Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Odyssey touring started sputtering yesterday and the check engine light came on along with a warning on Emissions. I turned the key off and gave it a few minutes and cranked it again and it went along fine. Today same thing happened but it wouldn't stop. My husband, who is a pretty fabulous mechanic (not by profession) is stumped. He has checked and it seems as though coils and spark plugs are fine. Rear three cylinders are cutting out. Code showed cylinder issues. Seems as if the VCM (ugh) system is turning the cylinders off once engine is warm. Any ideas on why it's doing this?? Very frustrated and trying to avoid the dealership! Please advise if you can! Thanks so much!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The VCM may be a dealer only repair. Before going to the dealer, you might want to disconnect the battery, wait a few minutes and then reconnect it. Sometimes a reboot fixes things.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Battery was disconnected for a good while and didn't help. I don't know the numbers of the codes but I do remember it was cylinder 1 and 5 issues and one more. Hubby just ran to store so I can't ask him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hubby is taking it in at 7:30 tomorrow. He read about a class action lawsuit. Should he mention that? Would that be part of the issue?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, sounds like the P0301-4 error code. It is a piston ring recall that has a class action lawsuit so Honda provided an extended warranty repair for that. 8yrs from purchase if i remember correctly. I had my Ody TE 2012 done about a month and a half ago. My friends Ody done 2 months ago. so it is a known issue that Honda covers. It affects vehicles 39K - 48K miles on them. Honda will open up ur engine and replace a bunch of things on the pistons/cyl heads/etc... and will take them about 5days depending how busy they are. let us know how they do after the job.

here is my thread for what i may be experiencing now..
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/9-problems-concerns/249050-p030x-code-piston-rings-repaired-2012-ody-but-after-effect-results-anyone.html

hope your mechanic does a better job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts