Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I just wanted to say thank you for all the valuable information and insight on this forum. I have been on here 10 years and appreciate how everyone helps each other to learn and exploring more from their Odyssey.
The whole VCM disaster, the tires and technical issues and other discussions are invaluable!

I am sad to report that we were hit from behind - left rear corner when the car behind us didn't realize we all stopped ahead on a busy 3 lane road. Wife and I were onboard and we were hit around 40 mph. We are okay in grand scheme of things. Nobody else was seriously injured. 4 cars involved in total. No hit and run thank goodness!

Our beloved Odyssey was deemed a total loss and not repairable considering the amount of damage and cost to repair, parts, etc. 4 airbags deployed on the left side including my driver seat. Buckled rear suspension and crushed corner along with jammed rear tailgate. She only had 94k miles and was in excellent shape. We are so sad as we had great road trips and memories with our kids growing up in that van. :(
The Odyssey kept us safe and protected in this crash - even if it wasn't as bad as it could have been (ie rollovers, t-boned,,etc). These things are build very well. I am sure it will be salvaged and all the good parts will go elsewhere to serve others.
Now we are shopping for a replacement. Our boys are 12 and 13 now so maybe more into a 3rd row SUV. It is a horrible time to buy new or used cars! it is crazy these days with all the issues of supply, etc.
Be safe out there and keep your families close. Maybe consider an onboard cameras front and rear incase you need need it later during an incident.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tail & brake light
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tail & brake light

Attachments

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
8,123 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I know what you mean with the market. I lost my Accord in March 2021 and couldn't find anything that wasn't outrageous until this past July.

I hope this never happens to my Odyssey. I know it'll keep the occupants safe, but I'd hate to lose it. Nothing could come close to how reliable it's been.

Reactions: 0dyfamily

· Registered
5,407 Posts
damn Hyundai drivers!
glad everyone is OK.

If it were mine, would buy the salvage and fix it with donor parts and a few pulls on the frame.

If you're sticking with Honda, the passport or pilot are nice suv alternatives.

best to buy new, since the payments can be drawn out over a longer period, and better resale value.

guessing its kind of early for the settlement amount, gather all the retail prices for your model year trim line and miles, recent service receipts, and negotiate hard with the claims adjuster for a decent settlement.

never accept their first offer.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
damn Hyundai drivers!
glad everyone is OK.

If it were mine, would buy the salvage and fix it with donor parts and a few pulls on the frame.

If you're sticking with Honda, the passport or pilot are nice suv alternatives.

best to buy new, since the payments can be drawn out over a longer period, and better resale value.

guessing its kind of early for the settlement amount, gather all the retail prices for your model year trim line and miles, recent service receipts, and negotiate hard with the claims adjuster for a decent settlement.

never accept their first offer.
Thanks! great tips. I appreciate that. I have several comps for the same model in the area. I should know more Monday.

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
8,123 Posts
Sounds like you're pretty well-educated on the matter. You'll be fine, just go in there with an idea of what a reasonable offer is and don't settle for less.

· Registered
183 Posts
Looks like the Ody did its job and sacrificed itself to protect your family. I also really like those aftermarket wheels and snow tire combo. New Pilots are very nice looking. Lots of options out there to consider for a 3rd SUV these days. Good luck on your next ride!

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like the Ody did its job and sacrificed itself to protect your family. I also really like those aftermarket wheels and snow tire combo. New Pilots are very nice looking. Lots of options out there to consider for a 3rd SUV these days. Good luck on your next ride!
Thanks! It did a great job keeping us safe. I too loved those wheels for winter. Good looking and easy to clean. The Blizzaks are awesome. Really bridges the gap for not having AWD.. generally speaking.
Thankfully the tires were on their last season and I didn't buy new ones yet... :)

• Helpful

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well an update:

We have a nice replacement for "Ruby" as my kids named her..

We decided on an almost new 2021 Pilot Touring. Lots of options and really nice. I was totally wanting the newest Pilot but the market is just nuts and I couldn't justify the extra 20k premium above this one.
Honda Certified with 10k miles.. was a loaner car for the dealership. Family loves it. I will miss the extra space and the big sliding doors... Time to start some new memories.

I'll be installing a new Muzzler for it shortly. I removed my original VCMuzzler II from the odyssey - up for sale if anyone is interested. Works great.

Attachments

· Registered
2015 Honda Odyssey EX-L Smoky Topaz Metallic
391 Posts
Well an update:

We have a nice replacement for "Ruby" as my kids named her..

We decided on an almost new 2021 Pilot Touring. Lots of options and really nice. I was totally wanting the newest Pilot but the market is just nuts and I couldn't justify the extra 20k premium above this one.
Honda Certified with 10k miles.. was a loaner car for the dealership. Family loves it. I will miss the extra space and the big sliding doors... Time to start some new memories.

I'll be installing a new Muzzler for it shortly. I removed my original VCMuzzler II from the odyssey - up for sale if anyone is interested. Works great.
Glad that Ruby protected you well. That Pilot looks sharp!

Doesn't the Pilot have the same connectors for the VCM as your Odyssey did? You may be able to just pop your VCM Muzzler II into your new ride.

Too bad the Pilot has the flush rails--you won't be able to use your Thule Crossroads on it.

· Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Man, having been tagged from behind myself ... it's a bit terrifying, right at the time of impact, when things are flying around the cabin of the Odyssey.

Glad family is okay.

R.I.P. for "Ruby." The big gal did good taking care of your family in all ways.

OF

· Registered
185 Posts
That kind of damage I will buy that salvage
Hello all. I just wanted to say thank you for all the valuable information and insight on this forum. I have been on here 10 years and appreciate how everyone helps each other to learn and exploring more from their Odyssey.
The whole VCM disaster, the tires and technical issues and other discussions are invaluable!

I am sad to report that we were hit from behind - left rear corner when the car behind us didn't realize we all stopped ahead on a busy 3 lane road. Wife and I were onboard and we were hit around 40 mph. We are okay in grand scheme of things. Nobody else was seriously injured. 4 cars involved in total. No hit and run thank goodness!

Our beloved Odyssey was deemed a total loss and not repairable considering the amount of damage and cost to repair, parts, etc. 4 airbags deployed on the left side including my driver seat. Buckled rear suspension and crushed corner along with jammed rear tailgate. She only had 94k miles and was in excellent shape. We are so sad as we had great road trips and memories with our kids growing up in that van. :(
The Odyssey kept us safe and protected in this crash - even if it wasn't as bad as it could have been (ie rollovers, t-boned,,etc). These things are build very well. I am sure it will be salvaged and all the good parts will go elsewhere to serve others.
Now we are shopping for a replacement. Our boys are 12 and 13 now so maybe more into a 3rd row SUV. It is a horrible time to buy new or used cars! it is crazy these days with all the issues of supply, etc.
Be safe out there and keep your families close. Maybe consider an onboard cameras front and rear incase you need need it later during an incident.
View attachment 173017 View attachment 173017
I'd like to buy that from salvage yard, rear wheel has independent suspension I can align that, body works easy. airbag and module is the only thing expensive.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad that Ruby protected you well. That Pilot looks sharp!

Doesn't the Pilot have the same connectors for the VCM as your Odyssey did? You may be able to just pop your VCM Muzzler II into your new ride.

Too bad the Pilot has the flush rails--you won't be able to use your Thule Crossroads on it.
Hi. Yes I believe so. I was just interested in the newer one that I don't have to swap out the resistors now and then during summers and colder winters. Other than that- the Muzzler II works awesome.

Yeah- first thing I noticed... flush mounted. So I got the Honda crossbars and I will transfer the Thule over to them. Just been swamped this month.

Reactions: vango5
1 - 14 of 14 Posts