Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heresy alert. I might buy a Caravan next time.

Went to check them out and was shocked at how well they drove, how comfortable the seats were, how fast it could accelerate and how cheap they are!

Got a quote on an SE equipped almost exactly the same as the Ody LX: $21,500 (plus tax and title). This is WITH the option pack needed to get rear AC. Only missing feature vs the LX is that the GC middle windows are fixed at that price/model point. Same as my 03LX.

They also had a special on a 'Crew' model for $24,000. That has more doodads on it than a current Ody EX.

So, true believers, talk me out of it. Yeah, I know Chryco makes iffy transmissions. So does Honda. Yeah I know resale sucks. Not an issue, I drive them to 200k miles. The stow/go middle seats are marginal comfort, but good enough for kids, plus they still have armrests on BOTH sides, a dumb omission in the Ody.

What's the Ody LX got that makes it worth thousands more than a Dodge?

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
The GC feels and rides well when new, but it deteriorates quickly after that. An Ody at 100K miles feels like a GC at 5K miles. A GC at 100K miles feels worn out. That's the difference. If you are going to keep it for 200K miles, get an Ody.

Dave

·
Registered
419 Posts
The GC feels and rides well when new, but it deteriorates quickly after that. An Ody at 100K miles feels like a GC at 5K miles. A GC at 100K miles feels worn out. That's the difference. If you are going to keep it for 200K miles, get an Ody.

Dave
Plus is doesn't look like a rolling box. :)

Also you said that re-sale is not an issue, go ahead and price your '02 with an '02 Chrysler and see what the comparo is.. You also mentioned that they are priced cheap, we'll there is a reason for that.

We are probably all biased here on the Ody side, with the exception of Willy (no offense) :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Chrysler has iffy tranny's??? I'm not going to try to talk you out of anything but the wifes '98 caravan has had precisely zero issues with engine or tranny - she's at about 145k now.

The new ones do look like boxes though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The refreshed for 2011+ town and country got 2nd place in a c&d comparison although still behind 1st place odyssey. If magazine reviews have any weight for you I'm sure it's not a bad choice.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
If the new ones are the same as the previous one's, I would turn around and run. My buddy has an 01 and that thing is one big pile of ****. It creaks, clunks, rattles, they all rust like crazy, and he lost reverse at 99,650 miles. I would stick with the ody.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i was recently on vacation and rented a 12' GC for a week (i own an 07 exl) and yea, it goes really nice....the penatsar and the 6speed tranny is a great combo. you keep the revs up and the tranny shifts so fast.....bang, bang, bang......the dash lights are quite nice as well, but aside from my oddy's spongy brake feel, it was night and day difference between the two.......ride quality, fit and finish and overall was nice to be back in the oddy's seat. i've had a cryke before and fking never again - warranty goes up on that GC and get rid of it!!!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Plus is doesn't look like a rolling box. :)

Also you said that re-sale is not an issue, go ahead and price your '02 with an '02 Chrysler and see what the comparo is.. You also mentioned that they are priced cheap, we'll there is a reason for that.

We are probably all biased here on the Ody side, with the exception of Willy (no offense) :)
OK, I did. My 03 Ody LX w/ 195,000 miles has an Edmunds estimated private party sale price of $3,000.

A Grand Caravan SE w/ similar equipment and 195,000 miles has a private party sale price of $2,250.

So after 10 years, I might get back $750 of the price difference. Maybe.

Meanwhile a good deal on an Ody LX is about $26,000. The similarly equipped (except the middle row windows) GC SE can be had for $21,500. (And I haven't haggled yet)

Resale is looking like a pretty poor argument right now.

I'm intrigued by the 'wear out' comments. Can you be more specific? Did the struts go, or ball joints, sway bar links, what? Some of these things aren't hard to replace. My Ody has been very good in the suspension department, but those things aren't substantially harder to do than the work I HAVE had to do on the Ody(EGR valves, corroded HVAC resistor, radiator, sliding door parts, PS pump, motor mounts). Tell more.

As to comparisons with an old 01 GC, be serious. There literally isn't one part in common. And I'm not aware of substantial safety rating / crash test differences between the Ody and GC. Data I've missed?

Our LX has been a very good vehicle, but is hardly an argument for mystical Japanese invincibility. Their poop stinks too and they put on pants one leg at a time, just like the chrysler designers. Not sure why anyone would assumes that good crash experience in a Honda would extrapolate to a suspicion that Dodge wouldn't do as well....

·
Registered
447 Posts
Unlike most on this forum, I actually have OWNED both Caravan and Ody. The Caravan (bought new and sold at 120K in good condition + origional tranny) had fewer problems than the Ody by far. That comment about "GC at 5K feels like the the Ody at 100k is TOTAL > BS. The tranny is no more likely to go than any other FWD van including Ody or Toyota. My brother's Sienna tranny went south at 83K. Personally I'm going back to Dodge next time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
. And I'm not aware of substantial safety rating / crash test differences between the Ody and GC. Data I've missed?
From Edmunds:

2012 Grand Caravan:
In government crash testing, the Grand Caravan was given an overall score of four out of five stars, with four stars for overall frontal-impact and five stars for overall side-impact testing.

2012 Odyssey:
In government safety testing, the Odyssey scored a perfect five stars in overall, frontal- and side-impact crash protection.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Excellent rating info and great contribution to the thread.

Thanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
While I don't have personal experience gc reliability I do still see a few 80s and early 90s caravans running around still.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
419 Posts
Guess I'm biased and i don't have any other arguments for you.. I did notice at NADA.com that the price of the resale is higher on the Honda than what you had stated from Edmunds. I would imagine its because the Dodges get bought by rental car companies and have flooded the market with them.. maybe, its just my guess.

Looks like your leaning the Dodge way and I know that price most definitely plays a part of this equation. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Check the Dodge forums for their opinion.. that might be the tie breaker you are looking for.

Pat

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
I'm intrigued by the 'wear out' comments. Can you be more specific? Did the struts go, or ball joints, sway bar links, what? Some of these things aren't hard to replace. My Ody has been very good in the suspension department, but those things aren't substantially harder to do than the work I HAVE had to do on the Ody(EGR valves, corroded HVAC resistor, radiator, sliding door parts, PS pump, motor mounts). Tell more.
Going from my brother's experience, it's not the big stuff that breaks (engine, tranny, etc.) Rather, it's the small stuff (switches, upholstery, hardware, rust, etc.) Nothing major, no stranded family, no $1,000+ repair bills. Just repeated trips first to the dealer under warranty then to the local mechanic after that.

According to TrueDelta, the T&C has 2 to 3 times more repairs than the Ody, except in 2011 where the Ody has slightly more. Chrysler Town & Country Reliability vs. Honda Odyssey Reliability

It would be interesting to have more Ody clubbers with firsthand experience driving both the Ody and Chrysler, especially the newest generation of both.

·
Registered
22 Posts
After my wife walked away from this major collision last week:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/152838-full-sized-truck-moving-40-mph-versus-wifes-2008-ex-l.html

...there isn't a chance in hell anyone will be able convince her to trust her life and the lives of our children to a dodge. She's sold for life on Honda safety.
That has to be the most uninformed thing I've read on this site. You sir, need to try googling stuff before posting such nonsense.. In a 2-3 minute google search for safety ratings I am showing the Caravan and the Odyssey identical.

One of the things that draws me to this site and makes me appreciate Honda owners is their ability to not spew coolaid induced dribble regarding some sort of infallible vehicle making company(like the toyota sites seem to thrive on)

Minivan/Van Safety Ratings - Minivan/Van Safety Features - Motor Trend Magazine

Shows 5/5 for front/side on BOTH the ody and GC

The insurance institute shows them both as a "GOOD" rating with actually the Ody not as good in a couple categories
IIHS-HLDI: Honda Odyssey
IIHS-HLDI: Dodge Grand Caravan

I also agree (and say again) that the '98 my wife is driving has been an incredibly reliable car. Only thing that failed is the roof paint...No rust at all on it though.

Just sayin.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That has to be the most uninformed thing I've read on this site. You sir, need to try googling stuff before posting such nonsense.. In a 2-3 minute google search for safety ratings I am showing the Caravan and the Odyssey identical. One of the things that draws me to this site and makes me appreciate Honda owners is their ability to not spew coolaid induced dribble regarding some sort of infallible vehicle making company(like the toyota sites seem to thrive on) Minivan/Van Safety Ratings - Minivan/Van Safety Features - Motor Trend Magazine Shows 5/5 for front/side on BOTH the ody and GC The insurance institute shows them both as a "GOOD" rating with actually the Ody not as good in a couple categories IIHS-HLDI: Honda Odyssey IIHS-HLDI: Dodge Grand Caravan I also agree (and say again) that the '98 my wife is driving has been an incredibly reliable car. Only thing that failed is the roof paint...No rust at all on it though. Just sayin.
sorry - by '98...I mean '98 DODGE! Grand Caravan!

·
Registered
122 Posts
We had 01 Dodge caravan with over 250,000 before trading in for ody. It has been reliable other than brake issues. I feel like we spend more on maintenance and repairs on ody than Caravan. We don't own ody that long. Caravan runs and willing to do multiple cross country trip after 250,000. I will buy dodge again only if it has 3.3 engine. I am not familiar with 3.6 , 3.8 or 4.0.

We use 03 or 04 (cant remember) dodge caravan at my old job. They still use 98 or 99 old plymouth van.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We had a 2005 Town and Country that was written off in an accident when a driver ran a stop sign. Three cars written off in the accident due to after he hit us, it pushed us into the third vehicle. We liked the T&C and only had brake issues. We had a 2012 town and Country for rent which had all the bells and whistles. I just wanted to see what else was out there and following Consumer guide thought I would look at the Odyssey. Drove up to test drive a 2006 ex-l and the vehicle was more quieter than the 2012 Town and Country. The Odyssey seems to be a little more comfortable and Gas mileage was about 2 mpg better in the Odyssey. No issues so far and the kids think it is more comfortable than the T&C.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

1 - 20 of 56 Posts