Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of months ago at the beach, I had to have my alternator replaced. Within the last twelve months, I've also replaced my battery. The last couple of weeks, the check charging system message would appear with the battery symbol at very specific locations on my way home from work. It was consistent at those locations for a week. My local technician went over the vehicle, tightened the connections on the battery and sent me on the way because the message is not consistent. It came back on yesterday and has stayed on. During my commute today, I got all the signals that occurred when my alternator went (multiple messages flashing on the dash, RPM's skyrocketed, etc) but the ABS continued to work. I was able to safely get to the side of the road and pause for a few minutes. All of the messages went away (including the check charging system) and so I continued my commute to work. However, when I would accelerate and shift gears, it would jump/act like it had trouble shifting gears. Thankfully, I was able to get it parked at the office and will have it towed to Honda. Any suggestions on what might be happening before it gets towed?

·
Administrator
14,905 Posts
Did you get the alternator replaced at a Honda dealer near the beach? The non-Denso alternators are known to cause these types of issues. If you have an aftermarket alternator (Advance Auto, Autozone etc), I am betting that is the problem. If it was a Honda dealer they only use remanufactured Denso and it came with a 12 month/12K miles warranty.

If aftermarket, call the shop there and ask about the warranty and if there is, ask the extra cost to upgrade to a remanufactured Denso. You would need to get it installed somewhere or go back to the beach however.

Reactions: jiantao

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,666 Posts
Also check for leaks on the front/top corner of the engine above the alternator (where the engine dipstick is located). There is a gasket on the VCM spool valve there that often leaks and ruins alternators (probably what killed the first one).

Dvpatel is also right about the OEM and/or Denso alternator thing - if it isn't one of those two options, it has likely failed all on its own already.

-Charlie

·
Registered
11 Posts
This sounds like what just happened to my Honda Odyssey Ran over a small curb and then check charging system light went off and everything started shutting down Honda said oil was leaking on alternated and made it short out. They want 1800.00 to repair it. Is this a reasonable price ? I just spent 900.00 on replacing spark plugs and cylenoid and valve cover Just had oil change. Does this have anything to do with piston problem that was a recall I had to have pistons replaced due to that issue.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
The "pistons replaced" (actually, the piston rings are what Honda replaces) is related to VCM. This is a separate issue from your fried alternator. Read the VCM MegaThread that's stickied at the top of this section about the problems it causes and how to disable it.
Who replaced the valve cover gaskets? I wonder if they thought the oil leak was there and not by the spool valve.
Solenoid? Transmission solenoid or starter solenoid? Both not related to your alternator issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The "pistons replaced" (actually, the piston rings are what Honda replaces) is related to VCM. This is a separate issue from your fried alternator. Read the VCM MegaThread that's stickied at the top of this section about the problems it causes and how to disable it.
Who replaced the valve cover gaskets? I wonder if they thought the oil leak was there and not by the spool valve.
Solenoid? Transmission solenoid or starter solenoid? Both not related to your alternator issue.
Best one Indy replaced the spark plugs and valve cover gasket Could that have caused the oil to leak on the alrernator Or is it a different gasket that leaked ?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Spool valve is a different gasket, on the passenger side just below the front valve cover- from what I can recall from other threads with this problem.

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 120k miles
2,106 Posts
Yes, the infamous "spool valve" is almost certainly unrelated to previous work. It is a problem all by itself, without needing any help from mechanics.

If you pop the hood and look at the engine oil dipstick, the dipstick tube sits right near the space between the spool valve above it and the alternator below it.

I don't have a problem there yet, but at 130+k miles figure it is coming my way, so I'm keeping a close eye on it. I've cleaned it carefully so that any oil leak will be readily visible.

The $1800 quote above sounds pretty high, maybe double what it should be. I think the spool valve ( 15810-R70-A04 ) costs < $200.

Replacing it the smart way (as shown in the TSB), rather than the full thing, is a quick, half hour job. Maybe the quote is replacing the entire assembly, which is 20x as much work, and is likely to cause problems if not done properly (better to leave untouched by DIY and pro alike, I think).

The alternator ( 31100-RV0-A01 for my 2011 LX - may be different for your car) might cost $300 (just a guess) and maybe an hour to replace.

Reactions: s_ribs

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, the infamous "spool valve" is almost certainly unrelated to previous work. It is a problem all by itself, without needing any help from mechanics.

If you pop the hood and look at the engine oil dipstick, the dipstick tube sits right near the space between the spool valve above it and the alternator below it.

I don't have a problem there yet, but at 130+k miles figure it is coming my way, so I'm keeping a close eye on it. I've cleaned it carefully so that any oil leak will be readily visible.

The $1800 quote above sounds pretty high, maybe double what it should be. I think the spool valve ( 15810-R70-A04 ) costs < $200.

Replacing it the smart way (as shown in the TSB), rather than the full thing, is a quick, half hour job. Maybe the quote is replacing the entire assembly, which is 20x as much work, and is likely to cause problems if not done properly (better to leave untouched by DIY and pro alike, I think).

The alternator ( 31100-RV0-A01 for my 2011 LX - may be different for your car) might cost $300 (just a guess) and maybe an hour to replace.
Thank you I appreciate your help

·
Registered
28 Posts
First time poster! I JUST did this repair on my sister's 2011 Odyssey, the exact same thing happened to her- alternator went out causing the "check charging system" light on the dash, some stumbling/ stalling. etc. She had the shop replace the alternator and then about a week later it did the exact same thing. She took it back and they said it was the front valve cover gasket leaking oil into the alternator, and they would replace the alternator again at no charge but the oil leak would have to be fixed first. However like other shops above they told her it was the front valve cover gasket, which the VCM MegaThread on here makes clear is NOT the case. It is the VCM spool valve gasket(s)- there are two of them. And you absolutely cannot buy these gaskets from a Honda dealer- if you go through them you HAVE to replace the entire spool valve housing to the tune of $250 or so. Some unscrupulous ebay sellers sell these gaskets under the guise of "genuine OEM Honda" but they are NOT. They are counterfeit and do not fit right. Fortunately after some digging, I located a pair of Mahle gaskets that my sister ordered from O'Reillys website (part #s B33566 and B33567.) They both fit like a glove and have apparently stopped the leak. So if you have this issue and can get your hands on a pair of the Mahle gaskets they seem to work great- the only problem is finding them especially the B33567, every store told my sister it was a special order that came with an upcharge, and that there were only two left in the entire country. Luckily she was still able to order it through their online site with no upcharge and free shipping.

·
Registered
11 Posts
First time poster! I JUST did this repair on my sister's 2011 Odyssey, the exact same thing happened to her- alternator went out causing the "check charging system" light on the dash, some stumbling/ stalling. etc. She had the shop replace the alternator and then about a week later it did the exact same thing. She took it back and they said it was the front valve cover gasket leaking oil into the alternator, and they would replace the alternator again at no charge but the oil leak would have to be fixed first. However like other shops above they told her it was the front valve cover gasket, which the VCM MegaThread on here makes clear is NOT the case. It is the VCM spool valve gasket(s)- there are two of them. And you absolutely cannot buy these gaskets from a Honda dealer- if you go through them you HAVE to replace the entire spool valve housing to the tune of $250 or so. Some unscrupulous ebay sellers sell these gaskets under the guise of "genuine OEM Honda" but they are NOT. They are counterfeit and do not fit right. Fortunately after some digging, I located a pair of Mahle gaskets that my sister ordered from O'Reillys website (part #s B33566 and B33567.) They both fit like a glove and have apparently stopped the leak. So if you have this issue and can get your hands on a pair of the Mahle gaskets they seem to work great- the only problem is finding them especially the B33567, every store told my sister it was a special order that came with an upcharge, and that there were only two left in the entire country. Luckily she was still able to order it through their online site with no upcharge and free shipping.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I ordered the gaskets and just replaced them. I
Hope this solves my problem I appreciate your help with this issue. It has cost me a lot of headache and money. Hopefully this will be the end of this problem

·
Registered
28 Posts
I ordered the gaskets and just replaced them. I
Hope this solves my problem I appreciate your help with this issue. It has cost me a lot of headache and money. Hopefully this will be the end of this problem
Good luck ! So far my sister's Odyssey has worked flawlessly and when she took it back to get the alternator re-replaced the shop said it looked like the oil leak was fixed, so fingers crossed.
My main concern after reading some other posters' experiences using those counterfeit Honda gaskets off ebay was that the check engine light would come on and stay on. But hopefully those Mahle gaskets are the real deal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you for a your help. Your sister is lucky to have someone to help her Wish I had a brother ! I’m trading my Honda in once my new car comes in so I only need a few more months without issues. Hopefully nothing else will break on it!
Good luck ! So far my sister's Odyssey has worked flawlessly and when she took it back to get the alternator re-replaced the shop said it looked like the oil leak was fixed, so fingers crossed.
My main concern after reading some other posters' experiences using those counterfeit Honda gaskets off ebay was that the check engine light would come on and stay on. But hopefully those Mahle gaskets are the real deal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts