Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if having significant metal detrius ( nice round glob cover the whole thing) on the transmission drain plug when it was DF serviced like ~7.5k miles ago is normal? Thanks

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I was just wondering if having significant metal detrius ( nice round glob cover the whole thing) on the transmission drain plug when it was DF serviced like ~7.5k miles ago is normal? Thanks
pictures are nice...

a few mm of muck is normal, a flower of metal spikes stuck to the magnet is bad.

this was the problem in my gen 2 for a couple of years before it needed to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,299 Posts
A "round glob"? As in spherical?

After only 7500 miles since it was last cleaned, I'd say you should see very little muck on the end of the magnet. As @2011.2017.odyssey said, a picture would be very helpful.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, should have taken a picture. More like a few mm layer around it. Not a huge flower of particles. Thanks.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I did a series of 3 DFs around 3/2020 at about 105k miles and I did drop the pan then (whoops bad memory, no pan, sorry). You're probably right still old fluid left. Before that I'm not sure if it ever got trans service.

I wasn't going to do a DF now, but after driving it, and knowing finicky honda transmissions, I felt I should do it.

It was a large enough amount of metal detritus though for me to be a bit worried after 7.5k miles.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry bad memory. no pan.

btw, since ya'll are so helpful, I only drained out about 3.0 quarts of old ATF. and added back in roughly the same amount. but I read the DF is 3.6 quarts? previous DFs were around 3.6 quarts drained out as well. hmm.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts

btw, since ya'll are so helpful, I only drained out about 3.0 quarts of old ATF. and added back in roughly the same amount. but I read the DF is 3.6 quarts? previous DFs were around 3.6 quarts drained out as well. hmm.
there is 7.4 quarts in a 6 speed.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,471 Posts

The amount drained varies with the angle of the van while draining. Just add back fluid until it is at the correct level...

-Charlie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts