it. You also want the highest efficiency speakers you can find - 90dB or greater. Most high-power speakers have lower efficiencies, but you can get away with 30-50W speakers and easily find efficiencies of 90-92dB. That will give you a tad more volume overall.

I know Honda has to control costs on their vehicles, but it comes close to enraging me that they cheat even the highest-ticket buyer with speakers that Radio Shack would be embarrassed to sell in a kid's toy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts