Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Canister got cracked on the interstate last week after running over some road debris. Oof. It's always something. I don't know much about this system other than what it does (i.e. takes gas tank vapors to the intake to be burned). The main question is, is this thing OK to drive another week while I wait for a new canister to arrive?

The check valve looks fine. It appears the aftermarket Intermotor brand and WVE brand come with an integrated valve? yes? no? Anybody have experience with either one of these and have a recommendation on either one? Any other things to look for? Looks like I can get on OEM Honda for about the same price of these aftermarket, but I would need to take out my valve and put it in the new canister? Is that a path I should pursue?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Should be fine to drive. I had to replace mine before after driving through water and canister got flooded.

I got a used OEM part on eBay for about $60 - it included the canister and the valve.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,725 Posts
It'll be fine for a while. Maybe it hit it with some duct tape over the crack. Don't freak out if you get a check engine light.

-Charlie

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good news. I replaced the canister about 3 weeks ago and no issue. Just an FYI, I bought the intermotor part from Advance Auto for about $70. Note for anyone else reading this, the vapor canister vent valve removes by grabbing the exposed electrical connection with some adjustable pliers and twisting it up the incline in the housing. Comes right out with no effort. I found a video on youtube. Thanks for the help.

Now I just need to avoid future 6x6 wood blocks that have fallen from trucks in the middle of the interstate in the pre dawn dark hours of the morning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts