Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2012 Odyssey Touring Elite a few days ago and already drove it across the country without issue. Nothing seemed abnormal. I get it home and now the alarm sounds every single time I press the lock button on the key fob and start to walk away. Pressing the unlock button stops the alarm. I tried some of the tips on YouTube about disabling the alarm under the hood, but it didn’t work (all videos were for older model Odyssey’s, so I may not have been doing it right.) I noticed a little blue blinking light under the steering wheel that hadn’t been blinking before, so I went ahead and disabled that which did the trick. The car now locks without triggering the alarm. The problem I’m having now is that with the little blue light off (if someone wants to tell me the name of it, that would be great), the horn honks quickly 3 times when I turn the key in the ignition. Any idea what is going on here and how I can fix it? Would like to avoid heading to the dealership for a diagnoses if I can.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Make sure that one of the doors is not open, or open light on. You can get around this by locking the doors with the driver door lock button and then shutting the door.

·
Registered
13,593 Posts
You have a crappy aftermarket alarm. The oem alarm does not have a little blue blinking light under the steering wheel. (there is a blinking red light in the speedo cluster) We just bought an used Acura from a dealer with a similar alarm. We declined it, but they left the guts inside. When starting, it would also honk the horn. I complained loudly and got it all removed except for the little box with that light. (they don't want to remove that because it will leave a couple of screw holes) These alarms are all dealer profit. They get installed on all of the cars on the lot. It allows the salesman to use a universal fob to unlock cars and maybe offers the dealer some extra protection while the cars sit there. It costs them about $40-60 to install, another $40. to install a module to activate them upon sale and they charge over $1000. for them. I suggest you try to find someone to remove the whole damn thing. Otherwise, you may be stuck when the ignition cut off fails. You will still have the factory alarm that is a simple perimeter alarm that uses the door light switches and hood latch to check for arming. Car alarms are useless, everybody ignores them. What you have added on is just an annoyance, to your neighbors and now you.

Also, to repeat here, for those that have the factory alarm (EX and above) the second key fob press, that sounds the horn, does not make your van any more armed. It just annoys the neighbors. Whenever you lock and that red light is flashing, you are armed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts