Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of months ago at the beach, I had to have my alternator replaced. Within the last twelve months, I've also replaced my battery. The last couple of weeks, the check charging system message would appear with the battery symbol at very specific locations on my way home from work. It was consistent at those locations for a week. My local technician went over the vehicle, tightened the connections on the battery and sent me on the way because the message is not consistent. It came back on yesterday and has stayed on. During my commute today, I got all the signals that occurred when my alternator went (multiple messages flashing on the dash, RPM's skyrocketed, etc) but the ABS continued to work. I was able to safely get to the side of the road and pause for a few minutes. All of the messages went away (including the check charging system) and so I continued my commute to work. However, when I would accelerate and shift gears, it would jump/act like it had trouble shifting gears. Thankfully, I was able to get it parked at the office and will have it towed to Honda. Any suggestions on what might be happening before it gets towed?

·
Administrator
14,536 Posts
Did you get the alternator replaced at a Honda dealer near the beach? The non-Denso alternators are known to cause these types of issues. If you have an aftermarket alternator (Advance Auto, Autozone etc), I am betting that is the problem. If it was a Honda dealer they only use remanufactured Denso and it came with a 12 month/12K miles warranty.

If aftermarket, call the shop there and ask about the warranty and if there is, ask the extra cost to upgrade to a remanufactured Denso. You would need to get it installed somewhere or go back to the beach however.

Reactions: jiantao

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,281 Posts
Also check for leaks on the front/top corner of the engine above the alternator (where the engine dipstick is located). There is a gasket on the VCM spool valve there that often leaks and ruins alternators (probably what killed the first one).

Dvpatel is also right about the OEM and/or Denso alternator thing - if it isn't one of those two options, it has likely failed all on its own already.

-Charlie

Reactions: jiantao
1 - 3 of 3 Posts