Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I honestly want to know from a qualified Honda Odyssey service technician,or anyone else who is a genius about automobiles,have they ever replaced the timing belt on a Honda odyssey that was defective, not due to suggested replacement times or by choice. I am asking if they have ever replaced a 2012 Honda Odyssey timing belt that failed no matter what the mileage?

·
Registered
11,012 Posts
They fail all the time. Usually the tensioners go bad, the belt slips, and that's all she wrote. Are you deciding whether or not to play the lottery and not replace yours? There are posts here all the time about failed belts and owners deciding whether or not to replace the engine, remove cylinder heads, etc. If your belt fails it will cost you about $2500-3000 or more to have your engine repaired.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They fail all the time. Usually the tensioners go bad, the belt slips, and that's all she wrote. Are you deciding whether or not to play the lottery and not replace yours? There are posts here all the time about failed belts and owners deciding whether or not to replace the engine, remove cylinder heads, etc. If your belt fails it will cost you about $2500-3000 or more to have your engine repaired.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, John...you have personally replaced a timing belt on a 2012 Odyssey? I've heard they fail all the time, but have you, as a Honda mechanic, which was part of my original question, EVER replaced a belt on a 2012 Odyssey? I get the tensioners, I understand the risk, I know the cost, and I am not playing the lottery. I am just asking the question and would appreciate a straight up answer!

·
Registered
11,012 Posts
Yes, I have replaced lots of belts on a 2012 Odyssey. I have not replaced a broken one. A broken one simply requires first replacing the belt and tensioner and then doing a compression or leak down test to determine which valves are bad, followed by cylinder head removal.

What is the question you really want answered?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John...you answered the question. You haven't replaced a belt because of belt failure, a broken one. Thank you. I appreciate your input and understand what you are saying. I plan on a new Odyssey this model year as I have 130K on the 2012. Everytime I take the current one in for service, I get the wrath of God put in me for not having the belt replace at the 105K manufacturer recommendation.

·
Registered
11,012 Posts
So, you ARE you playing the timing belt lottery game, hoping you win. The recommended service interval is not a magic number where the belt breaks at 106K miles after the 105k mile mark is passed. The risk starts to go up exponentially, however. The belts DO fail. I do not work at a Honda dealership where I'm sure many of these cars come in as a no-start or a rough running engine due to a failed timing belt, but there are plenty of cases right here on the forums where people have had timing belts fail, some with even fewer miles than you (by the way the timing belt parts are the same from 2005-2017). The tensioners on these fail all the time and will often start a clacking noise when cold. I don't do the broken ones because I usually don't do heavy maintenance (cylinder head removal) for others in my small garage. I can't have my garage tied up that long with someone else's car.

You can soldier on without replacing it, feeling as though you're sticking it to the man by avoiding the the dealership who only wants to empty your wallet by doing what you consider to be unneeded maintenance. Yes, dealerships empty the wallets but the maintenance is definitely needed if you want continued service from the vehicle. I have seen these cars go close to 200K on original timing belts but I've also seen them not make even the 105K service interval (especially in extreme hot/cold climates.) There are lots of failures in the 100-150K range by those who either don't care to do the service or don't even know its recommended.

Your car, your decision.

·
Registered
4 Posts
HI I am a 20 year Honda master tech and John is right these belts will break. I have seen broken ones, the belt teeth stripped off of the, tensioner fail causing belt to jump which will cause very costly repairs and or require engine replacement. So yes the belt breaking is a real issue that can and will happen

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Matt, and John again.I'm going to purchase new over the next few weeks, but I hear where you are coming from and appreciate your input.

·
Registered
4 Posts
if you don't take it to a Honda dealership make sure they replace T-belt, tensioner, water pump, and serpentine belt if worn. And if you don't take it to Honda I would request use of Honda parts at least do to the fact I have seen aftermarket tensioners fail shortly after replacement and aftermarket water pumps leak which basically require's you to have to do job all over again. I have had to do job over for people many time's do to poor parts sadly.

·
Registered
11,012 Posts
Ditto on that. Sounds like he's going to replace the whole car rather than put $800-1200 into a timing belt. For anyone else reading, don't use a Dayco, Gates, Ultra-Power, AC Delco or any other off-brand kits just because they are cheap. Aftermarket water pumps (GMB, Gates, etc.) are actually the only ones I've ever seen leak. I've never seen a Honda or Aisin water pump leak.

That said, I've had OEM Honda tensioners fail prior to the service interval. My first J35 timing belt job was my own back in 2013 at around 100K miles. I used all genuine Honda parts. The replacement Honda tensioner started to make noise at 188K miles, about 20K miles early. I've replaced a few 2013 Honda Odyssey timing belts since then that had the same early failure (clacking noise) of the tensioner, at around 70-80K. Not sure if there was some quality control issues in 2013 or if that's just a coincidence but I've seen it numerous times. On nearly every timing belt job I do, however, I find the tensioner leaking oil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes John, I'm taking that 800-1200 and putting it toward the down on a new Touring, with 105,000 miles to go on the timing belt!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts