Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Odyssey should be able to load a TIFF or TGP file onto the view screen from a stick drive. The loading routine "sees" the files, but will not load the file onto the screen for use as a wallpaper. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10 Posts
You don't need exact size. I just google what picture that I wanted as wallpaper and have it in .jpg (jpeg) format. Load it into the car with memory stick to store and set the wallpaper to my liking. For voice command to show wallpaper instead of GPS screen would be "display clock"

Check your owner manual-- the file has to be the exact size as specified or it won't load.

·
Registered
687 Posts
From Page 94 of the 2012 Owner's Manual:

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...2/K81212OM.pdf

Wallpaper Setup

> When importing wallpaper files, the image must be in the USB flash drive’s root directory. Images in a folder cannot be imported.

> The file format of the image that can be imported is BMP (bmp) or JPEG (jpg).

>
The maximum image size is 1,024 x 768 pixels. Smaller images are displayed in the middle of the screen with the extra area appearing in black.

;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2012 odyssey EX... i put the image in 1024x768 as bmp format, tiff format, and jpeg in my 16gb USB drive; and when i plug it in the usb slot, and go to import wallpaper, it says it doesnt see any files...
what am i doing wrong, can someone post a picture that theyre using currently on their car to see if it will work on mine?

i also made a few smaller sized pictures to see if it will load, so far. no luck...

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have a 2012 odyssey EX... i put the image in 1024x768 as bmp format, tiff format, and jpeg in my 16gb USB drive; and when i plug it in the usb slot, and go to import wallpaper, it says it doesnt see any files...
Re-read the requirements I posted from the manual. The TIFF image format is not supported and the photos have to be in the USB flash drive's root directroy.

;)

Wallpaper Setup

> When importing wallpaper files, the image must be in the USB flash drive’s root directory. Images in a folder cannot be imported.

>
The maximum image size is 1,024 x 768 pixels. Smaller images are displayed in the middle of the screen with the extra area appearing in black.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Also keep in mind that the USB drive has to be 2GB or smaller. better get a different stick from the 16GB one. Very ridiculous limitation of the drive system. Archaic technology on a brand new machine.

Watchman

·
Registered
21 Posts

Wallpaper Setup

>

;)
Re-read the requirements I posted from the manual. The TIFF image format is not supported and the photos have to be in the USB flash drive's root directroy.

;)

Also keep in mind that the USB drive has to be 2GB or smaller. better get a different stick from the 16GB one. Very ridiculous limitation of the drive system. Archaic technology on a brand new machine.

Watchman
Thanks for the help guys! I got a smaller usb drive and it worked!
Just. Gotta let people know they cant use a thumbdrive bigger than 2gb

·
Registered
687 Posts
I haven't loaded any new wallpapers on my HDD in about a year, but I clearly remember using a 4 GB USB flash drive to do it. So I decided to try it again with a new 16 GB Transcend USB flash drive I recently bought. I copied some 1024x768 jpeg wallpapers (though I think other larger sizes have worked for me) onto the root directory and also put some mp3 albums in folders onto the drive. The wallpapers were detected and copied without any problems onto the HDD. Also, in USB mode, the mp3 albums I copied played back without any problems.

Granted my van is a 2011, but I don't see why they would limit the USB flash drive size in 2012 vans.

:huh:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have to eat some crow I think. Ummmm, I was kind of on the right track with the 2GB comment but rather than getting uppity about the Honda side of things it is more likely that your original flash drive may have been formatted as FAT32 instead of NTFS. It's possible that the vehicle can't handle the FAT32 format which DOES in fact have a file size limitation of 2GB (although I've also seen 4GB mentioned). Anyway, you might want to check the formats of your various flash drives and make sure you use NTFS in the future.....

Watchman (caw caw)

·
Registered
2 Posts
shrink the image size and make sure its JPG...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Prolly a FAT32 issue - I'm an IT person by trade and this is a common issue with other platforms as well - such as PS3.

·
Registered
471 Posts

Wallpaper Setup

>

;)
linky no worky? :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Seriously? I've never been so disappointed in a Honda product in my entire life... I have had 36 month leases on Honda automobiles since 1992 (16 vehicles including this 2012 Odyssey) with my previous 3 being Pilot Touring models and have never experienced the electronic limitations I'm experiencing now. It seems that Honda has fallen off the technology cliff so to speak.... the flash drive has to be 2g or less?.... ridiculous! No music list when streaming?... ridiculous! I can't count on both hands how many times on my last trip from MI to FL that I had to unplug my usb and plug it back in for the audio to play (display shows the songs but no audio)... I just don't get it! I retired from a GM dealership in 2008 and my Suburbans, Impalas, Malibus, Silverados... every one of them streamed audio without a hitch... and I'm using an iPhone which is one of the most compatible phones on the market. If you look at the new Buick commercial you can not only start the car, but turn on the heated seats, set the radio station and control the heat WITH YOUR PHONE!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found something that worked for me when I had trouble downloading my pics into the wallpaper on my 2013 Odyssey. Refer to my previous post to see what I tried that didn't work.

What worked was to (1) save all my data from the USB as a backup first, (it had originally been saved using FAT32 format which couldn't be downloaded into my Odyssey) (2) reformatting my USB from FAT 32 to FAT (the only way I found to do that was to reformat the USB -- destroying all data on it, hence the save in step 1), (2) copying the saved data back onto the newly FAT formatted USB, (3) opening each picture I wanted to use for wallpaper in Windows Office Picture Manager and resizing so that each dimension of the picture was 1024 or less by 768 or less, (3) saving the resized pictures back onto the USB stick, then (4) following the owner's manual instructions for downloading wallpaper from a USB stick into the display. I hope this helps anyone else who is befuddled by Honda's tricky wallpaper import system.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts