Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 EX-L with 55K started acting sluggish in low speeds and check engine light & VSA light came on. Dealer pulled code P0302 and says spark plugs and piston rings need replaced. I found out in this great forum there was a class action lawsuit on the VCM issue, which appears to be the ultimate cause of this. Questions:
1. Extended warranty on the TSB 13-081 expired May 2020 (8 yrs from my purchase date). I wasn't aware of this design flaw before this happened to me. I've asked dealer to see if Honda will help out. Anyone have any luck on this?
2. If I get an active VCM muzzle like VCMTunerII, how hard is that to install for a novice?
3. Obviously spark plugs need to be replaced. They say this alone will get me another 10-20K miles before problems arise again. But they also recommend piston ring replacement for $3600! I don't know how carbonized they are -- they just described them as "sticky due to carbon buildup". Is there a way to tell? Would Techron/seafoam help clean these? If Honda won't extend warranty for me, I'm reluctant to pay this $$$ for the piston rings unless necessary.

I've maintained the van well -- doing all required maintenance. I wasn't aware that this VCM issue tended to burn oil, so oil changes were done whenever maintenance minder went off. I have done frequent transmission fluid changes (due to unpleasant experience with 2000 Ody tranny).

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
1. Doubt Honda will do anything on the warranty. It’s out of the time period offered.

2 . VCM inhibit devices are very easy to install.

3. Yes plugs plus the VCM will likely keep you from major repairs. Don’t buy plugs off eBay or Amazon as there are tons of fakes out there. Reputable brick and mortar or Rock Auto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
I’m in the same boat. Lots of great help on this forum. See my thread a couple below. I just changed my plugs and ordered the vcm tuner 2. Hoping it gets me years more out of the ody. Currently has over 130k, bought November 2012.

*waiting for vcm tuner to be delivered. There is a YouTube video that shows install. Should take about 5 min. Also a video on plugs, but if not handy have someone do them.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,726 Posts
My 2012 EX-L with 55K started acting sluggish in low speeds and check engine light & VSA light came on. Dealer pulled code P0302 and says spark plugs and piston rings need replaced. I found out in this great forum there was a class action lawsuit on the VCM issue, which appears to be the ultimate cause of this. Questions:
1. Extended warranty on the TSB 13-081 expired May 2020 (8 yrs from my purchase date). I wasn't aware of this design flaw before this happened to me. I've asked dealer to see if Honda will help out. Anyone have any luck on this?
2. If I get an active VCM muzzle like VCMTunerII, how hard is that to install for a novice?
3. Obviously spark plugs need to be replaced. They say this alone will get me another 10-20K miles before problems arise again. But they also recommend piston ring replacement for $3600! I don't know how carbonized they are -- they just described them as "sticky due to carbon buildup". Is there a way to tell? Would Techron/seafoam help clean these? If Honda won't extend warranty for me, I'm reluctant to pay this $$$ for the piston rings unless necessary.

I've maintained the van well -- doing all required maintenance. I wasn't aware that this VCM issue tended to burn oil, so oil changes were done whenever maintenance minder went off. I have done frequent transmission fluid changes (due to unpleasant experience with 2000 Ody tranny).
1: In the past people have had goodwill offers from their dealer to cover a chunk of the cost, but that seems to be happening less now. Either way, not worth it unless you get a really high goodwill offer. You don't need it.
2: I don't know how skilled you are. Novice is a relative term. Watch this installation guide and see if it's within your skills:
3: You will need to replace your spark plugs no matter what you do at this point. Replace them, disable VCM, and that should take care of the piston rings on its own. Some Techron probably won't help much, but you've got nothing to lose by trying it.

All this information and more can be found in the VCM Megathread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts