Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

Our family is about to buy a 2012 Odyssey in EX-L trim but we don't want either the RES or Navigation system. However, the rear view camera is something we highly desire and would love to hear comments from owners who have the non-Nav, non-RES trim of EX-L. From what I gathered the two main differences between the navigation equipped EX-L and the plain EX-L trim regarding the rear view camera appear as follows
  1. Display resolution is higher on the navigation equipped model. The nav system display resolution is 800x480 and if the nav system is absent its 480x320
  2. The nav system has multiple angles (top view, wide angle view and normal view) whereas the regular trim only has the normal view
Do the owners who don't have the navigation system feel that the rear view camera is usable and adequate? What are your overall impressions with the back up camera.

Considering that the navigation system is approximately $2000 more from the base EX-L trim and the fact that we will only look at the rear view camera for about 2 minutes a day when the van is in reverse gear, I'm not sure it's worth it. Please convince me that I'm either right or completely wrong based on your opinions.

Thank you for your comments

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would really recommend you find a dealer that has both. An EX-L, and a EX-L w/ Navi. No description can beat seeing it for yourself.

Not sure if its worth $2000 to you but

- The integrated Navi is pretty damn nice. Big screen, good resolution. Beats the stupid garmin unit which keeps falling off my wind shield in other cars.
- Integrated Bluetooth is amazing. Plays music from my iPhone using BTLink. iPhone sits in my pocket the whole time unless I really need to charge it with the usb port in the glove box
- Integrated Bluetooth is also great for making and receiving calls. Beats having the blue tooth headsets that needs to be charged all the time. Quality is crystal clear
- I am satisfied enough with the sound system

Full list here other than just the better rear back up camera.

EX-L with Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™:

• Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™ with Voice Recognition, FM Traffic and Multi-Angle Rearview Camera with Guidelines[7][8]
  • 246-Watt AM/FM/CD Audio System with 7 Speakers including Subwoofer
  • i-MID with 8" High-Resolution WVGA (800x480) Screen
  • Interface Dial with Scrolling and Multi-Line Display
  • Hard Disk Drive (HDD) with 15GB Audio Memory[9]
  • Illuminated Steering Wheel-Mounted Cruise/Audio/Phone/Navi Control

·
Registered
100 Posts
The base EX-L has all of the Bluetooth functions without the premium cost. The screen resolution is more than enough for my needs although when I do use my garmin it looks puny compared to the screen in the dash.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't know how Honda handles the updated maps for their NAVI; I know that Porsche charges an arm and a leg for them. Makes my "little" Garmin with lifetime map and traffic updates look pretty good to me!--Dave

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just purchased an EX-L without Nav or RES. I feel the screen resolution is fine for my needs. The backup camera provides a good amount of extra visibility when combined with my usual over-the-shoulder and side view mirror checks. I don't rely it as my only view when backing up. While I would have liked Nav, I didn't want to spend the extra $2k for it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
174 Posts
IMHO NAV is a complete waste. Resolution in the backup camera setup is more than adequate - you aren't watching your favorite show in high def for hours after all... the single angle is very adequate - again, in my opinion. While having a big screen nav can help in some limited circumstances, I feel that the downside of being locked into the nav unit that comes with the car is very limiting in an area that changes so rapidly. Having a stand alone unit makes it easy to upgrade (either with software or hardware as necessary), and is absolutely more cost effective ( I can buy 8-10 new Garmin units for the price the upgrade to the NAV system in the Honda). I can take it to my other cars when I need it. It is convenient to have it handy at all times without power cords laying on the dash but for the number of times I actually use it, the decision is a no brainer for me. The extra GB of storage would be nice, but I'll get myself a couple of USB drives and save the $1,950 for other things.

This, of course, is personal choice, but it seems to be pretty clear to me from a financial standpoint that NAV is a waste of money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We took a test drive in an EX-L with NAV. Couldn't get the thing to shut-up. I suspect from what I have read on-line that for "safety", you are not allowed to make changes to the NAV while the vehicle is in gear. I would suggest you take a test drive and try to use the NAV - see how it works for you. We have a cheap TomTom that works fine.

We purchased an EX-L no NAV and no RES. The backup camera works great.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I haven't bought yet, but I've tested it a lot. I think it's fine. Not quite sure why you excluded EX-L's with RES cuz the resolution is the same as the non-nav EX-L without RES. In any case, it's perfectly fine. The idea is to see enough detail to know you're not gonna back over a kid or something.

You may only use it a couple of minutes a day, but you also only use the toilet a few minutes a day. Doesn't mean those couple of minutes aren't critical.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased EX-L w/o RES, w/o NAV. The backup camera resolution is good enough to view obstacles. Hi resolution sometimes needs good illumination condition. In dark environment, a hi resolution camera may have the similar quality image as the standard one.
Even I have backup camera, I still want to have parking sensors.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Navi while Moving

We took a test drive in an EX-L with NAV. Couldn't get the thing to shut-up. I suspect from what I have read on-line that for "safety", you are not allowed to make changes to the NAV while the vehicle is in gear. I would suggest you take a test drive and try to use the NAV - see how it works for you. We have a cheap TomTom that works fine.

We purchased an EX-L no NAV and no RES. The backup camera works great.
As far as 'getting it to shut up', I'd be really surprised if it didn't have the same type of options as exist in my 2006 Civic w/Navi. You can set the audio navigation guidance to 'Normal', 'Minimal' or 'None'.

As far as being able to (or not able to) enter data in to the Navi while the vehicle is moving, can someone w/the system please confirm this? (The ability to do anything 'Nav' related while the vehicle is moving). Things certainly could have changed, but on my 2006 Civic w/Navi it was completely 'usable' while moving, and at the time similar Toyota products didn't allow that - it was a choice of the manufacturer overall it seems.

SO, can someone w/Navi please confirm. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
To Nav or not to Nav is a completely personal-preference type of thing. I have a very poor sense of direction so when I bought my last car (2006 Civic Hybrid) it offered Nav and I didn't hesitate for one second. Because I went out a lot (concerts and shows at small venues) I used it A LOT. It wasn't perfect for sure, and the little I've played with the Navi system in the current Ody Navi system looks MUCH, MUCH better, with a gorgeous large screen, placed up-high and center.

I have an Android phone, so yes, I could have turn-by-turn Nav for free, but it just isn't the same by a long shot. (The advantage of the phone is that I have Nav with me is with me regardless of what car I'm in, but buying the Navi system isn't exclusive of also having it in my phone)

Finally, of course, it's a matter of your financial situation and frugality. Some people will look at the Navi option vs. the price of a little Garmin (or Android phone mount) and see a pretty clear answer. Even if they don't look at it as Apples vs. Apples, if the price/value is the only issue, the Navi loses if you are up against a budget or frugal when it comes to that stuff. (Not that there is anything wrong with that - to each their own)

Lastly, I remember this one friend lambasting me about buying the Navi in my Civic. Well, he could frickin' circumvent the globe at a street level with a one-page map it seems, so of course he couldn't relate to my need for good route guidance.

Just my 2 cents, from a future (April) Odyssey owner who is deciding between EX-L w/Navi and Touring.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I purchased the2012 EX-L w/nav. I live in a small town in GA and the nav stops 10 miles from my house and gives me a red straight line to my house. I have lived here 15 years and the streets show up, but the nav sys will not take me any closer. I have other streets in the area that are on the system, but cannot be part of the navigation. Updates appear to be around $150. My Garmin is easier to input and use, and cheaper. The nav system is not worth the $2,000.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for your responses. I grealy appreciate all your perspectives.

We ended up with purchasing the EX-L without the navigation system. While my experience is limited to the last 4 days, I will say that the camera and screen resolution seems adequate and very usable to me. I personally don't think having multiple angles or higher screen resolution would make significant difference in that particular aspect.

·
Registered
13 Posts
How tough / expensive is it to update the NAV? For reasons similar to the poster above (no sense of direction, lots of driving) I am strongly considering the EX-L with NAV. I have an iPhone, but would prefer bigger screen and not to have wired hanging. But - wondering how good it is, how expensive to update? And if its worth it to get or if I should just stick to EX-L? I am comfortable we can add some type of RES after market.

Info appreciated!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts