Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several of the Navi system entries on my 2012 Odyssey are locked out when in motion, a worthy idea except that passengers should be able to work the Navi system while the driver concentrates on the road. While the driver can make address entries etc. thru the audio system by using voice recognition or when the vehicle is stopped, the passenger cannot while the vehicle is in motion.

We are burdened by this additionally since the secondary driver is deaf and can not use the voice prompts. When she is driving I would like to be able to make address entries etc.

Is there a way to program the system to allow entries while in motion, at least when the passenger seat is occupied?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Interesting... our 2011 TE allows entries while in motion. I thought the disclaimer you "OK" at each start-up covered the legal aspects for Honda, so not sure why they would change this for 2012.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Locking out NAV features? This seems to be a departure from the 2011 models which have full NAV functionality while the car is moving. This works great for me as my wife is often driving the van and I can program our destinations on the go. It would be a real pain in the ass if we had to pull over each time!

This used to be a distinguishing feature of the Honda Odyssey NAV system versus the Toyota Sienna NAV system with the latter also locking out while the car was in motion. I wonder if there were some accidents which prompted Honda to change the way the NAV system operates?

Honda can be very conservative company, especially when it pertains to items that could lead to potential lawsuits. They don't allow videos to be shown on the front NAV screen (even when the van is in park) nor do they allow direct copying of digital files on the HDD music system.

:huh:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I spoke too soon on the 2012 Odyssey. It does allow full Navi access when moving. I found our new 2012 CR-V does not however and assumed the Odyssey was similar...

When I drove into work today I found that the Odyssey Navi DOES allow full address entry when moving.

I had copied and pasted this over from the CR-V Owners forum, it remains a valid concern for that car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Several of the Navi system entries on my 2012 Odyssey are locked out when in motion, a worthy idea except that passengers should be able to work the Navi system while the driver concentrates on the road. While the driver can make address entries etc. thru the audio system by using voice recognition or when the vehicle is stopped, the passenger cannot while the vehicle is in motion.

We are burdened by this additionally since the secondary driver is deaf and can not use the voice prompts. When she is driving I would like to be able to make address entries etc.

Is there a way to program the system to allow entries while in motion, at least when the passenger seat is occupied?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I TOTALLY agree with having this as an option for the passenger. My husband usually drives and doesn't know how to do the voice prompts. I am always having to be the navigator when we travel and would like to be able to input destinations from the passenger seat when we are traveling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts