Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're expecting twins in November and currently have a 2005 MDX to haul the family around. With the twins we will be 6 and the MDX can hold six but it won't be comfortable. Used to have a 2000 Odyssey EX but sold it last year!

So now, we're looking to get back into an Odysey but I can't seem to find info/rumors on what changes will come with the 2012 model. We will probably wait until Dec or early next year to get one.

What's the scoop?

·
Super Moderator
13,837 Posts
Although my crystal ball broke last week, I don't think there are going to be any changes. A change in color or two perhaps if even that. Honda doesn't put out changes the very next year after a barand new model. They usually do that a couple of years into the model. So, 2013 or 2014 might have a mid model refresh. 2012 most likely will be exactly the same as 2011 if Honda sticks to what they normally do.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Although my crystal ball broke last week, I don't think there are going to be any changes. A change in color or two perhaps if even that. Honda doesn't put out changes the very next year after a barand new model. They usually do that a couple of years into the model. So, 2013 or 2014 might have a mid model refresh. 2012 most likely will be exactly the same as 2011 if Honda sticks to what they normally do.
+1...there might be a new color or two for 2012 at best

·
Super Moderator
13,837 Posts
+1...there might be a new color or two for 2012 at best
Your crystal ball broke too? Darn it. What's going on with everyone's crystal balls breaking?

:D

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
What's the scoop?
Since the 4th generation design managed to upset some 3rd and 2nd gen owners Honda is going to jump to the 5th generation for 2012 in hopes to make them happy :D :D

J/k. yes, as mentioned by the members above, a couple of different colors and maybe a different set of hub caps for the LX or different wheels for the EX-EX-L, something subtle like that

Honda just spent tons of money on R&D and factory overhauling to make the new generation so I bet there is no budget for drastic updates until the mid-cycle refresh :dunno:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am waiting as well for the 2012. I'm really hoping for the intellegent key, but not very hopeful. I guess it doesn't hurt to wait, if anything, we would prob get a better deal towards year end.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm planning to buy a Honda Odyssey EX-L in Canada...... but since we're already in mid 2011, I'm thinking of waiting for a 2012 model instead. Does the next model year typically come around Sept or Nov?

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'm planning to buy a Honda Odyssey EX-L in Canada...... but since we're already in mid 2011, I'm thinking of waiting for a 2012 model instead. Does the next model year typically come around Sept or Nov?
The 2011 Honda Odyssey was available in the USA on September 30 2010 and in Canada on October 22, 2010.

;)

·
Registered
786 Posts
To give you an idea, from 05 to 06, the EXL's got a leather steering wheel and shift knob, and the "Odyssey" emblem was moved from the right side of the tailgate, to the left. Beyond that, there were no other notable changes. The first color changes came in 07, as well as a few other changes before the refresh in 08. There are changes every year, but usually nothing worth waiting for. If you show me a 3rd gen Ody, I can tell you if its a 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009/2010. The last 2 years I was unable to find any differences. Also, not all of those changes were for the better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Really tempted to go with the Touring Elite... I haven't set foot in a dealership yet - so I haven't really sat/test driven one. All my research has been on-line. I'm hoping that I'll be satisfied with the EX-L.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Really tempted to go with the Touring Elite... I haven't set foot in a dealership yet - so I haven't really sat/test driven one. All my research has been on-line. I'm hoping that I'll be satisfied with the EX-L.
You should be satisfied by the EX-L, but you will be tempted by the Touring Elite. That's what happened to me and the rest is history!

:redface:

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am waiting as well for the 2012. I'm really hoping for the intellegent key, but not very hopeful.
I really don't understand why Honda didn't put this feature in the 2011, especially in the touring - gross oversight - the ignition is electronic already (that is, if you just flip the key, it starts on its own - the computer determines how long to crank the engine). My wife loved that feature of the Sienna XLE (you have to get the nav package though). And I won't carry the Ody remote key around because it is so darn big. I can't stand it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
And I won't carry the Ody remote key around because it is so darn big. I can't stand it.
I can live with a physical key...but why not make it compact or pop-up? It would be better in my front pocket!

:frown:

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I can live with a physical key...but why not make it compact or pop-up? It would be better in my front pocket!

:frown:

Ya, Acura has a nice flip key, why couldn't they use that for the honda.

atleast make it a touring elite exclusive, poor people should suffer... right? jk

I agree, a smart key would be nice and convenient, but come on, a flip key that's not too much to ask right?
It's too bad Acura has no key with all the sliding door buttons, otherwise I would have bought one from Acura and got it programmed to work with the van.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Ya, Acura has a nice flip key, why couldn't they use that for the honda.

atleast make it a touring elite exclusive, poor people should suffer... right? jk
Honda is just weird with features, some of them are just made too complex (turning expensive like the gas door system) but they let go on others that are cheap but can make the cars even more attractive. Even my cheapo Mazda has the flip key (since the 2006 model). I think it is the big corporation way of working :(

·
Registered
122 Posts
2012 Honda Odyssey si ??

Does anyone know or think that Honda is going to add new Trim to compete with Toyota Sienna se. I think that Sienna se low ground make up is too much. I am not sure how well it will age in overtime.

Honda can keep it plain or do very small custom work. I have some doubt honda.
Are they watching their competitor or are they in their own world?:)

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
^^ An Odyssey Si would be an interesting trim, I actually looked closely at the Sienna SE (for the appearance and the mild-tuning) but the features and fake leather killed it compared to a Sienna XLE at the end.

Now, a couple of things come to mind:

• Honda is after the money, so if the Sienna SE has not done well (I've not seen that many on the road) then chances are that Honda is not even considering it.
  • Honda has become a very conservative on certain trims in North America. I've only seen factory packaging done to the Civic with the Si and Mugen Si, The CR-Z Mugen and to the Accord Coupe HFP (Honda Factory Performance Package) so again, the van does not seem not on the top list.

Anyway, I bet there are some Honda fans around here, their assessment might be better than mine :(

1 - 20 of 169 Posts