Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I own a 2012 with 120k on the clock. Right as the 8yr 120k extended warranty was about to expire the check engine light popped on showing P3400. Having the warranty still I didn't go digging but just brought it to a trusted indy. They took a day to diagnose and decided to replace the whole VVT solenoid assembly. I received the van back a few days later with no issues. a few days later I noticed what seemed to be a fairly loud pop coming from the firewall, directly behind the steering column/radio area. This pop only happens when the eco mode is active and van starts undergoing load. In other words coming out of eco mode which led me to believe it was the oil pressure switch or low oil pressure causing a delay in the VVT actuation.
I brought the van back to the shop and they were unable to replicate. As I drove it home I recorded it doing it so that I could share it with them. The Service advisor informed me that their work and parts associated carried a 2yr warranty and that if they could replicate and it happened to be their work or parts they would replace with no charge. In the interim I have gone over the 120k and am no longer under warranty. but that is not an issue as they claim to stand behind their work. I am on here now to try to gain additional insight to this mysterious misfire.
the van runs completely normal outside of the misfire coming out of eco mode. No rough idle, no stumbles or hesitations, it runs perfect otherwise. I have done a few things on my own to eliminate some things. I replaced the oil pressure switch as they are known to go bad and could have been defective ($10 and easy enough to change). New spark plugs. tested the coil on plugs and they all check out.
I am chasing a ghost here and wanted to hear some of your thoughts or opinions... 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
I kept digging through the threads and VCM in hondas have so many issues. I am going to purchase the VCMTuner Advanced since many have experienced success in doing so. I will report back once installed.

Registered
Installing a VCMTunerII is a good idea regardless.

So, is this a misfire or a popping noise? You talk about both. Be careful throwing parts at this. You changed an oil pressure switch for $10 which indicates to me you likely replaced a good OEM oil pressure switch with a cheap Chiinese aftermarket switch. Replacing parts with aftermarket cheap parts will cause other issues now and/or in the future.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Installing a VCMTunerII is a good idea regardless.

So, is this a misfire or a popping noise? You talk about both. Be careful throwing parts at this. You changed an oil pressure switch for $10 which indicates to me you likely replaced a good OEM oil pressure switch with a cheap Chiinese aftermarket switch. Replacing parts with aftermarket cheap parts will cause other issues now and/or in the future.
Thank you for the reminder on swapping parts, i do get carried away sometimes. In this case i kept the original oil switch and will swap them back. It is a misfire that sounds like a pop within the intake manifold it.I ordered the VCMtuner last night and my thoughts were that it i a good investment none the less and hopefully will eliminate the issue as well.. we'll see.

Registered
Popping in the intake often indicates a timing issue.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking the same thing. This is why I had originally mentioned oil pressure switch or low oil pressure as a possibility to causing a delay in the VVT actuation. I have nothing to substantiate this thought process except that this popping is consistently associated with coming out of eco mode and reengaging all cylinders.

Registered
I would check the timing marks. Maybe you jumped a tooth on the timing belt.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
will do. I had the timing done around 85k so I hadn't thought of this. also b/c the pop only happens with eco. I have some time next week to tinker and should have the VCMtuner by them as well. I will let you know. thank you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
2 Participants
jtesgbdm
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing